Getting Involved in Student Clubs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

forcetopher451

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an OMS1 that is just two weeks into school. I can feel things starting to heat up, but so far fairing quite well. Having taken anatomy extensively in undergrad, I feel very comfortable with anatomy lab material, and am interested in getting involved with the Dissection Club as an officer. My cousin (an OMS4) has cautioned against spreading myself too thin. I do not want to put too much on my plate so early into school, however I really enjoyed doing dissection and being an anatomy TA in undergrad and I believe I would find it rewarding. Any thoughts on whether or not I should hold off on going after officer positions in clubs?

Thanks!

P.S.
In case this is helpful information, I am currently more interested in IM or EM for specialties, but am open to changing.

Members don't see this ad.

I am an OMS1 that is just two weeks into school. I can feel things starting to heat up, but so far fairing quite well. Having taken anatomy extensively in undergrad, I feel very comfortable with anatomy lab material, and am interested in getting involved with the Dissection Club as an officer. My cousin (an OMS4) has cautioned against spreading myself too thin. I do not want to put too much on my plate so early into school, however I really enjoyed doing dissection and being an anatomy TA in undergrad and I believe I would find it rewarding. Any thoughts on whether or not I should hold off on going after officer positions in clubs?

Thanks!

P.S.
In case this is helpful information, I am currently more interested in IM or EM for specialties, but am open to changing.

It sounds like you would enjoy it and find it rewarding, you should do it. There are a large group of students who really struggle with anatomy that could use your help. Some people do clubs for the "resume building" when in reality no one cares about clubs when reviewing your app for residency. Volunteer/help in ways you enjoy.

Reactions: 2 users
Same as the poster above said, plus it would give you interview fodder which comes at a premium for many people.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Do it for something to put on your eras app and interview fodder

It sounds like you would enjoy it and find it rewarding, you should do it. There are a large group of students who really struggle with anatomy that could use your help. Some people do clubs for the "resume building" when in reality no one cares about clubs when reviewing your app for residency. Volunteer/help in ways you enjoy.
Thanks for the response! I definitely want to be a resource for my classmates. And I really enjoy anatomy!

Reactions: 1 user