Ghosting during Neurology recruitment

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Phantom Spike

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those neurologists who are currently (or have recently been) job-hunting, how often do candidates get "ghosted" (i.e., no response to e-mails, phone calls or texts) by potential employers during an ongoing interview process? Re-entering the job market after almost a decade, I am surprised at how frequently I am experiencing this. In some cases there is no response to my follow-up communication after an introductory e-mail or phone call, in others there is radio silence after the first or sometimes a round of interviews. I can't think of any red flags that might be causing this kind of non-response. I understand that positions becomes unavailable, priorities change, better candidates are found, or employers simply think a candidate is not a good fit, but a complete lack of response to repeated inquiries once the process is well underway is certainly not something I had expected in this setting. I don't recall this being the case the last time I was job-hunting. Is this perhaps a result of the shift towards virtual interviews?

Members don't see this ad.

For those neurologists who are currently (or have recently been) job-hunting, how often do candidates get "ghosted" (i.e., no response to e-mails, phone calls or texts) by potential employers during an ongoing interview process? Re-entering the job market after almost a decade, I am surprised at how frequently I am experiencing this. In some cases there is no response to my follow-up communication after an introductory e-mail or phone call, in others there is radio silence after the first or sometimes a round of interviews. I can't think of any red flags that might be causing this kind of non-response. I understand that positions becomes unavailable, priorities change, better candidates are found, or employers simply think a candidate is not a good fit, but a complete lack of response to repeated inquiries once the process is well underway is certainly not something I had expected in this setting. I don't recall this being the case the last time I was job-hunting. Is this perhaps a result of the shift towards virtual interviews?

PGY-4 here who just concluded my job hunt.

Yes, it happened several times to me. In fact only 3 out of the 10 jobs I interviewed with and discussed the job details ended up giving me a job offer. The other 7 went completely radio silence.

The interesting thing is that those that ghosted me are still recruiting desperately, so it’s not like they filled the position or are no longer in need for a neurologist.

I thought maybe it was because I was fresh out of training, but it seems that it’s also happening to seasoned physicians like yourself.

Reactions: 1 users
Have you been ghosted after you've actually interviewed with medical directors/section chiefs etc. (i.e., beyond the initial recruiter phase)? To me, that's particularly surprising; if they've taken the time to speak with you at that level, you'd expect that they would at least let you know that they then decided not to move forward.

Don't get me wrong, I've had outright rejections as well. But at least when you get that communication, there's a sense of closure and you know immediately to move on. I guess it's been a long time since I job-hunted, and it was delusional to expect that medicine would be any different from any other field, where ghosting is quite a common practice.

Members don't see this ad :)
No, I didn’t get that far in the interview process at the places that they ghosted me.

It is strange indeed to have you meet with their medical staff, and then stop communicating with you.

The thing that annoyed me during this process is how little information they give you upfront. I mean basic things such as the pay and benefits. All of the places I interviewed at resisted giving me detailed information until I was knees deep in the process.

Reactions: 1 user
It’s been more than 3 years since I was seriously job hunting. Not too long ago though. I interviewed at 10 places and received offers from 8 places. One place ghosted me and one place told me that they were choosing not to go further in the recruitment process.

Not sure if the overall neurology job market is different now. But it’s possible that there are now more interested candidates than jobs in certain desired locations/cities.

Projected compensation should be shared as early as possible, but no later than after the first interview. I have had some employers give me that info even before the interview - which is what I prefer.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user