Game plan for today and the future!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CherylSwoops

Reaction score
They say tough times make tough people….

Guess I’m one tough mfer! Jkjk

I struggled in undergrad a lot and failed to use my resources properly. I graduated with a 2.7 gpa…really bad I know. I said F it and I wanted to see how I could do on the DAT…and ended up with a 15AA…not surprised.

I knew I wasn’t ready at that time but I knew I could be ready one day with some changes to study habits and being closer to family. I took 2 years off and did a rigorous post bacc (bio dense) that I absolutely crushed and got a 3.85. Once I was done I went straight into DAT mode but towards the end I felt like I was getting burnt out and I ended up falling short and got a 17AA.

With that being said…I took a massive risk applying with terrible academic stats, but my PS, LORs, post bacc gpa, 2,000hrs DA experience, shadow/volunteer/community hours are all strong. But something inside me told me that I am ready, I felt it, and I do believe I am ready with all my experiences and knowledge to take on the challenge of dental school.

Surprisingly I got 2 interviews this cycle which I am grateful for and I treated both of them as if it was my only one. 1 pre and 1 post December. I got rejected by one of them already due to my “low stats”, however I am waitlisted at my top choice. I went there for undergrad as well and have a lot of connections in the community. I spoke with the head of admissions and they told me straight up why I’m waitlisted. The reason is because they are not quite sure if I am ready for the academic rigor even though they see me thriving clinically. I have been waitlisted since Dec 15th and keep praying for a miracle. I really love this school would be elated to attend their program.

I am aiming to study for DAT starting April 1st. I also applied to a competitive masters program that is a pathway to dentistry that only selects 5 people for the position but they put a condition on my acceptance. The condition is that I will have to retake the DAT by august 1st and score an 18AA or higher. If I retake the DAT and score a 21 or higher should decline the seat at the masters program? However, I am still
Optimistic about my chances at the school I am still waitlisted at, but I have to be ready for the worst case scenario. Any advice would be much appreciated, I’ve been staying in contact with the admissions counselor (who is the head of admissions) but I don’t want to bother them too much.

To those who struggle like I did and are having trouble staying optimistic, just know you’re not alone and to never give up on your dreams.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
They say tough times make tough people….

Guess I’m one tough mfer! Jkjk

I struggled in undergrad a lot and failed to use my resources properly. I graduated with a 2.7 gpa…really bad I know. I said F it and I wanted to see how I could do on the DAT…and ended up with a 15AA…not surprised.

I knew I wasn’t ready at that time but I knew I could be ready one day with some changes to study habits and being closer to family. I took 2 years off and did a rigorous post bacc (bio dense) that I absolutely crushed and got a 3.85. Once I was done I went straight into DAT mode but towards the end I felt like I was getting burnt out and I ended up falling short and got a 17AA.

With that being said…I took a massive risk applying with terrible academic stats, but my PS, LORs, post bacc gpa, 2,000hrs DA experience, shadow/volunteer/community hours are all strong. But something inside me told me that I am ready, I felt it, and I do believe I am ready with all my experiences and knowledge to take on the challenge of dental school.

Surprisingly I got 2 interviews this cycle which I am grateful for and I treated both of them as if it was my only one. 1 pre and 1 post December. I got rejected by one of them already due to my “low stats”, however I am waitlisted at my top choice. I went there for undergrad as well and have a lot of connections in the community. I spoke with the head of admissions and they told me straight up why I’m waitlisted. The reason is because they are not quite sure if I am ready for the academic rigor even though they see me thriving clinically. I have been waitlisted since Dec 15th and keep praying for a miracle. I really love this school would be elated to attend their program.

I am aiming to study for DAT starting April 1st. I also applied to a competitive masters program that is a pathway to dentistry that only selects 5 people for the position but they put a condition on my acceptance. The condition is that I will have to retake the DAT by august 1st and score an 18AA or higher. If I retake the DAT and score a 21 or higher should decline the seat at the masters program? However, I am still
Optimistic about my chances at the school I am still waitlisted at, but I have to be ready for the worst case scenario. Any advice would be much appreciated, I’ve been staying in contact with the admissions counselor (who is the head of admissions) but I don’t want to bother them too much.

To those who struggle like I did and are having trouble staying optimistic, just know you’re not alone and to never give up on your dreams.
so the program is willing to go out on a limb and take you as long as you get an 18aa, but you are willing to leave them hanging if you do well on the DAT?

so the program is willing to go out on a limb and take you as long as you get an 18aa, but you are willing to leave them hanging if you do well on the DAT?
Yes, I have to get an 18AA or higher by august 1st. If I get somewhere in the range of 20-23AA (maybe 19AA?) do you think I could get an acceptance anywhere with my GPA trend?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, I have to get an 18AA or higher by august 1st. If I get somewhere in the range of 20-23AA (maybe 19AA?) do you think I could get an acceptance anywhere with my GPA trend?
i think you should fulfill your commitment to the masters program if you get over an 18aa...

Your WAMC: WAMC? (First time applicant)

Note that you did not mention how many credits were calculated with your postbac GPA in the original thread. We don't know what courses you took.

I'm not sure what advice you are seeking. You must take parallel strategies: wait for the offer from the waitlist AND do whatever you can to qualify for the SMP.

You have one alternate list spot left and you have a conditional acceptance to the SMP (must score higher than 18 AA on DAT). Is the home program affiliated with a dental school that you want to attend? Is there a linkage agreement where you could get a spring interview with a strong performance in your SMP from fall grades?

You are capable of getting 18+, and you want to be consistent across all subscores. We're talking 1 point away from your most recent attempt, even with the low BIO score. You shouldn't take a long time to get back on the DAT studying bicycle to get back to speed. You must focus on effective test-taking.

If you get a 21, that is even better, but the advice you received is that the committees lack confidence that you have the academic foundation for dental school.

Clearly if the WL becomes an A, take it. If the director of admissions explicitly told you that a DAT 20+ third attempt would be enough to move you up their waitlist, do it. But realize, if you don't do better on attempt #3, you will have baked in an impression about standardized exams to admissions committees, and it will become much harder to overcome that pattern.

Your WAMC: WAMC? (First time applicant)

Note that you did not mention how many credits were calculated with your postbac GPA in the original thread. We don't know what courses you took.

I'm not sure what advice you are seeking. You must take parallel strategies: wait for the offer from the waitlist AND do whatever you can to qualify for the SMP.

You have one alternate list spot left and you have a conditional acceptance to the SMP (must score higher than 18 AA on DAT). Is the home program affiliated with a dental school that you want to attend? Is there a linkage agreement where you could get a spring interview with a strong performance in your SMP from fall grades?

You are capable of getting 18+, and you want to be consistent across all subscores. We're talking 1 point away from your most recent attempt, even with the low BIO score. You shouldn't take a long time to get back on the DAT studying bicycle to get back to speed. You must focus on effective test-taking.

If you get a 21, that is even better, but the advice you received is that the committees lack confidence that you have the academic foundation for dental school.

Clearly if the WL becomes an A, take it. If the director of admissions explicitly told you that a DAT 20+ third attempt would be enough to move you up their waitlist, do it. But realize, if you don't do better on attempt #3, you will have baked in an impression about standardized exams to admissions committees, and it will become much harder to overcome that pattern.

My post bacc was total of 35 credits.

Important courses I took:

Gen Bio 2

Physics 1

Physics 2

Physics 2 lab

Biochemistry 1

Biochemistry 2

Genetics

Microbiology

Microbiology lab

Ecology

Last semester of post bacc I took biochem2, genetics, microbio, and microbio lab all at once and got my first ever 4.0 semester. Although it’s a small sample size, I believe it shows the committee that I can succeed with the rigors of dental school course loads.

I’m from Colorado, I continued my Jesuit education at Creighton University, came back home and did my post bacc at University of Colorado. The masters program is called MHA pathway to dentistry thru the University of Colorado. So if accepted into MHA I’ll have a seat saved at University of Colorado dental. Creighton is my #1 and Colorado is my #2.

During my interview with Creighton the interviewer surprisingly told me my DAT is good/acceptable and that he was more concerned with my undergrad gpa. The interviewer even went out of his way to say that he wants me in the program and that he will vouch for me since he is in the committee (probably why I got a WL and not rejected yet).

If I score a 21+ I would have to decline the masters right? But the thought of waiting another year and not being in the classroom setting irks me a bit. It’s weird, but I do miss being in classes. Praying for Creighton but okay with Colorado.

My post bacc was total of 35 credits.

Important courses I took:

Gen Bio 2

Physics 1

Physics 2

Physics 2 lab

Biochemistry 1

Biochemistry 2

Genetics

Microbiology

Microbiology lab

Ecology

Last semester of post bacc I took biochem2, genetics, microbio, and microbio lab all at once and got my first ever 4.0 semester. Although it’s a small sample size, I believe it shows the committee that I can succeed with the rigors of dental school course loads.

I’m from Colorado, I continued my Jesuit education at Creighton University, came back home and did my post bacc at University of Colorado. The masters program is called MHA pathway to dentistry thru the University of Colorado. So if accepted into MHA I’ll have a seat saved at University of Colorado dental. Creighton is my #1 and Colorado is my #2.

During my interview with Creighton the interviewer surprisingly told me my DAT is good/acceptable and that he was more concerned with my undergrad gpa. The interviewer even went out of his way to say that he wants me in the program and that he will vouch for me since he is in the committee (probably why I got a WL and not rejected yet).

If I score a 21+ I would have to decline the masters right? But the thought of waiting another year and not being in the classroom setting irks me a bit. It’s weird, but I do miss being in classes. Praying for Creighton but okay with Colorado.
why would you "have to decline the masters"?