Getting nervous. Need reassurance.

Started by kate414
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

kate414

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I applied to quite a few post-bac programs that would really help me to get the pre-req's completed and get me into medical school. I am already 27 years old and am looking at being about 30 when I start medical school, God willing. So, I am getting a little nervous because I have been reading about how hard it is to get student loans these days. My credit is AWFUL as I went through a divorce last year that left me....well, lets just say, screwed. So, any advice? If I file the FAFSA for next year, will those loans cover post bac?

My other question is I applied to some schools that start spring semester and some that start summer of 2009. People are pushing me to just do it and not worry about the finances, but how can I? I just am really nervous given the economy these days to leave a full time job, benefits, stability, etc to go into medicine. But I also have this spark that it telling me not to let the opportunity slip away. I am just getting really nervous.
 
It sounds like you're in a tough place. I admire your tenacity in pursuing a post-bac, even in the middle of everything else going on in your life. In case you do decide that you don't want all those loans, can you do your pre-med sequence at your state university? Also, after digging through Maryland's website a bit, I get the impression that their "Science in the Evening" program actually charges in-state tuition even for non-residents, as long as you take the evening classes (daytime courses are charged out-of-state rates for non-residents).

I'm still thinking through whether or not loans are worth it at this juncture for me (assuming I'll have a huge debt burden down the road), and so I'm giving serious thought to working part-time while doing pre-reqs in state. If I got in, I would be tempted to spring for a formal program, though. Guess you have to consider the investment you make to increase your chances of making it through to medical school.

I think that whether you start in spring or summer, youll wind up in the same application year, right? Unless you have a head start on the coursework, that is. In that case, I would recommend making the decision only after you have as much information as possible about your options. Maybe hold onto your job through the spring if a great summer-start program works out?

Good luck!
 
Well, the best case scenario would be that I am admitted to a program that starts in the summer because then I can keep my full time job right up until then and bank as much money as possible. But of course, that is that I get accepted into a formal program.

I had a phone interview with Bennington yesterday and they invited me to campus for another interview. Also waiting to hear back from Boston University and Brandeis University, which I may be able to work part time at my current job and drive into Boston for night classes since it is not far away at all. I guess I just am keeping my options open, and trying HARD not to worry about the money...though how can you not in this economy??