1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Getting Started

Discussion in 'Pre-Veterinary' started by VeterinaryLover, May 14, 2008.

1. VeterinaryLover

7+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    What is a good number of schools to apply to?
    When should you fill out the applications and send them off?
    When should you take the GRE? If the score isn't high enough should I take it again?
    For the Experience, can I Volunteer at a shelter of something? What other things can be done for the experience?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. VAgirl

VAgirl UC Davis SVM c/o 2012
    2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    My # 1 suggestion to you is to locate the search function on this forum (hint, it's near the upper right corner of this page) and start searching for the answers to these questions. I promise you people have asked them here before, so you will find loads of answers that way.

4. david594

david594 The-OSU CVM c/o 2013
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    This varies for every individual and is based primarly on their ability to afford out of state schools, their willingness to take on the associated debt, and their family commitments.

VMCAS applications become available beginning of summer the year before you plan to matriculate for US schools. So about a month from now for those of us applying to matriculate in Fall 09.

Whenever you feel you are prepared. If your score isn't competitive, then retaking is definitely a good idea if you feel you can improve your score.

You can volunteer at a shelter. But if the shelter doesn't have its own vet that you would be working for, it would only be considered "animal experience" as opposed to the "veterinary experience" required by veterinary schools.

5. VeterinaryLover

7+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
  6. twelvetigers

twelvetigers no wake up time. sleepy time.
    Veterinarian 10+ Year Member

Veterinarian
    I would definitely recommend getting some experience at a vet clinic if at all possible. However, shelter and zoo work are also good, as well as research, especially if it's related to the field and is perhaps done under the supervision of a DVM. Get started quickly - you'll want to have a good amount of hours before applying, especially if you don't have a perfect GPA or can't manage brilliant GRE scores. There's no "secret formula" for getting in, but doing as much as you can to help yourself is always a good idea.

Like VAGirl said, you should browse th older threads. LOTS of great info in there! The old threads can answer questions you aren't even asking yet. :)

7. VAgirl

VAgirl UC Davis SVM c/o 2012
    2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    Oh, and in terms of getting ideas for interesting vet experiences, check out the successful applicants thread. There are some folks who've done some really cool stuff that I never even would have thought of doing.

8. VeterinaryLover

7+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    Where can I find that at....I had looked but I did't see it...

9. TCVM808

TCVM808 CSU PVM C/O 2012
    2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student