Getting Licensed in Texas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

texanpsychdoc

Clinical Psychologist & Assistant Professor
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, luck would have it that I will be moving from Ohio to Houston, Texas in September. With that in mind, I am looking to get licensed in Texas. I find their website to not exactly be as clear as I had hoped for. I even emailed the board asking for clarification, and their response was just as convoluted as their website. I got licensed here in Ohio in 2021 without needing a post-doc since I had accrued the 3600 hours combined from internship and practica. Alternatively, I just spent the last year at the VA as a GS-11 staff psychologist, where over the course of this year, even while being licensed, I opted to still receive consultation/supervision weekly. Thus, this past year was my informal post-doc/job. With this in mind, I am wondering if I still have to go through the two-phase licensure process in Texas whereby I am granted a license under "provisional" status before I am granted the full license. My understanding (from what I read), is the provisional status is meant for people who are lacking the post-doc requirement (and may the EPPP?). Since neither are the case for me, shouldn't I be able to just apply for my full-fledge license?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, that is my understanding as well. You wouldn't be provisional.

So, in my attempt (still in the process of) to take the laws exam, this has been a real S*** show :) It's like a darn Easter egg hunt here. They do not make it easy to find the relevant laws that pertain to the practice of psychology. Even after viewing the recommended laws, chapters, etc. that span various areas, there are still things that are not surfacing. It's like they want you to break the law. At least in Ohio, it was simple. When you signed up for the laws exam, you could access the relevant PDF that contained all of the pertinent laws that were applicable to psychologists' practice in Ohio. You needed to memorize them so that you could answer 5 questions orally across several domains. That was it.

They're probably going to require that you change your screenname as part of the licensing process.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users