Getting Married to Graduate Debt Free

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fel Cactus Fru

Reaction score
As a preface my girlfriend and I have been together for about five years now, we survived three years of long distance in undergrad, have a dog together, and have been living together happily for the past year. We are in no rush to get married but live a committed lifestyle in which we are both sure that it'll happen someday down the road. Her family is well-off and she has a 529 that still has about 120k left in it that she didn't spend on her education in undergrad. She isn't planning on pursuing further education and offered to transfer her account to me for medical school since we want to have as little debt as possible and taking on 200k would be a large hurdle down the road. I attended a less prestigious undergraduate university on a full ride scholarship in order to not accumulate debt. I don't want to be making payments for an eternity and my FAFSA offering left so much to be desired at 45k a year with 6+% APR.

The big dilemma is we would be getting married solely for the purpose of being able to transfer her unused 529 funds. We are only 22 years old and aren't quite ready for the title of husband and wife. Not because it would make a difference in our dynamic but because we both still feel like we're kids at heart and aren't ready to be boring married adults. And if we're being honest, we have always been the ones to judge the 'ring by spring' type because we are really confident in our relationship and we aren't motivated by religion and lust in our decision to wed. We would simply have a court date and reap the tax benefits of having a spouse until we were ready to be engaged and have an actual ceremony years down the road. It would be a financial decision more than anything else.

Which is why it feels a tad gross.

We'd be making a huge life decision that we're ultimately not ready for in order to conduct a business transaction. Alternatively, when we marry down the line she'll be taking on my debt that wouldn't exist had we gotten married sooner. Marriage and kids and everything has been something we've been discussing since we were seventeen. We're not afraid of marriage and we know that we want the same things in life. We're just really young still and we don't know what kind of hell medical school is yet on relationships-- but we also know that we made it through undergrad long distance (like 900 miles long distance), and how much more stringent can medical school be?

Do we get married?

Members don't see this ad.

No.

Look, here's the deal. If you are not ready to get married, then do not - I repeat - DO NOT get married. Marriage is hard. Medical school is a beast, and it tests even the strongest of relationships. I have been with the same girl since 18 (now 23) living 500 miles apart for undergrad, but we have still not gotten married due to how medical school can break things. Even people who do not go to medical school have a divorce rate over 50%. So, lets play the game. Lets say ya'll's relationship survives, and then you all get married AFTER school when ready. Her 120k would / should still be there to pay off what debt you do have from medical school - after all you'll be closer to 200-300k in debt, so that 120k will not cover all of it. Second, her parents might die, in which case, she inherits the money and you pay off your school (morbid, but a possibility). Third, doctors go into such large debt, but they always pay it off; why? because they make enough money too. You will not struggle.

Lets play the reverse game. You get married BEFORE school, she transfers funds to help pay for school. You all get a divorce in the middle of school or right afterwords, and she sues you for (+/-) 30% of your salary due to the fact that she footed 30% of your medical education.

Which boat would you rather be in?

Reactions: 4 users
My engagement got recently broken with someone whom I’ve been with since I was a teenager (now 23).

You change a lot in your 20’s and sometimes that’s when you realize the relationship isn’t meant to be anymore.

If you take the easy road now then you risk an extremely complicated and messy divorce later.

Members don't see this ad :)
You’re not losing 120k if you don’t use it. You’ll just get taxed on it if you don’t use it for education. Don’t get married right now, you’re not ready. If you were ready you wouldn’t have made this thread.

Reactions: 2 users
As a preface my girlfriend and I have been together for about five years now, we survived three years of long distance in undergrad, have a dog together, and have been living together happily for the past year. We are in no rush to get married but live a committed lifestyle in which we are both sure that it'll happen someday down the road. Her family is well-off and she has a 529 that still has about 120k left in it that she didn't spend on her education in undergrad. She isn't planning on pursuing further education and offered to transfer her account to me for medical school since we want to have as little debt as possible and taking on 200k would be a large hurdle down the road. I attended a less prestigious undergraduate university on a full ride scholarship in order to not accumulate debt. I don't want to be making payments for an eternity and my FAFSA offering left so much to be desired at 45k a year with 6+% APR.

The big dilemma is we would be getting married solely for the purpose of being able to transfer her unused 529 funds. We are only 22 years old and aren't quite ready for the title of husband and wife. Not because it would make a difference in our dynamic but because we both still feel like we're kids at heart and aren't ready to be boring married adults. And if we're being honest, we have always been the ones to judge the 'ring by spring' type because we are really confident in our relationship and we aren't motivated by religion and lust in our decision to wed. We would simply have a court date and reap the tax benefits of having a spouse until we were ready to be engaged and have an actual ceremony years down the road. It would be a financial decision more than anything else.

Which is why it feels a tad gross.

We'd be making a huge life decision that we're ultimately not ready for in order to conduct a business transaction. Alternatively, when we marry down the line she'll be taking on my debt that wouldn't exist had we gotten married sooner. Marriage and kids and everything has been something we've been discussing since we were seventeen. We're not afraid of marriage and we know that we want the same things in life. We're just really young still and we don't know what kind of hell medical school is yet on relationships-- but we also know that we made it through undergrad long distance (like 900 miles long distance), and how much more stringent can medical school be?

Do we get married?
No

If you wouldn’t marry her today without that money on the table you shouldn’t marry her. It feels gross because it’s gross

Reactions: 2 users
The 529 plan shouldn't grow too much slower than your 6% loan interest so you're not losing too much in the long run (although I'm pretty sure you have to pay taxes on it to pay off student loans even though they're related to higher education). Still, I don't think it's worth rushing into marriage for

It's all about context...

As a preface my girlfriend and I have been together for about five years now, .... she has a 529 ...

I thought this was going to be about marrying someone who had a higher MCAT... I'm thinking damn, that girlfriend is going to get a free ride somewhere...

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
You are ok with living together, taking her 100 grand, but feel uncomfortable about marrying her?

I'm against people living together and acting married who aren't, but this is just weird.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.