Getting on the Right Path to Matching in Anesthesia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmDwithAdream

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be finishing up my first year of an international medical school in a few weeks. I am starting to think about what specialty I want to pursue, and anesthesiology is currently on the top of my list.

As an IMG, how can I set myself up for success in matching into anesthesia? Are there any physicians that had gone to medical school overseas and succeeded in matching into anesthesia? Any words of advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Other than the obvious, the number 1 thing you need to do is make contacts somehow. I've learnt that almost everyone who matches into a reasonably competitive or super competitive specialty from overseas has some family tie or contact. This is the sad reality regardless of what anyone says.

Having an American Anesthetist go into bat for you is probably worth more than a 260. (even though it's gonna be p/f for you but you get the point)

Reactions: 1 users
Step scores (more difficult if taking Step 1 post P/F changes), USCE, and US LORs preferably from well respected anesthesiologists. Gas is one of the more competitive matches for IMGs and if your goal is to just practice in the states I'd recommend thinking about dual applying for a backup speciality such as FM/IM if gas doesn't work out. If you are a typical visa requiring IMG without anything in your application to help you stick out; the odds are pretty stacked against you for gas.

Members don't see this ad :)
Step scores (more difficult if taking Step 1 post P/F changes), USCE, and US LORs preferably from well respected anesthesiologists. Gas is one of the more competitive matches for IMGs and if your goal is to just practice in the states I'd recommend thinking about dual applying for a backup speciality such as FM/IM if gas doesn't work out. If you are a typical visa requiring IMG without anything in your application to help you stick out; the odds are pretty stacked against you for gas.
So if I apply for FM/IM as a back-up and match in those specialties, I can use the first year of either those residencies as a transitional/preliminary year and then apply for anesthesia?

If I heard correctly, there is the route of going straight into a 4 year anesthesia program or doing a transitional year and then doing a 3 year anesthesia program? So then I would be best trying at least 4 different routes for going into anesthesia (direct route, transitional year, IM, FM, etc.)?

So if I apply for FM/IM as a back-up and match in those specialties, I can use the first year of either those residencies as a transitional/preliminary year and then apply for anesthesia?

If I heard correctly, there is the route of going straight into a 4 year anesthesia program or doing a transitional year and then doing a 3 year anesthesia program? So then I would be best trying at least 4 different routes for going into anesthesia (direct route, transitional year, IM, FM, etc.)?
You can apply for an advanced PGY-2 position but you'll be potentially burning a lot of bridges with people that need to OK the transfer if you go into FM/IM just thinking of it as a transitional year. If you 100% will reapply for gas if you don't match into it than you could always apply for preliminary spots in IM/surgery to use to match into an advanced spot. Also, the chances are if you didn't match the first time, it's not like the second time would increase you chances.