Getting observation hours in home health

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

astarblaze

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone have any recommendations for finding home health organizations that allow observation hours? Or know of any national chains that allow this? I haven't had any luck finding home health organizations in my area that allow pre-pt observation, but I know they should be out there....
 
More rare as the clinician must have patient approval to have an observer beforehand or you'd be sitting outside. Many home health companies also see it as increased liability as you are entering a private home under their umbrella. Will their insurance cover you? Probably not. Your best bet is to contact your local hospitals and ask which HH providers they use and go from there.
 
I haven't had any luck 🙁 The conversation would go like this:

- I'm interested in observing bla bla bla.
- Oh we don't have any PTs on staff, we hire as needed from outside, I'll forward your inquiry to the company we use.

The end.
 
Bummer. I've definitely seen people on here with home health observation hours- I wonder how they go about it...