Getting Substantial Clinical Experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Psyched*Out

Reaction score
How does one go about getting non-volunteer clinical experience as an undergrad without taking a gap year? I can definitely rack up 1000+ hours just doing volunteer work at a hospital, but I see many people working as CNAs, EMTs, and MAs on this forum, and I don't understand how you can find the time to do jobs like those when they are generally full time careers? Perhaps its just the area I'm located, but I've been looking for MA jobs in my area and they are all full time which doesn't seem friendly for a undergrad student, so what alternatives are there, and can I still get use out of my MA certification?

Members don't see this ad.

Taking a Gap Year is more the norm than the exception. We like people who do community service who don't have to do it as part of a campus experience like a Day of Service, but that experience inspired them to really be interested in serving others. Getting off campus is highly desirable.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Taking a Gap Year is more the norm than the exception. We like people who do community service who don't have to do it as part of a campus experience like a Day of Service, but that experience inspired them to really be interested in serving others. Getting off campus is highly desirable.
Well all of this would be done off campus, including the current volunteering, but I was more so curious if taking on a full time MA job while in undergrad is viable or not, and how to go about getting clinical experience as a non gap year applicant if it isn't viable.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Well all of this would be done off campus, including the current volunteering, but I was more so curious if taking on a full time MA job while in undergrad is viable or not, and how to go about getting clinical experience as a non gap year applicant if it isn't viable.
I don't think it's advisable to work full time and be a full time college student. Your school work will suffer. See if you can work or volunteer in the summers.

Reactions: 4 users
I don't think it's advisable to work full time and be a full time college student. Your school work will suffer. See if you can work or volunteer in the summers.
I see. I assume it would be tough to get an MA/CNA job for just a summer, so I guess clinical volunteering is my best bet. Is having only clinical volunteering and no paid experience going to be a detriment to my application, or is it okay?

I see. I assume it would be tough to get an MA/CNA job for just a summer, so I guess clinical volunteering is my best bet. Is having only clinical volunteering and no paid experience going to be a detriment to my application, or is it okay?
(Disclaimer, I'm not an expert as the above are)

From my knowledge, paid work has never been one of the "checkboxes" but it is certainly a viable option for some aspects of your application.

You can definitely rack up 500 hours of work over a summer, that's going to be a positive (not that 500 is some magical number you need to hit just tossing it out there). There are clinical jobs that don't require any certification or training, so check those out. I've personally gotten into being a patient/clinical transporter, basically a wheelchair / gurney operator + moving people into and out of beds / exams. It's been a really good experience.

The "just a summer" part I wouldn't worry too much. Most places I see are desperate to hire for anything they can get, and you don't have to say to them "100% I'm going to quit after the summer", you have no idea if something will come up or maybe you will want to continue as PRN/pt.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
While finding a clinical job is certainly not necessary, it does offer a lot of benefits. Most students take at least one gap year to do it, so it will depend on whether you would like to take some extra time before applying.

You'd be surprised about MA /patient care technician (aka nurse's aide) jobs. If you can fill in for a full-time worker on parental leave or help staff a chronically understaffed rehabilitation/nursing home and they'll be happy to have you for "just" a summer. Hospitals, too, might be happy to have someone to help fill gaps created by regular employees taking vacations over the summer or taking time off to be with their kids.