Getting More Financial Aid

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chicubs

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am an MS-IV graduating this May. I have always qualified for up to apprx. $50,000 in financial aid each year, but due to support from my parents, have only taken out $26,000. Now that I am graduating and planning on being financially independent, I was looking at residency reloation loans. However, it occurred to me that rather than take out one of these loans, it may be a better idea to take out additional financial aid loans b/c of lower interest rates, ability to consolidate, etc. So my questions are:

1) Does anyone have any experience taking out additional financial aid later in the academic year, and what sorts of reasons does one need to give to get the additional money? It is my understanding that financial aid, once tuition is paid, can be used however one wants.

2) Also, is it too late in the year to get the money, being that I graduate in about one month? I was looking to borrow an additional $5,000-10,000.

3) Is this a good idea; i.e., will I be saving money in terms of interest paid by taking out more financial aid and then consolidating at today's low interest rates? I also plan on applying for deferment/forebearance on my student loans.

Thanks for any input!

Members don't see this ad.

I thought that it was a good idea, so I did the exact same thing that you are thinking about doing (except I did it at the beginning of the year). Federal loans have a lower interest rate, fewer fees, and are easier to do things like consolidate then those private "relocation" loans. I'd go talk with your financial aid counselor about it now, because if your award statement said that you qualified for those funds, you should have access to them before the school year ends. It takes a couple of weeks for the process to go through though, so I'd go right away.