Getting Kicked out of a Caribbean Medical School, what now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premedstud101

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm currently facing a dismissal from a Caribbean Medical school after failing a course. So I was wondering about what possible suggestions do you have for me to continue on taking my degree at another school where I left off? I mean are there any other decent schools that would allow me advanced standing on courses I already passed?

Thanks!

Side note: I've been through some rough times personally this past term and I've seen some very negative comments on these forums before. So, I'd like this to be an open discussion but if you have insulting/useless comments, please keep them to yourself.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you were kicked out I would consider going back home and pursuing a different career. If not you can go to one of the lower Caribbean schools like Windsor, St James. But your chances of matching are very slim and most likely you will be pursuing a different career in the end anyways.

Not everyone was meant to be a doctor.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,

I'm currently facing a dismissal from SGU after failing a course. So I was wondering about what possible suggestions do you have for me to continue on taking my degree at another school where I left off? I mean are there any other decent schools that would allow me advanced standing on courses I already passed?

Thanks!

Side note: I've been through some rough times personally this past term and I've seen some very negative comments on these forums before. So, I'd like this to be an open discussion but if you have insulting/useless comments, please keep them to yourself.

Need more information before I can answer your question. I understand that you don't want to reveal too much (and you shouldn't). How close were you to passing? What was your relationship like with you advisor before failing? (i.e., did you meet with them when you realized you were in trouble). How did you do on midterms and unifieds? How were the rest of your grades? How has the rest of your academic career been? Have you decel'ed any classes previously?

The bad news is that you're behind the eight ball and need to scramble to salvage this, you're already going to be behind doing these things. The good news is that it can be done, especially at SGU where they are willing to work with you. I know people that have done it. So, pressing on then.

First of all, you need to do a little soul-searching and decide if this is really what you want from your life. Make sure this is really what YOU want and not what somebody else wants from you. You have basically one shot left to be a practicing physician, and anything less than 100% commitment on your part is probably going to end in financial catastrophe for you. Figure your **** out, one way or the other.

Second, you need to exhaust every possibility of getting back into SGU, because a dismissal/transfer is going to be a major red flag for you down the line. Start a conversation ASAP with the professor of the class, your advisor, Dr. Rao (Dean of Students), and DES. If you had personal issues that impacted your grades, they ALL need to know about it. Work with DES to figure out your deficiencies and come up with a plan to correct them. Explain the reason for your failure but don't make excuses for it. You CAN and SHOULD appeal your dismissal before the advancement committee. If it's at all possible, meet with Dr. Rao and/or the committee in person (he is often in the US during the summer for meetings, an $800 plane ticket is worth it to salvage your career). Some professors and advisors will really go to bat for you at these meetings, do your best to make a positive impression with them and make them understand why this is so important to you. Do that by ALREADY having a strategic plan mapped out with DES to improve your study habits.

Third, start coming up with a backup and backup-backup plan. I don't really have any information on getting advanced standing with another Carib medical school. I'm not sure you should do that if even if you can, because I think you will just be delaying the consequences to your residency placement when you will be 3 years older and deeper in debt than you are now. Your best long-term bet would be to get reinstated at SGU. Barring that, you will need to pause and step back and re-evaluate your position, and decide whether you want to continue pursuing education or begin working to start paying off your debt.

I hope that helps. You've put yourself in a bad position, but you can bounce back from it if you're willing to hustle.

If you're getting kicked out of a Caribbean school during your first year.... it might be time to take a step back and reconsider your choice of path before you rack up another $100,000 in debt.

Reactions: 1 user
Sorry to say it, but it would be really foolish to go forward with medical school. While you CAN appeal the dismissal, you will not win the appeal. That's reality. failing out is failing out... there isnt enough room for interpretation of that for a committee to change their minds. Getting a residency is hard enough from the caribs, way more so if you have an F on your record, and damn near impossible if you have a dismissal on your record.