Getting Ready For PT School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BRoeder

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently about to start my junior year of college. I plan in recieving my BS in Biomolecular Science after my senior year. I am looking to apply to PT school around that time. I have a relativly good grade in my BMS classes 3.7 but when it comes to general requirements, my cumulative is in the 3.1 range. Therefore because PT school is so competitive to get into I am trying to build outside things to make my resume better to make up for my average grades. I have already accumulated around 200 hours of shadow time at a PT clinic during the last couple summers and am going to shadow at a hospital in town next summer. How many hours should I be getting before I apply to PT school, and what are some other things I can do to build my resume.

Members don't see this ad.

Actually sounds like you're not doing too bad. Just make sure you do well enough on the GREs. Also, if there's anything you do that's unique may help you stand out vs applicants with similar stats than you. Continue to volunteer and get to know the PTs as one may be writing your recommendation. Maybe try and see if any of your upper level biomolec classes can replace the grades of some of the lower gen science prereq classes to raise the 3.1. Good luck.

I have done things in BMS that are extra curricular like independent research with RNA, and assisting middle school kids in science projects on weekends during the semester. But nothing necessarily relating to PT other than shadowing. Should I continue to do things like this or do only PT things help?

Last edited: