GI application discussion thread: '08-09 version

Started by JayneCobb
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

good luck everyone. def. a long and painful process!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
hey I'm applying to GI this year to start in 2010... how many programs are people planning to apply to? I don't have any geographic limitations and know that "applying widely" is important but I don't know exactly how wide that means - 40, 50, 60??? Any thoughts? Thanks!
 
Widely means as many as you can afford to apply to. My view is that this is particularly true if you're a good candidate. If you're a less likely candidate (i.e., you're an IMG, no research, etc) and your best chance is at your own institution, I would be more selective since you're probably not going to be accepted anywhere else.
 
is this like residency where i have to register separately for nrmp? anyone know when the deadline for that is? thanks.