Getting your medical license in another state

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kbrown

chicken
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So we do this all the time. Look for a job, find one we like, then apply for a license in that state (all before we complete residency). So what's to stop us from doing that say now (in our mid second year)? I know that I am going back to my home state to practice. They are gonna want to see my license before I start practicing, so why not get it all out of the way earlier?

I am sure that there a glaringly obviously reason, but having never gone through this before I don't know what it is. Could someone enlighten me?

thanks in advance,

KB

Members don't see this ad.

There is no reason you cannot do this, provided that you have met the licensure requirements of that state, i.e. 1-2 years of post grad training, no DUI, etc.

I'll have two separate state licenses by the time I graduate in June, possibly 3 depending on where I get a job.

Nevermind. Just decided to call the State Board of Healing Arts and ask. For those who are curious, the answer is:

Your teaching license is only voided if you get a full license in the same state (makes sense, cuz then you don't need the teaching license). Otherwise you can have a teaching and full in two different states for as long as you like. Just know that each year that you renew, you are paying for something that you aren't using. Also, in the state that I will be going to , you have to carry malpractice to get renewed OR change your license to inactive until you can show proof of malpractice in that state. In some states (maybe all, I don't know) you can only apply for a license once you can prove that you have successfully completed Steps 1,2,3 or the equivalent.

I'm sure that everyone knew this but me, but this is what I learned today.

Members don't see this ad :)
A few questions

1.) Do you not have to apply for a full unrestricted license after PGY1 in order to be a resident? Are you covered under the same licensure from internship through residency?

2.)If you apply for multiple state licenses at the same time, and one gets denied or probationary, but the others go through do you have to inform the other states of the denied one?

Thanks

A few questions

1.) Do you not have to apply for a full unrestricted license after PGY1 in order to be a resident? Are you covered under the same licensure from internship through residency?

2.)If you apply for multiple state licenses at the same time, and one gets denied or probationary, but the others go through do you have to inform the other states of the denied one?

Thanks

1. Depends - some residencies require that you obtain a medical license in that state in order to graduate. California requires this. New York does not.

2. Yes, but if you have to ask, then you're probably screwed for a license anyway.

I know that I am going back to my home state to practice. They are gonna want to see my license before I start practicing, so why not get it all out of the way earlier?

One main reason not to do this in second year is cost. Licenses are generally good for two years or less depending on the state, so you'll just have to pay again to re-up when you start your job after residency.

That said, getting approved for a state license can be very lengthy and time consuming depending on the state. California and Texas take a hell of a long time, up to a year. You obviously need to have your license in hand before starting your new job in July after you graduate, which means applying well in advance.

I'm personally a little nervous about this, as I am graduating this year and will be following my 4th year med student wife wherever she matches. I can't afford to pre-apply for licenses in all of her top picks, and I just hope I have enough time to get credentialed between Match Day and July.

One main reason not to do this in second year is cost. Licenses are generally good for two years or less depending on the state, so you'll just have to pay again to re-up when you start your job after residency.

If you're allowed to moonlight during residency, then getting a license is easily worth it. All you have to do is work 1-2 shifts and you've recovered the cost. The cost to renew a license is a fraction (typically about $200) so this shouldn't be a factor.

2. Yes, but if you have to ask, then you're probably screwed for a license anyway.

I'm sure, because no physician who holds a license has EVER done anything outside of perfect pre-med student never-make-a-bad-decision (or be treated for depression GOD FORBID) behavior :confused:

There is no reason you cannot do this, provided that you have met the licensure requirements of that state, i.e. 1-2 years of post grad training, no DUI, etc.QUOTE]

by your comment it makes it seem as if someone who has a dui can't a medical license. is this from personal experience? i know of at least one guy who unfortunately made a mistake, has a dui, and still got a medical license after revealing it on his application.

i have a lawyer friend (take it with a grain of salt) and the medical board gives the hardest time to applicants who lie on an application. they prefer if you tell them that you stole a little old lady's sandwich because u were poor and hungry instead of lying about convictions on an application. it's more about honesty. if you are referring to what "some friend" told you, maybe they were not upfront with you and lied about it on their application.

There is no reason you cannot do this, provided that you have met the licensure requirements of that state, i.e. 1-2 years of post grad training, no DUI, etc.QUOTE]

by your comment it makes it seem as if someone who has a dui can't a medical license. is this from personal experience? i know of at least one guy who unfortunately made a mistake, has a dui, and still got a medical license after revealing it on his application.

i have a lawyer friend (take it with a grain of salt) and the medical board gives the hardest time to applicants who lie on an application. they prefer if you tell them that you stole a little old lady's sandwich because u were poor and hungry instead of lying about convictions on an application. it's more about honesty. if you are referring to what "some friend" told you, maybe they were not upfront with you and lied about it on their application.
It's not that you can't get a medical license with "issues" in your past. It's that it's a lot more difficult. You will have to explain what happened, what the legal resolutions were, what the personal resolutions were (did you go to rehab, did you do through diversion in another state, etc.) and you will probably have to appear before the board of the state where you are applying to answer questions.

All good points, but the most salient (which I learned the hard way): start earlier, not later. Even if you are not using it, you'll be ready to on day 1 when you can use it.

No joke. My state uses the FSMB Credentials Verification Service which is pretty involved and requires a lot of minutia from you and $400.00. Then I have to fill out my State's application which asks a lot of the same questions (so why use the FSMB?) and costs another $380.00 not counting $50.00 bucks for fingerprinting and a criminal background check.

Then I have to get a DEA number.

I bet I've spent close to $10,000 bucks on various applications fees, exam fees, credentialing fees, and the like in the last seven years. Medical students and doctors are a gold mine for somebody.