MD Ghosted after interview invitation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bogle8

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Got an IM interview invitation last Friday and I responded within 20 min. PC said she would be out of office until Monday and would email us back with confirmation of dates. She never did. I have emailed her again this week with no response. How often does this happen? What should I do?

Members don't see this ad.

When they never get back and continue ghosting, feel free to name and shame the program after match

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I’ve had multiple that have filled within 5 minutes. All full, actual spots and waitlist. It’s a valid concern. Just chilling isn’t exactly the best approach considering this. No?

Reactions: 2 users
I’ve had multiple that have filled within 5 minutes. All full, actual spots and waitlist. It’s a valid concern. Just chilling isn’t exactly the best approach considering this. No?
An interview invite? Umm if they offer you an interview they shouldn’t rescind that offer. If they do you don’t want to go there anyways cause they clearly don’t give a ****.

Also, something a lot of you probably don’t know: residency coordinators have a LOT of clout. Like a lot. Pissing them off can be a kiss of death.

An interview invite? Umm if they offer you an interview they shouldn’t rescind that offer. If they do you don’t want to go there anyways cause they clearly don’t give a ****.
Not rescinded. Clearly I don’t know how it was when you matched but multiple programs so far have sent out more invites than spots

Though, I agree with your conclusion

Not rescinded. Clearly I don’t know how it was when you matched but multiple programs so far have sent out more invites than spots

Though, I agree with your conclusion
I’m not that old. I’m EM but that’s pretty odd behavior for any specialty I think. You see, residency is usually a sellers market and interview invites go out in batches. They fill up one batch, then they go onto the next. That’s why in some really good programs, you’ll already have all the dates up til near the new year filled almost. They also know that if a spot opens they can call people that week and fill it with ease. If a program is sending out more offers than they have spots they must not think very highly of themselves. Or they are just asses. One of the two. Sorry, though, that’s lame.

I’m not that old. I’m EM but that’s pretty odd behavior for any specialty I think. You see, residency is usually a sellers market and interview invites go out in batches. They fill up one batch, then they go onto the next. That’s why in some really good programs, you’ll already have all the dates up til near the new year filled almost. They also know that if a spot opens they can call people that week and fill it with ease. If a program is sending out more offers than they have spots they must not think very highly of themselves. Or they are just asses. One of the two. Sorry, though, that’s lame.

ACOG had to send out a bulletin to OB programs telling them to stop doing this. This is annoyingly common.

One place i am interviewing at had two openings total by the time they got back to me with dates..

ACOG had to send out a bulletin to OB programs telling them to stop doing this. This is annoyingly common.

One place i am interviewing at had two openings total by the time they got back to me with dates..
I just matched this past spring - it is unfortunately INCREDIBLY common these days for programs to send out more invitations than spots, across multiple specialties. I forget if it was from ERAS or the NRMP, but we got a few emails throughout interview season with "reminders" of the professionalism guidelines for the match, and this was one of the policies on the programs' end that they reiterated a few times. If you don't respond within like an hour (and often less) of getting your interview invite, there's a decent chance you'd be out of luck for getting an interview spot at all, let alone one that worked with your schedule.

OP: I would hold off for the rest of this week and see if the program coordinator gets back to you. You said it was for "confirmation of dates" - if you selected a date and are just waiting to hear back to confirm, I'd plan on getting that date. If you don't hear anything, call her this coming Monday to confirm the date and also come up with some other relevant question to ask about like local hotels they recommend or something. Tenk is right that coming off poorly to the program coordinator can royally screw you over at a program - continue to express a polite amount of interest but be very careful not to be overly pushy. And if you don't hear back...so be it. I had a few programs that I interviewed at that had some scheduling issues like this, and when I went in person I found that these organization issues tended to be present throughout the program. If they can't get it together for recruitment, when they're really working to put their best foot forward, then they probably won't get it together for the current residents either.
crazy, never heard of this in EM.

Got an IM interview invitation last Friday and I responded within 20 min. PC said she would be out of office until Monday and would email us back with confirmation of dates. She never did. I have emailed her again this week with no response. How often does this happen? What should I do?

Its common. Program coordinators are crazy busy. If you sent a date, its likely you have the invite. If not, then contact them again next week.

crazy, never heard of this in EM.

Yeah its actually very common in a lot of specialties, especially ones with a high interview to spot ratio. I remember getting invites, checking the calender within an hour or two and having either 1 or 0 options left for interviews, then being put on an interview waitlist. The good news is that spots open up as people cancel interviews.

At this point, either you have an interview date and they just haven't officially confirmed it, or you got lost in the shuffle somehow and don't have a spot. Continuing to fret about it and/or send additional messages likely won't change that, so the timing of how you want to follow this up likely isn't that urgent.

Maybe send another message tomorrow, and if they don't get back to you then call on Monday.

Reactions: 1 user
Unless you piss off the RC, that can easily land you a rescinded offer without response

Update: I finally heard back from the PC over one week later with an interview date. Not sure why it would take that long.

Reactions: 1 users