Getting My Feet Wet

Started by tarot
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

tarot

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Because I didn't want to hijack the thread New Lawyer Considering Career Change, I thought I'd start a new one along the same vein.

I'm in somewhat of a similar situation as the OP in that thread (s/he is a newly minted lawyer considering a career in medicine). I'm in my final year of law school and have been volunteering in the ER for a few months now (which I love and look forward to every week!). By the time I start my pre-reqs next year, I'll have been volunteering twice a week for eight or nine months. I have a job lined up in contract compliance (J.D. preferred, but no bar passage required) so I'll have graduated from law school but I won't actually be an attorney.

When I apply during the 2019/2020 cycle, I'll have been out of school for three or four years, hopefully volunteering and shadowing at my local med center throughout that time. Is the fact that I started this non-trad pre-med process before I even finished law school a major concern? I don't think I'll hate alternative careers, but I really do love going into the hospital every week to volunteer and I can't wait to learn more skills to be of more help.

Will admins think I haven't given law "enough" of a try or will my eight or nine months of volunteering prior to starting pre-reqs demonstrate that I have thought seriously about this and am not just drifting from career to career and degree to degree? Is the fact that I don't intend to practice law another serious concern?

Is there anything else I can do to demonstrate that I'm serious about this and not just flighty?
 
I'm just a fellow nontrad applicant so feel free to take everything I say with a grain of salt. 😉

I think the best thing you can do to show med schools that you're serious and committed to a career in medicine is to gain more experience during your post-bacc years. Definitely keep volunteering but also try to shadow MDs/DOs in as many different specialties/settings as you can. Volunteering is awesome but med schools will probably also want to see that you have some understanding of what being a physician actually entails. Volunteering alone doesn't always give you that. (Although patient contact is equally important)

I think as long as you can demonstrate WHY you want to be a doctor and show evidence that you've explored the field, you'll be fine. If you're still interested in law, there are definitely ways to combine your knowledge/experience in that area with medicine, too. But if not, don't feel obligated to keep that up. Some of us take a more circuitous route to medical school and I think, ultimately, it makes for more diverse and interesting doctors.