Getting published

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

seewell

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
It is so hard to get published.
I found a pretty good place to do so, but they don't have a very active journal. I'm not sure if it is worth my time... on the other hand, it can't hurt - right?

Has anyone heard of this?
Dermatology Review Journal??
http://www.dermatologyreview.org/journal.htm

Members don't see this ad.

seewell said:
It is so hard to get published.
I found a pretty good place to do so, but they don't have a very active journal. I'm not sure if it is worth my time... on the other hand, it can't hurt - right?

Has anyone heard of this?
Dermatology Review Journal??
http://www.dermatologyreview.org/journal.htm

I think publishing in the DermatologyReview.com Journal is very respectable.

DermatologyReview.com Journal just started this year (2005). It's a respectable Derm journal because it's articles are peer-reviewed and its affiliated with SUNY Downstate Derm Dept (Brooklyn, NY). Since it is new, there are better opportunities to get published faster. So I say go for it! :thumbup: Good Luck :luck:

How do you publish for that? Are you talking about doing research and then submitting your paper to that??

goodies said:
How do you publish for that? Are you talking about doing research and then submitting your paper to that??
That's generally how you publish ;-)
Deciding where to publish is an artform in itself. A pretty good rule of thumb is obviously, that the higher the ISI Impact Factor (avg. # of citations per paper), the harder, and more prestigious it is to get a paper published. So if you manage to publish in, say Nature, Nature Medicine or the New England Journal of Medicine, you're golden.

However, the subject matter must also be taken into consideration. If the research is very specific, a more specialized journal would probably be more appropriate. Sometimes, you can also get more space in a more specialized journal.

Overall, however, ANY publication, even in a journal with a low impact factor (as long as it's peer-reviewed and Medline-indexed), is better than getting constant rejections from the more competitive journals. I would STRONGLY advice you to seek help in selecting a journal from an experienced researcher with ample publishing experience.