Getting MD in 3yrs in Canada

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

newdude

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have heard there are 3-year med schools in Canada, can some one PLEASE list them.
I'm thinking about applying to them, since I'm a reapplicant.

Any one know if it hurts to have canadian MD for US allopathic residencies (i'm us citizen). Canadian MD probably opens more doors then offshore MD. Am I right in this viewpoint.

Members don't see this ad.

University of Calgary (Calgary,Alberta)
McMaster University (Hamilton,Ontario)

newdude said:
I have heard there are 3-year med schools in Canada, can some one PLEASE list them.
I'm thinking about applying to them, since I'm a reapplicant.

Any one know if it hurts to have canadian MD for US allopathic residencies (i'm us citizen). Canadian MD probably opens more doors then offshore MD. Am I right in this viewpoint.

I don't think it will hurt at all. All Canadian and American schools are under the same LCME accreditation so you would be set for the first round of the Canadian match and competitive in the US match provided USMLE etc. was competitive. Keep in mind that Canadian schools are very competitive to get into so I would suggest applying in the US as well. Best of luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think McMaster or UofC accept international students. The only schools in Canada that take non-Canadian citizens/permanent residents are McGill and Toronto, both of which are 4-year programs.

Oops, my bad!

How many international students (i.e., American) do McMaster and UCalgary accept each cycle?

PublicHealth said:
How many international students (i.e., American) do McMaster and UCalgary accept each cycle?
I don't know about McMaster, but the short answer according to the following website is - "Zero".

I was in the UCalgary Class of 2005 as part of the "formal, contractual agreement" that they speak of. It also meant that I couldn't stay for residency unless I paid the U a 5-digit sum of money every year or took my chances applying only to Memorial.

PublicHealth said:
Calgary won't admit internationals unless there is a contractual agreement between Calgary and some overseas nation (who will pay them enough money). Don't apply as an international to McMaster either. I promise that they won't admit you - even though they will allow you to apply. You'll have a chance only at McGill, Toronto, and perhaps Newfoundland. I have first-hand experience and know many others who have also. Good luck!