Getting work in the UK

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

USdoc

USdoc
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a US medical degree and just finished my residency training in IM. My girlfriend might be moving to London and I was wondering if my training here would equate to training there in terms of getting a IM/Hospitalist position. Any feedback would be appreciated.

A

Members don't see this ad.

The simple answer is no. There is no such a thing as a hospitalist in the UK they don't exist. There is a specialty of general internal medicine, but I have never met anyone who is only trained in this they usually have another speciality (e.g. endo, gastro, geriatrics). You would also be surprised that things you consider the standard of care would be considered heresy. The NHS is also very different from anything in the US. The other thing is that you can only get a job if a non EEA applicant cannot be found assuming you are not a UK/EU citizen.

To become a consultant you need to have 5 years post-internship training/experience. sounds like you only have 2. Look at the GMC website www.gmc-uk.org for more info on getting registered and license to practice. On top of that you would then need to see if you could get equivalence of training which it sounds like you don't have enough training to be a consultant. You could locum probably or get some dead-end middle grade position but you likely would only be making 35-50 pounds/hr in London.

There is no residency training in the UK. After medical school doctors complete 2 years of foundation training and then apply for core training. That would be 2 years of core medical training in the case of internal medicine. They then apply for higher training (you cannot finish there unless you want some dead end job). This is in specialities including acute medicine, cardiology, gastro, and even derm, and neuro (unlike in the US) that training us usually 4-6 years further. You would also have a low chance of getting into higher training if you are not a UK/EU citizen.