Getting published

Discussion in 'Dermatology' started by seewell, Nov 12, 2005.

1. seewell

seewell Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

It is so hard to get published.
    I found a pretty good place to do so, but they don't have a very active journal. I'm not sure if it is worth my time... on the other hand, it can't hurt - right?

Has anyone heard of this?
    Dermatology Review Journal??
    http://www.dermatologyreview.org/journal.htm

2. porokeratosis

porokeratosis Member
    7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I think publishing in the DermatologyReview.com Journal is very respectable.

DermatologyReview.com Journal just started this year (2005). It's a respectable Derm journal because it's articles are peer-reviewed and its affiliated with SUNY Downstate Derm Dept (Brooklyn, NY). Since it is new, there are better opportunities to get published faster. So I say go for it! :thumbup: Good Luck :luck:

3. goodies

goodies Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    How do you publish for that? Are you talking about doing research and then submitting your paper to that??

4. PathOne

PathOne Derminatrix
    5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    That's generally how you publish ;-)
    Deciding where to publish is an artform in itself. A pretty good rule of thumb is obviously, that the higher the ISI Impact Factor (avg. # of citations per paper), the harder, and more prestigious it is to get a paper published. So if you manage to publish in, say Nature, Nature Medicine or the New England Journal of Medicine, you're golden.

However, the subject matter must also be taken into consideration. If the research is very specific, a more specialized journal would probably be more appropriate. Sometimes, you can also get more space in a more specialized journal.

Overall, however, ANY publication, even in a journal with a low impact factor (as long as it's peer-reviewed and Medline-indexed), is better than getting constant rejections from the more competitive journals. I would STRONGLY advice you to seek help in selecting a journal from an experienced researcher with ample publishing experience.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...