Getting your MPH before med school.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sahinak

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So my stats are this and should I get my MPH (ill get it regardless after/before) to heighten my stats and competition??

Im probably going to do my MPH on Global Health (epidemiology)

Major: Political Science/Biology
S. GPA: 3.3
Regular GPA: 3.4
MCAT: 32

E.C:
- officer at honor prehealth society
- Research Associate for clinical research
- Project Healthcare program
- Regular science research
- Work for a NGO in a proverty stricken country (volunteer abroad)
- EMT
- Photojournalist/documentary on heath issues in poor countries.
- work for a womens domestic abuse group in NY
- Shadow a clinic of pediatricians, oncologists, internists.

IVE still continued doing all this throughout my college career and still continue doing so.

Give me your insight/feedback on anything.

MUCCCHHH APPRECIATED!!!
:laugh::love::)

Members don't see this ad.

i would say go for the MPH and try for Berkeley's School of Public Health

With your stats and E.C.s, I certainly think you could secure a DO acceptance if you apply this year. I personally found that the DO schools I applied to really seemed to value that kind of experience as you have. I personally was finishing my MPH before applying to MD and DO schools, and my impression was that the DO schools gave me brownie points for it, as they seemed really interested in my public health work. However, with you current stats and E.C.s I think you should be able to secure a DO admission without doing an MPH now. In fact, you can also apply to combined DO/MPH programs which would save you money.

As far as MD schools go, I don't think it would help that much... maybe it might make you a bit more competitive, but not a huge deal. If you are only focused on MD, then you'd be better off taking time to get your GPA up, especially the science GPA.

I would never advise anyone to do an MPH just to look good for med school. I did the MPH because I was genuinely interested in public health. For me, I enjoyed it because of my interest. But if I were only doing it to be competitive for med school, I don't think it's a good choice at all. Better to save the money and get an MPH as part of your MD/DO program.

Members don't see this ad :)
Im only thinking abt MD schools.

Oh I have one more year and about 18 credits of advanced science to go.

So my stats are this and should I get my MPH (ill get it regardless after/before) to heighten my stats and competition??

MPH is great, but not for this reason. It will NOT heighten your chances for med school.

In fact, it could backfire if your grades are really excellent in the grad program.

It also could remove one arrow from your quiver - many med schools are interested in students with a research interest, and in a 5th year you could get the MPH during your MD program. If you get the degree now, the question will be what is your research interest for med school?

Get on the ball, make straight As from here on out in UG, and apply for MD school. Apply very broadly, and you really should consider DO if you are serious about becoming a physician.

Im only thinking abt MD schools.

Oh I have one more year and about 18 credits of advanced science to go.

try to get your GPA up as high as you can. that means more undergrad courses would help rather than a MPH. if you are looking to take more classes, then i suggest not graduating and adding another major or something. financial aid is usually good for 5 years of undergrad (i think) so you can save money that way or take ugrad courses at a cheaper school.

mph should be done if you have sincere interest in public health later on

I would do this : get the best grades you possibly can on your remaining courses. DO APPLY to M.D. schools for the entering class immediately following graduation from undergrad. Try as hard as you can to get in the first try.

If you don't get in, THEN go to the MPH program, and reapply for admission that year.

The reason to do it this way is that if you have a 50% chance of getting in with those stats, then two tries are much better than 1. And if you got in the first try, you could always do the MPH later....MPH programs aren't competitive, med school admission is.

people who say a MPH won't increase your chances for getting into a med school probably don't have an MPH and know next to nothing about public health. It's not a "fancy extracurricular"....it's an advance professional degree that 95% of applicants don't have.

Now, as with the whole application process, it's about selling yourself and creating an "image." If you are serious about public health and think the experiences/exposure/connections will help you achieve your career goals then an MPH is a wonderful addition. It will give you something to talk about, write about, and share during the application process--something that few other people will have.

No one should do an MPH just for "kicks." Everyone in the program will WANT to be there and know exactly what they want to get out of it.

people who say a MPH won't increase your chances for getting into a med school probably don't have an MPH and know next to nothing about public health. It's not a "fancy extracurricular"....it's an advance professional degree that 95% of applicants don't have.

Now, as with the whole application process, it's about selling yourself and creating an "image." If you are serious about public health and think the experiences/exposure/connections will help you achieve your career goals then an MPH is a wonderful addition. It will give you something to talk about, write about, and share during the application process--something that few other people will have.

No one should do an MPH just for "kicks." Everyone in the program will WANT to be there and know exactly what they want to get out of it.

An MPH will not be of much help to an applicant with as low a GPA as the OP has - the UG GPA is what matters for competitiveness, not graduate grades. My advice is to do it in conjunction with the MD if it really is that important to him, but not to do it pre MD in the hopes it will "heighten" his competitiveness, because it won't.

Money doesn't grow on trees - these degrees take a commitment of time and money - the advice for the OP is that he should make straight As in his remaining UG classes, then apply very broadly to MD and DO schools.

The only grad program that could help the OP is an SMP - this would be a much smarter investment of time and money following an unsuccessful app cycle.

Frankly, I am pretty skeptical of the motivations of any applicant like the OP who rejects DO out of hand...can't really be all that motivated to be a physician if you reject the path of most likely success with his grade problem.

My reason to rejecting DO is because im currently extensively involved with the healthcare system in my country (bangladesh) and so they do not recognize DO degrees with too much respect but they do with an MD. I respect all traits about DO but I know in the long run its not for me.

Were trying to implement a truama system as well as organizing specialized clinics (this will be the first in bd). I have also worked in implementing more women's health awareness there and so i thought getting this degree would be so much more helpful.

And there is no way on earth am i getting an MPH because i want to increase my chances of getting in ONLY. i am sincerely interested in public health hence my involvement with my E.C.. my E.C's truly show my love and interest for public health.

I just wantd to know if i should do this before or after. I mean if im going to get rejected from MD schools cuz of my grades.. might as well use that year to do something that will help me help others.

TO WHOEVER said I dont have interest in medicine. suffice to say.. i do have an interest and i dont need the money.. if i wanted money.. i can ask for it anyday.. God has blessed me with more than enough money.. i dont need to take loans for med school. and besides... id be a lawyer or sit and use my husbands money (hes a doctor).
:laugh::D

My reason to rejecting DO is because im currently extensively involved with the healthcare system in my country (bangladesh) and so they do not recognize DO degrees with too much respect but they do with an MD. I respect all traits about DO but I know in the long run its not for me.

Were trying to implement a truama system as well as organizing specialized clinics (this will be the first in bd). I have also worked in implementing more women's health awareness there and so i thought getting this degree would be so much more helpful.

And there is no way on earth am i getting an MPH because i want to increase my chances of getting in ONLY. i am sincerely interested in public health hence my involvement with my E.C.. my E.C's truly show my love and interest for public health.

I just wantd to know if i should do this before or after. I mean if im going to get rejected from MD schools cuz of my grades.. might as well use that year to do something that will help me help others.

TO WHOEVER said I dont have interest in medicine. suffice to say.. i do have an interest and i dont need the money.. if i wanted money.. i can ask for it anyday.. God has blessed me with more than enough money.. i dont need to take loans for med school. and besides... id be a lawyer or sit and use my husbands money (hes a doctor).
:laugh::D

Then why do you need an MD, either? You are describing social work more than medicine here. Get the MPH if you believe that will enhance your understanding and credentials to get involved in your home country...you could be on the ground "helping" in another year, as opposed to being in a 10 year training process to be an MD...

A suggestion. If you are unsure of you stats as a candidate for medical school, do what I did. I was interested in applying to my local medical school. I made an appointment with an admissions counselor and brought my transcripts and asked her what were my chances of getting in. I also asked questions regarding getting an graduate degree to boost up my application. We talked about taking pre-med classes at a community college vs university, MCAT scores, how the admission committee choose accepted students, and misinformation regarding the interview and application process. She also made a file with my name on it to keep track on my progress as I follow her suggestions. After the session I felt without a doubt I knew what I had to do to get in. I didn't have to wonder anymore. So now if I have questions about my chances of getting accepted, I just ask the medical school.

You can get into MD programs with your stats, but it will be difficult, obviously.

I don't think an MPH is that helpful from people I've known who've done it b/c there are SOOOO many people who fail to get into med school who try that path, and MPH programs are nothing like med school (particularly with regards to the fact that most lack rigorous science courses), so they don't really support the notion that you can do well in an M.D. program. They do show some commitment to the field, of course.

I personally believe that MS programs are way too overlooked with regards to boosting your credentials for med school. They tend to be more rigorous, and there are some that are offered in fields of public health. It makes it clear that you are not in the throngs of re-applicants who got an MPH only b/c you didn't (or thought you couldn't) get into med school.

If you like epi, perhaps you would be interested in an MS in biostatistics, which without being an MPH is easier to find in a 1 yr + 1 summer program. Alternatively maybe you could get some school to offer you a design-your-own Masters that is really targeted to your interests rather than a general bio M.S.

thank you!!

i think ill wait till i finish the 20 credits of science i have left and then apply to both MPH and MD.

thank youuu

= ):love::)