Getting letters of recommendation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

okokok

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm having trouble getting to know attendings well enough to ask for a letter. I get great evals by residents and work well with them, but we work with a different attending almost every other day and it's usually just an hour of rounding. I'm nervous as I've almost completed my clerkship in my desired field and I've identified no one I could get a great letter from. Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

You should be able to get 1-2 letters from your sub-I. Talk to upperclassmen at your school to see what they did. Working with a different attending every day for a whole rotation is not the norm.

You should be able to get 1-2 letters from your sub-I. Talk to upperclassmen at your school to see what they did. Working with a different attending every day for a whole rotation is not the norm.
Thanks for the reply. I didn't realize this was an option, actually, so I just looked up the timeline to see when I should do a sub-I.

It looks like residencies receive ERAS applications Sept. 15. My fourth year starts the first week of July (with my last clerkship of 3rd year ending a couple days before). So I should do a sub-I the month of July, hopefully get a couple letter writers, and then they will have the month of August to get the letter done. Should I then take August off for Step 2?

Also, any advice about how to get letters during a sub-I vs during a 3rd year clerkship? I've been with a couple students doing sub-I's on the clerkships I've done so far, and they really haven't seemed to have gotten any more face time with attendings than I do.

I don't know many upperclassmen at my school, to be honest, as each class is pretty isolated, so I'd appreciate any more advice.