Getting sick of waiting

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VP_Pharm2004

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied to two pharmacy schools, interviewed at one, and I haven't heard a thing from the other. I still don't know what I'll be doing during this fall and I'm getting highly discouraged. How long does it take them? Just tell me if I'm in or if I'm not good enough for that college/school of pharmacy.

Anyone else feel the same way I do? (Seems like everyone's getting accepted but me :()

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, I feel the same way! Seems like everyone on this board is getting accepted to most schools they applied to. I applied to 3 and got rejections from two (1 with interview and 1 without). So, still waiting to hear from one more. In the meantime however, I am researching on more schools that I can apply to if I don't get in this year. Don't worry, you are not alone!

Thanks Shal. I don't know how I'd deal with rejection, if I do get rejected. I've never been rejected for anything.

Good luck on that school you have left!

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, I hope you hear good news from the school you interviewed with. Its hard to deal with rejections in general, but I guess you have to look at the positive side of things. I can take this as an opportunity to improve myself. What schools did you apply to?

Well, I applied to Oregon State and Virginia Commonwealth University. I intereviewed at OSU under 2 months ago, and still no news. I have a friend who interviewed on the same day as me, and she hasn't heard anything either. So, I guess they want to interview everyone before final decisions are made? I even challenged myself to take the PCAT for VCU, even though OSU doesn't require it. I have family in Virginia, so that's why I picked VCU as another choice.

What schools did you apply to Shal?

I applied UCSF, UOP, and Purdue. I am still waiting to hear from UCSF. I had an interview with them late Jan and will probably know by April what my status is. How did you feel your interview went with OSU? With UOP, my interviewers said that I did well and still I didn't get admission. I thought I did well on the writing portion also. Who knows what they want! I'll call them up and see if someone can review my file.

I think the interview went okay. I was nervous, felt uncomfortable at moments, and lost my train of thought. It actually felt like I was interviewing the interviewer, because I had many questions to ask him about OSU. Plus, I don't think I elaborated my answers well, and I'm beating myself over it. The essay was interesting, and the question asked wasn't what I had expected.

I am in the same shoes, actually. The school that i wanna go to is NVCP and I have heard nothing from them. My interview was way back in Jan. Just 3 days ago, I had to fly all over to Alabama for another interview (after 2nd time delay just to wait for NVCP result). The Samford school is actually very impressive...I love it too.

Well, I hope all of us hear good news!
VP_Pharm2004 - I know what you mean about interviewing the interviewers. At UOP, I interviewed with 2 students. The first one seemed bored out of his mind and I don't feel it was because of my answers. I was trying to ask him questions, get him to open up more. The other one wasn't too bad, I actually liked her. But she didn't have much to ask me either. After the first question, she said she didn't know what else to ask me since I answered it so well. With the professor, he was too fast on asking questions. He would ask me one before I finished my answer. :)
rxforlife2004 - Did you apply to UOP also? I thought I read that in one of the posts. Will you go to Hawaii if you don't get into other schools? I wish I could have applied to Hawaii but its hard to move with a family!

Shal, I think it's great that you're still being considered by UCSF!! I think it's the best school, out of the 3 you applied to. It's strange that you got rejected from UOP after a somewhat pleasant interview experience. Who knows what they want. I hope you and I both hear something soon from our schools!!

I know a person who got accepted a few days just before school started. There are always last minute people who cancel so never give up hope even if u are asked to be waitlisted, then say yes because u will never know what will happen. However it is still early. I didn't get my acceptance until the beginning of summer. Some as late as the end of summer and beginning of school year. Good luck

Originally posted by VP_Pharm2004
Shal, I think it's great that you're still being considered by UCSF!! I think it's the best school, out of the 3 you applied to. It's strange that you got rejected from UOP after a somewhat pleasant interview experience. Who knows what they want. I hope you and I both hear something soon from our schools!!

As much as I want to see that UCSF letter in my mailbox, I am afraid to. :laugh: I hope it brings good news.. otherwise it will be back to the drawing board. I think I need to call up UOP soon to find out what my application was lacking. Maybe I don't have enough pharmacy experience since they are really big on that. Let me know how it goes with you.

Don't worry SHAL, Purdue favors Indiana students. Even though I am accepted to Hawaii, I am waiting patiently from Loma Linda University. I hope I get an interview, if not I am packing my bags and shipping my car to Hawaii. I hope everyone on this forum gets accepted to one school this year. I wish the best of luck for those reapplying.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by michelleca4
Don't worry SHAL, Purdue favors Indiana students. Even though I am accepted to Hawaii, I am waiting patiently from Loma Linda University. I hope I get an interview, if not I am packing my bags and shipping my car to Hawaii. I hope everyone on this forum gets accepted to one school this year. I wish the best of luck for those reapplying.

Michelle - Did you hear back from USC and UOP? I thought you applied there also.

As of March 12, 2004, there were ONLY 15 seats available for the Class of 2007. UOP just had another interview session last Friday. They are scheduled to do one more later this month. They also said that they might have another interview session in April, however, this is a BIG if!!!!

How many people got accepted to UCSF? Is UCSF sending replies based on when candidates interviewed, or is it completely random. If someone interviewed in 2/13 got acepted I should have gotten response from UCSF like two weeks ago. sorry if I sound jitterly, this waiting has driven me nuts:(

Originally posted by spoons
How many people got accepted to UCSF? Is UCSF sending replies based on when candidates interviewed, or is it completely random. If someone interviewed in 2/13 got acepted I should have gotten response from UCSF like two weeks ago. sorry if I sound jitterly, this waiting has driven me nuts:(

I think its random. I interviewed on Jan 30th and still waiting to hear back from them.

Originally posted by shal
rxforlife2004 - Did you apply to UOP also? I thought I read that in one of the posts. Will you go to Hawaii if you don't get into other schools? I wish I could have applied to Hawaii but its hard to move with a family!

Yes. shal. I had an interview at UOP back in early Jan. As of Hawaii, I decided i won't go there. It's just too much of cost for me. Thus, I am waiting for the results from NVCP, UOP, and Samford (which i had an interview 3 days ago).

I also applied to New Mexico and they told me to wait until April...they will to offer interview spots for non-residents. This year UNM only offers 6-8 students from outstates!

Originally posted by rxforlife2004
Yes. shal. I had an interview at UOP back in early Jan. As of Hawaii, I decided i won't go there. It's just too much of cost for me. Thus, I am waiting for the results from NVCP, UOP, and Samford (which i had an interview 3 days ago).

It doesn't seem like the cost is very different from UOP. Hawaii is something like 28,000 x 3 = 84,000. UOP is 37,000 x 2 + 23,500 = 97,500. So hawaii is 84 grand, and UOP is 97 grand. So Hawaii is actually cheaper? (except maybe the cost of living)

the problem is the loan. Since HICP is not fully accredited, the loan interest will be pretty high. Also, attending HICP means that i will not get any federal loan or grants whatsoever.

Hey guys I am pretty much in the same boat as u guys.

I applied to four schools but got rejected from two of them, interviewed at one and am still waiting to hear from another.

The waiting is just killing me! I feel like everyone knows what school they are going to and can plan accordingly and then there is me. Dont even know whether I am even getting in this year or not!

Definetly helps to know that I am not alone!

Thanks guys.

and lets keep hoping.....

I am also waiting to hear from northeastern and mcphs Boston. I have not heard from either of them, and I think I am going crazy! I am very anxious... it is hard not knowing what I will be doing next year.

For those who have not heard anything yet, what are your "back-up" plans if you are not accepted? I don't know if I will take classes, get a job, etc.

good luck to everybody!!!!

Originally posted by rxforlife2004
Yes. shal. I had an interview at UOP back in early Jan.

I interviewed with them on Feb 20 and heard back from them within 3 weeks. They told us that we would hear from them within this timeframe at the interview. They didn't tell you when you will find out? Oh well, no news is better than bad news. :)

ppl that were denied -can you share your stats along w/ the school that denied you?

Originally posted by Vannie4uBaby
Be happy... what ever happens, it happens for a reason...sometimes it could be a good or bad reasons right?! :laugh: :) :love:

I completely agree! :) Although, I have to say anytime I thought something bad had happened, it ended up leading to a good thing. Even if I don't get in this year, I'll be happy since I'll get to spend more time with my family.

Originally posted by EarlyEditionDude
As of March 12, 2004, there were ONLY 15 seats available for the Class of 2007. UOP just had another interview session last Friday. They are scheduled to do one more later this month. They also said that they might have another interview session in April, however, this is a BIG if!!!!

Where did you get this information? I had an interview with UOP last Friday and was told that not many people have been granted admission. Did they lie to make us feel better before the interview???? I am scared now :confused:

What bugs me the most about the possibility of being denied is that I know next year will be even more competitive than this year :(

Why do you think that next year will be even more competitive?

Originally posted by Shanana
Why do you think that next year will be even more competitive?

Each year has been more competitive than the last since about 1999. This year saw a *doubling* of applications. I would agree that it's only getting more competitive. I've heard talk of schools giving huge preference to BS degrees, with the possibility of eventually making it a required pre-req.

jdpharmd? no need to scare those of us who are aplying with a A.S degree . If I don't get in, it wasn't meant to be, I am not going to sweat and break my leg in the way. Not to mention that everything is competitive in America, not just pharmacy school application.

Originally posted by TCB
jdpharmd? no need to scare those of us who are aplying with a A.S degree . If I don't get in, it wasn't meant to be, I am not going to sweat and break my leg in the way. Not to mention that everything is competitive in America, not just pharmacy school application.

Hate to break it to you but YES i have been told that a BS could very soon be a requirement before pharmacy school.
I have also been told that if you have a degree then they will definitely prefer you over someone who doesn't and associates don't count. in fact it is pretty much funny when someone comes to school for the first time talking about their degree with others who have a bs in biochem or biology or something and come to find out they have an associates

Originally posted by TCB

TCB- don't let some of the comments on this board deter you in any way. You don't really know who is behind the screen name and their true background and experiences, etc...it's as if you're getting 30% of the story with a blindfold over your eyes. Get yourself prepared for pharm school the very best you can, don't lose sight of your goal, don't look left - don't look right- look straight ahead at the goal you want to attain and do it!
And it's not a backhanded comment towards anyone either- I respect everyone on this board and I feel I have gotten some great advice as well. I hear what you're saying TCB, I've heard from others that they sometimes need to take a break from SDN because at times all the conflicting opinions can cause stress. ;)

It's just the waiting period now...I guess we all should just wait and concentrate on finishing our classes. After all, we're brothers and sisters of this big SDN network family. I'll be very happy if all of us can get into pharmacy school this year. JDPharm? just wanna point out the trend of increasing in pharmacy school applications, and i don't think he wanna scare us. Take it in a good way that he wanna make us be aware of this to prepare better for pharmacy school.

Good luck, you guys!

Don't let anything ever stop you...all those statisitics test your resolve. As was said previously, keep your eyes on your goal, do not waver, and it will happen. It may take more than one shot, but it will. Work on you, bettering yourself through community service, pharmacy experience, and learning the sciences...truly put yourself in these areas and it can happen!

Believe me, I have been out of school since 2001, and during the period after school it was about soul searching, finding your career. Do not fret if you still have no clue on graduation day or whatever, bc if you work hard enough, you'll find your niche. I did all of these things, learned more about science, the industry, and people, in general. So if you are applying while you're in school, you're ahead of the game, so keep trying!

Don't give up, ever.

Originally posted by MALA
TCB- don't let some of the comments on this board deter you in any way. You don't really know who is behind the screen name and their true background and experiences, etc...it's as if you're getting 30% of the story with a blindfold over your eyes.

Well I can tell you that jdpharmd is IN pharmacy school, worked his butt off to get there by getting a good gpa/pcat score/lots of pharmacy experience/etc. He's an intern who knows enough to counsel a lot of his patients (and he's only in his first year of school). He gives good advice and knows what he's talking about. Us pharmacy students are here to help pre-pharms and give them advice that helped get us in and give advice that would have made it easier for us. It may not be what you want to hear, but that doesn't mean it's wrong or that you should ignore it. In fact, if the advice scares some of you, make that your oomph to try harder.
And by the way, before you say it, some things can't be "agreed to disagree".

If you look at all of jdpharmd?'s posts you will see that AmandaRxs is right. I'm glad he's here to answer questions!

Thanks guys (girls)! I just post on SDN to see what's going on and to help students make smarter choices. If someone asks if they should take a class, and I say "yes", then that's what I *really* think and probably have experience with. It's not that I want to make their lives difficult. I don't post to make it look impossible to get in, or to make it look like I'm the smartest person on earth. Half the time, I have questions for applicants or other students. Everyone is always welcome to PM me with questions. :thumbup:

By the way: LV does really well with questions! He puts WAY more effort into them than I do. I would listen to him too!

Thanks, jd, I appreciate your input. I didn't think your points were too harsh anyways. I think it's better for the schools and students that they finish a BS degree before making such a decision With all the changes in the profession it requries it.
Good luck to everyone! Don't let a BS be a deterrent anyways.

peace in the east!

Originally posted by AmandaRxs
Well I can tell you that jdpharmd is IN pharmacy school, worked his butt off to get there by getting a good gpa/pcat score/lots of pharmacy experience/etc. He's an intern who knows enough to counsel a lot of his patients (and he's only in his first year of school). He gives good advice and knows what he's talking about. Us pharmacy students are here to help pre-pharms and give them advice that helped get us in and give advice that would have made it easier for us. It may not be what you want to hear, but that doesn't mean it's wrong or that you should ignore it. In fact, if the advice scares some of you, make that your oomph to try harder.

:rolleyes: Oh my goodness- here we go again. I simply wanted to give the person encouragement because it's so easy to get discouraged with the opposing opinions on this board.
I'm really happy that you know JD personally and can attest to his character. However, we truly do not know all the people, their lives and circumstances that make them the person they are with the opinion they have behind a screen name on SDN. And here's some advice for you, not that you'll listen, but stop picking fights with people on this board.

Originally posted by AmandaRxs

That's not my quote, I think JD said that !! :laugh:

This is my quote: "We can agree to disagree..and peaceably too dammit" unless you're on the thread-then it all goes to hell, everybody's hootin' and hollerin' :laugh:

This is my quote: "We can agree to disagree..and peaceably too dammit" unless you're on the thread-then it all goes to hell, everybody's hootin' and hollerin' :laugh:

I never said it. I think she means that you always say "we can agree to disagree". Like here:

But we can agree to disagree, it's alright.

( http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=107507&perpage=20&pagenumber=2 )

I'm not starting personal attacks, but I didn't say it. I really don't think that anyone attacks other users in our forum. You (we) don't all have to agree. I've never seen a user "picking fights" here. Lets keep it that way. :thumbup:

Ok I'm not picking fights with anyone. I only wrote that because I've read another post of yours where you say, "Like I always say we can agree to disagree". And on this particular matter nothing was arguable.
It's frustrating to spend time trying to help people on this board and then be told you're wrong about the advice you give by students not even in pharmacy school. Hmm...that may come across as "snooty", but I don't know how else to phrase it.
I don't intend to seem confrontational, and it's very easy to misinterpret written word depending on how one reads it.