GI fellowship app

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

myiasis

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would it be acceptable/recommended to have one of my rec letters be written by a med school research adviser, if I had done published research with him and he is a prominent GI doc? Or must all rec letters be from GI attendings from residency who have observed me clinically? (Also, must ALL 3-4 letters be from GI docs?)

Thanks for any advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Would it be acceptable/recommended to have one of my rec letters be written by a med school research adviser, if I had done published research with him and he is a prominent GI doc? Or must all rec letters be from GI attendings from residency who have observed me clinically? (Also, must ALL 3-4 letters be from GI docs?)

Thanks for any advice!

You should definitely get a letter from your research advisor. Research plays a big role in getting a fellowship. Ask him to focus on your potential as a future research geek. Can't really answer your other questions with any confidence but, for what its worth, I used a mixture of GI and non-GI staff for my letters and that worked.

Thanks very much for your advice, Gastropathy! Its quite difficult to make GI contacts for rec letters and to do research during internship, hard to believe I have to apply in just a few months! Guess thats why so many folks now apply as R3s.