Getting residency interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chuelas1

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does any1 know if having a research position at UM ( aka university of miami) or within the Jackson health system will guarantee a residency interview in the particular field you are doing research in?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Although I can't be certain, I think the answer is no. Residency programs have standards regarding medical school attended (USMD vs DO vs IMG), USMLE performance, medical school performance, US experience, etc. If you don't meet those minimum standards, then it's unlikely they will interview you. If you do, then being there, having experience there, and a letter from someone there would definitely help you get picked for an interview.

Look at it this way: I run a residency program. If some random faculty member in my institution decides to hire someone in a research lab, that doesn't force me to interview them. I would look carefully at their application, even if they failed my initial screens, as a courtesy to my colleague.

Reactions: 1 user