Getting that Golden CA-1 Spot

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

funkyfaroh

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've posted on here before about getting a CA-1 position after doing an intern year somewhere but now I've got a couple of questions.

1) Does having done an intern year quailfy you as a different applicant versus when you were applying right out of medical school?

2)If your Prelim program allows you to do an elective at a Gas program that you wish to train at, does that make as big a difference as it did during med school?

3) How valuable is STEP 3 when looking for a CA-1 position? I would imagine highly valuable if board scores were not as good for step 1-2.

4) I know each program is different, but when applying outside of the match, do most programs still go through the same process (Education committee, etc.) when reviewing your application and eventually offering you a position?

Thanks guys. There are a lot of people out there talking about Anesthesia being a "lifestyle" field. For me, its what I want to do for the rest of my career an am willing to do whatever necessary to become a great candidate. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

1. Yes. You are not a senior medical student, therefore both you and the program are free to go outside the match. That would count equally for a spot starting the next academic year (unfilled through previous match) or the following year (a match spot, but could be awarded outside the match).

2. Like many things in life, who you know is important, but who knows you is more important. If a rotation allows the right people to know you and have a favorable impression, that's a good thing.

3. Depends on the score.

4. Each program will handle things differently, but in general you will most likely go through the same process.

The most straightforward way to do this while keeping the most options open, is to apply through the match as a medical student.

I've posted on here before about getting a CA-1 position after doing an intern year somewhere but now I've got a couple of questions.

1) Does having done an intern year quailfy you as a different applicant versus when you were applying right out of medical school?

2)If your Prelim program allows you to do an elective at a Gas program that you wish to train at, does that make as big a difference as it did during med school?

3) How valuable is STEP 3 when looking for a CA-1 position? I would imagine highly valuable if board scores were not as good for step 1-2.

4) I know each program is different, but when applying outside of the match, do most programs still go through the same process (Education committee, etc.) when reviewing your application and eventually offering you a position?

Thanks guys. There are a lot of people out there talking about Anesthesia being a "lifestyle" field. For me, its what I want to do for the rest of my career an am willing to do whatever necessary to become a great candidate. Any input is greatly appreciated.

You are a sexy funkyfaroh. There was a girl from our school who did a prelim surge and matched anesthesia. I know because I saw her in one of my interviews and she said she didn't match anesthesia in 07, did prelim surge, but this year she got a pgy-2 at a very good program. I think she might be of a great resource for you. Email me on facebook and I'll pass her name to you.
R.

Thanks for all the advice.
I'll PM you cockblockandrun. Name suits you quite well. ;)