• Scariest Story Contest

Now that it's getting close to Halloween, we're running a contest to hear your scariest stories! These can be scary stories that you've experienced or stories that you've heard and the story with the most reactions will win!

JOIN CONTEST

Getting published

porokeratosis

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 5, 2005
USA - West Coast
  1. Attending Physician
    seewell said:
    It is so hard to get published.
    I found a pretty good place to do so, but they don't have a very active journal. I'm not sure if it is worth my time... on the other hand, it can't hurt - right?

Has anyone heard of this?
    Dermatology Review Journal??
    http://www.dermatologyreview.org/journal.htm

I think publishing in the DermatologyReview.com Journal is very respectable.

DermatologyReview.com Journal just started this year (2005). It's a respectable Derm journal because it's articles are peer-reviewed and its affiliated with SUNY Downstate Derm Dept (Brooklyn, NY). Since it is new, there are better opportunities to get published faster. So I say go for it! :thumbup: Good Luck :luck:

PathOne

Derminatrix
    10+ Year Member
    5+ Year Member
    May 10, 2004
    Skin City
    1. Attending Physician
      goodies said:
      How do you publish for that? Are you talking about doing research and then submitting your paper to that??
      That's generally how you publish ;-)
      Deciding where to publish is an artform in itself. A pretty good rule of thumb is obviously, that the higher the ISI Impact Factor (avg. # of citations per paper), the harder, and more prestigious it is to get a paper published. So if you manage to publish in, say Nature, Nature Medicine or the New England Journal of Medicine, you're golden.

However, the subject matter must also be taken into consideration. If the research is very specific, a more specialized journal would probably be more appropriate. Sometimes, you can also get more space in a more specialized journal.

Overall, however, ANY publication, even in a journal with a low impact factor (as long as it's peer-reviewed and Medline-indexed), is better than getting constant rejections from the more competitive journals. I would STRONGLY advice you to seek help in selecting a journal from an experienced researcher with ample publishing experience.

About the Ads
      This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
      2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
      5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
      6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      7. This thread is locked.