Getting to know professors for future lor's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

modernfam

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's my last semester in college and I plan to apply next cycle. I'm not the best when it comes to getting to know professors well enough. I had a few professors in mind for lor's but I'm realizing that they probably don't know me as well as I had hoped. At the moment, I know for sure that my research/cell bio professor and a dentist would write one if I asked but im looking for another science professor. I'm looking at my current anatomy/sensory bio professor but idk how to start a conversation during her office hours. She seems like a very extroverted person, but I'm just concerned that if i we're to go to her office hours i wouldnt know what to ask her. I don't really have questions about what I'm learning in class so how could i build a relationship with her? Some background info, I'm taking two classes with her this semester and I wanted to take her class because a classmate (her former research student) loved her class. Any advice for getting to know professors better during this time?

Members don't see this ad.

I would either just make up a question and ask her. Or show up after a lecture and just speak to her about the best parts of the lecture. I woouldnt even ask for a LOR yet, id wait a few weeks until you do this consistently enough

Reactions: 1 user
Just show up to office hours every single chance you get, if you can make it to all of them then do it. Ask questions that go beyond the class material or make up questions about the class content and listen to her explanations. Get her opinion on best ways to study or whatever other topics you can come up with

Members don't see this ad :)
Just let her know that you've seen her in a couple of your classes and that you'd like to get to know her better.. Movie theaters are closed right now so that's tough but maybe she'd be willing to grab some food at the schools dining center?? ;)

One thing you can do is just go into her office hours and ask her a question.. Then let her know your plans and ask if she'd be willing to write you a letter in the future. Chances are if you give her a heads up then she will pay closer attention to you and how you do in her class. You can also ask if there is anything you can do for her and make her life easier.. chances are there's not but it's nice when someone offers help and I know a lot of professors are stressing right now with everything going on

The advices here are very good! I want you to keep in mind to be consistent with them, and try to show them who you truly are so they can write you a “personable” lor. do NOT wait until the cycle opens to ask them. You would rather have them write it asap because they still remember you. And all they need is to submit the letter/ when you send them a link from ADEA AADSAS that when the cycle opens. Good luck