Getting rejected from med school twice is hard.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
t time I got baited by this troll. I'll just leave this here.

why do you keep posting this. Do you like it that much? Its disgusting and disturbing.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
You are saying that no Medical school admission is not 100% random, and there are other factors outside of applying that effect chances of admission.

Thats the statement I am saying in order to convince the guy that application can be improve upon. You basically just agreed with my defense and than said my original statement was wrong.

You said that calling your post erroneous was the same as saying that medical school admissions is 100% random. I said that your statement was not correct, meaning that disagreeing with you does not have the meaning that you have assigned to it. Moreover, I have no problem admitting that medical school admissions decisions are not completely random. The problem is that this alone doesn't support your initial conclusion. Extremely poor grades even after post bacc/ SMP, multiple bad MCATs, disciplinary actions, criminal charges, etc. are not random factors, but yet these cannot always be improved upon. And assuming arguendo that those factors could be improved upon, it does NOT support your hypothesis that the probability of being rejected twice is less than that of an acceptance on the first try. In fact, there have been a number of examples that have refuted your hypothesis in this thread. Moreover, I am not sure who that "guy" you are trying to convince is, but you are doing a poor job at it. Don't give people false hope; sometimes there is no happy ending. That's life. There are some people, no matter how hard working and sincere the person may be, who will never be admitted to medical school. Not everyone is equipped with the cognitive faculties to be a physician.

Also, since you have been so fond of logic and straw man arguments, I thought I would take the time to point out the straw man argument in your post. The post below is a textbook example. A straw man argument is a logical fallacy in which the proponent misrepresents the original argument, constructing a similar but different argument/position and then claiming to refute or defeat the new position instead of the original proposition. That's exactly what you are doing. Disagreeing with you is not the same thing as saying that medical school admissions are completely random; and agreeing that medical schools admissions decisions are not completely does not support your hypothesis.

Although med-school admission does have a degree of Arbitrariness. Calling the entire post an error is basically stating "Medical school admission is 100% random, no other factors outside of applying effect chances of admission"

why do you keep posting this. Do you like it that much? Its disgusting and disturbing.

Don't be so sensitive; I guess I shouldn't surprised because you are LBJ fan. Anyways, if you are disturbed or disgusted then maybe a career in the health care industry isn't for you because you will see a lot more than what I posted.

Members don't see this ad :)
SO basically, if someone has an IA for academic dishonesty, regardless if it was 4 years ago and they can show growth, they have no chance?

Given the fact that medical schools can easily fill their classes with students who have never experienced such a blemish, taking on someone who has had an IA for academic dishonesty is a tremendous risk. I imagine that if an applicant is in the top 10% in every other area, it might, I repeat, might be overlooked, but even then, it's a gamble. One that might pay off, certainly, but again, given the stiff competition, isn't one that most schools won't want to take.

SO basically, if someone has an IA for academic dishonesty, regardless if it was 4 years ago and they can show growth, they have no chance?

It depends .... some adcoms may believe that no one who has been found guilty of academic dishonest is someone we want to add to our academic community. If they cheat after being admitted to our school can we say we are surprised??? With far more applicants than seats, it is hard to rise to the top 43% with a IA for academic dishonesty even with "growth".

What is with all the necrobumping today?

Someone used the search function for a serious problem and after 10 years and > 1 million messages there is sure to be an old thread that is relevant.