NYMC Accelerated Master's - Need help deciding

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bevo20

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Recently got accepted into NYMC's Accelerated Master's Program (aka AMP). Big pros of this program (in my eyes) are small class size (~15 students, & up to 25 students maximum) and guaranteed interview invite to NYMC MD program if you have greater than or equal to 506 MCAT + 3.4 GPA during MS program.

Honestly, it seems like there is not much about the program on SDN or on the internet in general.

Any previous student of the AMP program able to speak about their experiences and what they found were pros/cons of the program? If you're more comfortable DM-ing me, that would obviously be fine & equally appreciated.

I also have an acceptance for 1 year program at EVMS, so if y'all want to provide any input as to where you all would choose (EVMS 1 year vs. NYMC 1 year AMP), feel free to and I will happily be all ears.

Thanks.
-Bevo

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Please look at this. Excellent write-up. IF you have decent STATS (GPA/MCAT) and other stuff (Research/clinical) then it's NOT worth it. You would spend $50-$70K for attending the program and if you are borrowing for this program you would be in greater debt. It is entirely possible for you to get an II without attending this program. Since this is going to be the actual medical school class GPA has to be earned and getting over 3.5 would require a lot of work and effort.

An average medical students review, on why some of the current Post-Bacc/SMPs maybe a 35-75K mistake.

Hi all,

Recently got accepted into NYMC's Accelerated Master's Program (aka AMP). Big pros of this program (in my eyes) are small class size (~15 students, & up to 25 students maximum) and guaranteed interview invite to NYMC MD program if you have greater than or equal to 506 MCAT + 3.4 GPA during MS program.

Honestly, it seems like there is not much about the program on SDN or on the internet in general.

Any previous student of the AMP program able to speak about their experiences and what they found were pros/cons of the program? If you're more comfortable DM-ing me, that would obviously be fine & equally appreciated.

I also have an acceptance for 1 year program at EVMS, so if y'all want to provide any input as to where you all would choose (EVMS 1 year vs. NYMC 1 year AMP), feel free to and I will happily be all ears.

Thanks.
-Bevo

I got accepted to the 2 year program at NYMC and am having a hard time deciding between that and another program I got into it.
The campus seems really nice, lots of amazing opportunities, and the conditional interview. But hard to find actual student expereinces.

All I could find online are 2 really old posts on NYMC from quite a while ago, (one from 2013 and one from 2008). Not really relevant for the program(s) as it stands today.

Please look at this. Excellent write-up. IF you have decent STATS (GPA/MCAT) and other stuff (Research/clinical) then it's NOT worth it. You would spend $50-$70K for attending the program and if you are borrowing for this program you would be in greater debt. It is entirely possible for you to get an II without attending this program. Since this is going to be the actual medical school class GPA has to be earned and getting over 3.5 would require a lot of work and effort.

An average medical students review, on why some of the current Post-Bacc/SMPs maybe a 35-75K mistake.

I feel like most people that go into SMPs already have low stats, but some think its necessary when they have average stats. That being said, I personally went for an undergrad postbacc first (lots of biochem), so I know I can actually succeed in an SMP. OP may be a bit different than me, as I wasn't even competitive enough for the AMP program though. The 2 year is nice that although it's not med school courses, its taught primarily by the faculty of the SOM though.

Members don't see this ad :)
I pulled this from an earlier cycle forum (2019):

The program is tough, as expected. Students take some of the classes that medical students take therefore it has a right to be. It's not tough because of the concepts, but tough because of the amount of material given during a short period of time.

The first block is supposed to be the easiest as they let us acclimate to the curriculum. The second block is the hardest in my opinion as you're taking both of the courses the medical students take: Biochemistry and Physiology. The last block is also hard as you'll most likely be burnt out from the year and Neuroscience is difficult as the course will build off the basics of anatomy that's taught to medical students in first block but not to us (since AMP students don't take anatomy).

I would imagine the difficulty is on par with other SMPs across the nation such as Georgetown's SMP. Another important note to keep in mind is that this program is a one year accelerated program. That should speak for itself on the difficulty as well.

I will say advising is as advertised on the program's website. The faculty will give what is needed, but they are not going to hold your hand throughout the process. You have to put in the work in as well.

Although you may not like all the lecturers, the courses are taught well in my opinion. You are receiving the same education as the medical students and they provide that standard.

If you do well in the AMP, lets say a GPA of 3.5 or above, it will open many doors for you in terms of MD schools
I take this example from my classmates in the AMP with roughly those stats who were able to land 5+ interviews. But again, I also believe this isn't selective of the NYMC AMP, but also applies to any established post-bacc program such as Georgetown, Bryn Mawr, Columbia, etc...

The percentage of students that matriculate into medical school that is advertised on the program website is 85%. I can't fully confirm this from my own class because I wasn't personally close with everyone like that to know all those details. However, I can say that the people I am close with have all been accepted into medical school including myself.

Were you able to find any info on the 2 year program that is more recent?
I can't seem to find any student experiences.

My question is I will be submitting my med school application before I even start the program (August). So, What would I gain by attending this program for the upcoming med school cycle? IF interviews start popping up in Aug/Sep/October from other schools I could potentially see an impact on your preparation for this program. This program requires a 3.5 or better GPA to punch a ticket for an interview (Not even admission). I have decent STATS and don't plan on retaking MCAT (514) so any help for MCAT preparation would be worthless. Similarly, If I were to wait till August/September to prepare the application for the upcoming med cycle( to take advantage of the guidance from NYMC ) wouldn't I be late to the party? Wish this program started in June and not in August. I have already been late to the party once and cannot repeat it again.

My question is I will be submitting my med school application before I even start the program (August). So, What would I gain by attending this program for the upcoming med school cycle? IF interviews start popping up in Aug/Sep/October from other schools I could potentially see an impact on your preparation for this program. This program requires a 3.5 or better GPA to punch a ticket for an interview (Not even admission). I have decent STATS and don't plan on retaking MCAT (514) so any help for MCAT preparation would be worthless. Similarly, If I were to wait till August/September to prepare the application for the upcoming med cycle( to take advantage of the guidance from NYMC ) wouldn't I be late to the party? Wish this program started in June and not in August. I have already been late to the party once and cannot repeat it again.

The purpose of an SMP is for record enhancement/reinvention from poor stats in the past, so how will schools know your performance if you apply before starting? It is best to just wait and apply after you complete the program, allowing you to also apply much earlier. Also the conditional interview is for once you complete the entire program, they won't offer it after only one semester.

This is just my opinion, but it is better to wait and apply later with a better application rather than to rush and apply earlier (with the potential to reapply).
By waiting, you will also be able to take advantage of the guidance from the faculty and possible LORs, not only SMP grades.

Record enhancement could be a paradox for NYMC. You are basically doing med school
Classes and work very hard to earn your GPA. If someone struggled in undergrad what are the chances of them pulling off a high GPA in an intense program like MYMC AMP or the 2 year program. I don’t think NYMC programs do not fit the criteria of “record”(GPA) enhancement. On the contrary this could potentially backfire fo those looking for GPA enhancement . I am sure they provide enhancements in terms of guidance, clinical/research experience.

I had attended the information session that they held a couple of weeks back and NYMC said they received about 150 applications last year (for 2021 cycle) and around 25 students matriculated. Although the number of applications is small they are picky about who they admit though (MCAT/GPA). I am sure if they offered guaranteed admission to M.D with GPA/MCAT threshold they would have 10 times more applications than what they receive just for AMP. If you really want to leverage their help with guidance etc 2-year program would be better. But that would mean 6 years of tuition /living expenses. If I go with the AMP and get "A"s from other med schools in October( that I would seriously consider) there may not be a motivation to continue with AMP. If I withdraw from AMP would it have any adverse impact on "A"s that I already received from other schools? The more I think it is looking a little tricky.

Record enhancement could be a paradox for NYMC. You are basically doing med school
Classes and work very hard to earn your GPA. If someone struggled in undergrad what are the chances of them pulling off a high GPA in an intense program like MYMC AMP or the 2 year program. I don’t think NYMC programs do not fit the criteria of “record”(GPA) enhancement. On the contrary this could potentially backfire fo those looking for GPA enhancement . I am sure they provide enhancements in terms of guidance, clinical/research experience.

People who first did a postbacc and Aced it prior to a program like this (like me - my postbacc was very heavy in biochem and biomedical sciences). Regardless if it's just master's courses or medical school courses, it serves the same purpose. To PROVE to medical school admission committee members that you can handle the curriculum in medical school. In other words it SHOWS medical schools that you can excel in higher level courses, so in a sense any SMP including NYMC is for record enhancement and acts like a "tryout" for medical school. Otherwise, you wouldn't need it.

So there is really no point to apply before the start of the program. You are just prepping for a reapplication when you get rejected. If you can get in on your own merits (applying before the start of the program), this program is unnecessary for you.
Either do the program and apply when you finish, or don't do the program at all. Just my opinion.

I ultimately decided to go with a different, cheaper SMP that is only 1 year long, with still a great linkage, in which I'll be applying to medical school after I complete the program.
Good luck on your decision.

Last edited:
Thanks. My application got completed late (November 21) which greatly impacted my chances. The feedback I got was that they received it too late. I got this feedback from ADCOM members who were evaluating me for the M.D Bio med programs. Applying early would likely get me the IIs that I missed in this cycle. In the PostBaac interviews ( I have had so far) the common question was "Why I didn't apply for this med school cycle"? I always responded with my situation (LOR delays due to recommender in hospital with a medical condition). One of them even told me that MCAT prep class was mandatory and they themselves said that they have to discuss to see what can be done for my case when MCAT PREP was meaningless and instead could be spent on something else worthwhile.

May I ask which SMP program you are in?

Thanks. My application got completed late (November 21) which greatly impacted my chances. The feedback I got was that they received it too late. I got this feedback from ADCOM members who were evaluating me for the M.D Bio med programs. Applying early would likely get me the IIs that I missed in this cycle. In the PostBaac interviews ( I have had so far) the common question was "Why I didn't apply for this med school cycle"? I always responded with my situation (LOR delays due to recommender in hospital with a medical condition). One of them even told me that MCAT prep class was mandatory and they themselves said that they have to discuss to see what can be done for my case when MCAT PREP was meaningless and instead could be spent on something else worthwhile.

May I ask which SMP program you are in?

Yea, since you already applied once I would especially hold off until after the program. But whether you do the program or not, you ideally want to apply as early as possible, so right when apps open up in late may or sometime in June if that's possible. I'm surprised you even applied in November, that is extremely late. Like I said before, it shows a lot better judgement to simply wait and apply with the best app you can have. So in your case that would be after a full year of SMP/med school grades to show, where you could also add a few more LORs. If you don't mind telling me, what is your GPA / GPA trend? I suspect it is good enough that a SMP may not even be necessary.

I personally have not applied to medical school yet, because I knew I would get rejected without a good postbacc and SMP combo. So I am waiting until after I finish my SMP.

I ended up going with Rutgers MBS program (Medical Scholars track) in Newark. It's nice because there's still a conditional interview, cheaper cost of living/tuition, and option for a few medical school courses at NJMS. But I'm still waiting on 2 other programs I'd take over Rutgers. I just feel its quite unlikely I'll get into either of those two programs, so there's a very high chance I'll be going to Rutgers this fall.

Last edited:
My GPa is 3.7, science GPA 3.8
Good research and clinical experience

I am also considering a one year MS program with research opportunity under a MD admissions committee member. She even shared stats of students who moved to MD program after working with her

My GPa is 3.7, science GPA 3.8
Good research and clinical experience

I have no idea why you are even considering an SMP. Huuuuuuuge mistake with those stats.
It just acts as a nice $40-50k donation and a waste of a year, when you have already proved academically you can handle medical school.
You do not need any kind of MS program.

Your ECs and both your MCAT and GPA are very competitive.
Just get all your essays in order and apply early this May/June and you will gain multiple acceptance I have no doubt.
Just make sure you have a good school list.

I don't think anyone with above a 3.2 GPA should consider an SMP.
A SMP should act as a last resort to help get into medical school - they are all high risk, high reward programs.
So just avoid the risk, and go straight to medical school and just do something else during your app year.

And trust me, I've done a ton of research on the subject to understand this.
Many Adcoms have told me the same thing I said above.

Thanks. I am likely to stay away from any program that doesn't guarantee MD admission. Probably going to volunteer and wait for the interviews. I am already doing a part-time teaching gig and would probably continue to do it. You are a wonderful person and all the best for you in the upcoming cycle.

I got accepted to the 2 year program at NYMC and am having a hard time deciding between that and another program I got into it.
The campus seems really nice, lots of amazing opportunities, and the conditional interview. But hard to find actual student expereinces.

All I could find online are 2 really old posts on NYMC from quite a while ago, (one from 2013 and one from 2008). Not really relevant for the program(s) as it stands today.

I feel like most people that go into SMPs already have low stats, but some think its necessary when they have average stats. That being said, I personally went for an undergrad postbacc first (lots of biochem), so I know I can actually succeed in an SMP. OP may be a bit different than me, as I wasn't even competitive enough for the AMP program though. The 2 year is nice that although it's not med school courses, its taught primarily by the faculty of the SOM though.

Hi @MedicallyEnthused! I also just got acdcepted into the 2 year program. I'm still deciding as well as I was accepted into a post-bac program. However, what I like about the NYMC program is that you get a masters degree but it'll take 2 years.

Does anyone know if there is a group chat or facebook group or something for just accepted or currently NYMC BMS students?

could anyone comment of the conditional acceptance in their medschool? It reads more like a guaranteed interview, because it relies on the interview process and not just performance in the AMP.