GI Boards 2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gastro101

Reaction score
I took the GI boards in November of 2021 and passed.

Walking out of the exam, I felt I studied well and was 100% sure I was going to pass. After I finished the test, I initially felt relief that it was done, but that turned into fear by the time I got home. I was terrified that I failed because I remembered a bunch of questions that I got wrong from a combination of remembering stupid mistakes and looking up answers and realizing I got those questions wrong. I was convinced I got at least 40-50 questions wrong (possibly more because I felt I was able to narrow the majority of the questions down to 2 answers, and then I would take an educated guess to chose the right answer). It felt like none of the questions came from the resources I used. I was 100% sure I failed and was already figuring out ways to study again.

To my surprise (and disappointment), there really hasn't been a lot of recent posting regarding the best resources. So I told myself that if I passed, I would write my experience.

I used Steinberg GI videos and Mayo Clinic Review videos. After the exam, I felt neither of the videos contained the material needed to answer the questions, but I felt the Mayo Clinic Review videos was the better of the two.

I bought the Steinberg GI course when I was a 3rd year fellow. From previous fellows, this was thought to be the gold standard board review course. I didn't really find the course that helpful, in the sense I didn't really think I got many questions right because of this course. The course is a great course for practicing attendings as a way to keep fresh on the most up to date knowledge and that is because a lot of the course is based on experts in the field and what they do in practice (which does not always correlate with the guidelines). In addition, some of the videos was just a review of recent studies/publications and was not really going over guidelines/board specific information. Therefore, if I had to study for this again, I would not use the Steinberg videos.

About 3 weeks before my exam, I panicked because I realized Steinberg was not that great, and I bought the Mayo Clinic Review Course. I thought this course was great because it goes over information in a way that I thought was more board pertinent and it felt like it was pulling information from guidelines.

In the end, I watched all of the Mayo Clinic Review course and re-watched the videos for topics that I felt weak in. Although I didn't feel like the Steinberg video course was helpful, I did end up watching all of them and re-watching the videos for topics that I felt weak in.

In terms of questions banks, I did DDSEP 9. I pretty much repeated the questions multiples times until my exam. There is a lot of information in the answer explanation. I tried to read the explanations as much as possible, but for the most part I would skim the explanation and try to pick up the key points.

I did the 2021 ACG Self-Assessment, which I thought was great.

I was told Acing the GI Board Exam was good. I ended up just reading the "Here's the point" comments in the book, which were the high-yield points in the chapters.

I didn't read the DDSEP books, so I cannot really comment on that.

I didn't do the Steinberg question bank, so I cannot really comment on that.

If I had to study for this again, I would use DDSEP 9 and the most recent ACG self-assessments as my question bank, Mayo Clinic Review videos as a my board review course, and I would read Acing the GI Board Exam, using these resources as many times as possible before the exam date.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 1 users
Congratulations....it's a poorly written test overall. Fortunately pass rate is very high

Walking out of the exam, I felt I studied well and was 100% sure I was going to pass. After I finished the test, I initially felt relief that it was done, but that turned into fear by the time I got home. I was terrified that I failed because I remembered a bunch of questions that I got wrong from a combination of remembering stupid mistakes and looking up answers and realizing I got those questions wrong. I was convinced I got at least 40-50 questions wrong (possibly more because I felt I was able to narrow the majority of the questions down to 2 answers, and then I would take an educated guess to chose the write answer). It felt like none of the questions came from the resources I used. I was 100% sure I failed and was already figuring out ways to study again.

To my surprise (and disappointment), there really hasn't been a lot of recent posting regarding the best resources. So I told myself that if I passed, I would write my experience.

I used Steinberg GI videos and Mayo Clinic Review videos. After the exam, I felt neither of the videos contained the material needed to answer the questions, but I felt the Mayo Clinic Review videos was the better of the two.

I bought the Steinberg GI course when I was a 3rd year fellow. From previous fellows, this was thought to be the gold standard board review course. I didn't really find the course that helpful, in the sense I didn't really think I got many questions right because of this course. The course is a great course for practicing attendings as a way to keep fresh on the most up to date knowledge and that is because a lot of the course is based on experts in the field and what they do in practice (which does not always correlate with the guidelines). In addition, some of the videos was just a review of recent studies/publications and was not really going over guidelines/board specific information. Therefore, if I had to study for this again, I would not use the Steinberg videos.

About 3 weeks before my exam, I panicked because I realized Steinberg was not that great, and I bought the Mayo Clinic Review Course. I thought this course was great because it goes over information in a way that I thought was more board pertinent and it felt like it was pulling information from guidelines.

In the end, I watched all of the Mayo Clinic Review course and re-watched the videos for topics that I felt weak in. Although I didn't feel like the Steinberg video course was helpful, I did end up watching all of them and re-watching the videos for topics that I felt weak in.

In terms of questions banks, I did DDSEP 9. I pretty much repeated the questions multiples times until my exam. There is a lot of information in the answer explanation. I tried to read the explanations as much as possible, but for the most part I would skim the explanation and try to pick up the key points.

I was told Acing the GI Board Exam was good. I ended up just reading the "Here's the point" comments in the book, which were the high-yield points in the chapters.

If I had to study for this again, I would use DDSEP 9 and the most recent ACG self-assessments as my question bank, Mayo Clinic Review videos as a my board review course, and I would read Acing the GI Board Exam, using these resources as many times as possible before the exam date.

Thank you for this post, very much needed and surprising how little good info is on this board when I went to take my boards, hopefully you reverse that trend. Totally agree re: Steinberg. The faculty are some of the heaviest hitters and biggest names in GI and clearly brilliant, but often preach their own or institutions research or method rather than actually reviewing what is important for the boards (or guidelines). Clinically helpful and great to hear a State-of-the-Art kecture, but sometimes not what you need for the boards.

I watched the Steinberg course as well did some DDSEP questions during fellowship and did the ACG SSAT for the last few years. I'd say I really liked the ACG questions- but keep in mind they sometimes put in very recent practice changes that will not be on the test. The SSAT was easier than the actual boards but explanations were great. I read the Acing original book during fellowship and really liked it, it did help some concepts stick and I had a few pics from it on boards, or helped me narrow down some choices.

I will say, OP was exceptionally well prepared, few in my friends/ cofellows did this much, but then none of us walked out confident in our pass. I did do steady reading during fellowship and did well on GTEs and my fellowship was strong in everything for the most part so sometimes I could answer based on what we did and I think I was right. So that'd be the first piece of advice- read steadily during fellowship- know your guidelines.

In retrospect I may have looked the Mayo vids (because of OPs rec), and Steinberg only if an abundance of time. Would've still done the Acing book and the other particular topic ones if you are weak in a specific one- can't ever hurt to do more liver since its the largest part of the test. The rest I think reading wise just look over the ACG/ ASGE/ AASLD/ AGA guidelines (omit those released that same year)- very high yield, and then do as many ACG SSATs and DDSEP questions as you can, I guess you could use DDSEP text where weak. Expect to see cholangiograms, endoscopic, and imaging pictures. Path slides are low yield and I remember hardly any- someone correct me. Don't neglect the easy stats qs, little time to review and guaranteed at least a few qs. Your 2 min per question is actually reasonable.

Fortunately pass rate very high as another commentor mentioned.

Members don't see this ad :)

Walking out of the exam, I felt I studied well and was 100% sure I was going to pass. After I finished the test, I initially felt relief that it was done, but that turned into fear by the time I got home. I was terrified that I failed because I remembered a bunch of questions that I got wrong from a combination of remembering stupid mistakes and looking up answers and realizing I got those questions wrong. I was convinced I got at least 40-50 questions wrong (possibly more because I felt I was able to narrow the majority of the questions down to 2 answers, and then I would take an educated guess to chose the write answer). It felt like none of the questions came from the resources I used. I was 100% sure I failed and was already figuring out ways to study again.

Wow you did a lot. I just did the available ACG tests and reread questions I did wrong. Test was honestly not that bad. The cost of taking the test on the other hand….

Wow you did a lot. I just did the available ACG tests and reread questions I did wrong. Test was honestly not that bad. The cost of taking the test on the other hand….
That's amazing that you only needed to do the ACG tests to pass. Unfortunately, not everyone is that intelligent. Congratulations!

Not sure if I would recommend to anyone that they should only do the ACG tests, better to be over prepared than under prepared. I would stick to the resources I mentioned above.

That's amazing that you only needed to do the ACG tests to pass. Unfortunately, not everyone is that intelligent. Congratulations!

Not sure if I would recommend to anyone that they should only do the ACG tests, better to be over prepared than under prepared. I would stick to the resources I mentioned above.
I also did DDSEP q banks the couple of months before the GTE each year during fellowship. Read Ace the boards (just the GI from a few years ago) slowly during my last year of fellowship, which was a good bedtime book. I think if your comfortably doing fine on GTE during last 1-2 years, ACG tests are all that are needed. But if doing more gives you piece of mind then no harm in doing more.

I agree with the above posts in that doing DDSEP and ACG question banks are the best resources. I almost didn't do ACG but was really glad after I decided to do it. Felt like there were multiple questions from ACG 2021 that informed questions on the boards. I went through both DDSEP and ACG 2021 twice, did Steinberg, and the Acing the Boards GI book. I thought Steinberg was decent but agree that some of the material does not entirely teach to the boards. I did not have access to the Mayo board review so did not do that one. I'm sure it's good as well. I felt like what I did was overkill to be honest. I felt that the test was tough but did not feel terrible overall when I took it. I was surprised to see how low the bar was for a passing score. I think I stressed more than I should have in retrospect. I think if you take studying for it seriously, you should do fine.

Last edited:
Acg qs and Ace the boards books are more than enough. Good luck to all.

Reactions: 1 user
I did DDSEP and the main acing the GI boards book. Didn’t think anything more was necessary

would anyone recommend the additional two book of the "Acing the GI boards" series (i.e. the liver edition and the pancreaticobiliary edition) or is the main book a good enough resource?

would anyone recommend the additional two book of the "Acing the GI boards" series (i.e. the liver edition and the pancreaticobiliary edition) or is the main book a good enough resource?

Books are all great, and since there is so much liver on the boards its worthwhile if an abundance of time, others if you are particularly weak in the area. Too little IBD on the boards to say must do but its actually very practical clinically. Similar for Panc bil good for images and learning on service, not needed for boards.

Walking out of the exam, I felt I studied well and was 100% sure I was going to pass. After I finished the test, I initially felt relief that it was done, but that turned into fear by the time I got home. I was terrified that I failed because I remembered a bunch of questions that I got wrong from a combination of remembering stupid mistakes and looking up answers and realizing I got those questions wrong. I was convinced I got at least 40-50 questions wrong (possibly more because I felt I was able to narrow the majority of the questions down to 2 answers, and then I would take an educated guess to chose the right answer). It felt like none of the questions came from the resources I used. I was 100% sure I failed and was already figuring out ways to study again.

Which Mayo Clinic videos did you use? Thanks!

Anyone have experience with the board vitals question bank? I have extra CME to use, and prefer question based learning rather than reading a textbook or lectures. Almost done with ddsep9, don’t think they are great questions or explanations for that matter.

On DDSEP in the viral hepatitis book and questions sections, there were tons of questions on which HCV antiviral to use in a particular situation. I had very little clinical exposure to this, and found it terribly pedantic to memorize. Were there are a lot of questions on this on the boards? And do people feel the cholangiograms and path images in DDSEP were enough to be prepared for the actual test?