GI fellowship applications for 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Was wondering if anyone have any ideas about these programs , how competitive are these for an average IMG ?

1. Emory University Program, Atlanta, GA
2. Wayne State University/Detroit Medical Center Program, Detroit, MI
3. Albany Medical Center Program, Albany, NY
4. University at Buffalo Program, Buffalo, NY
5. Ohio State University Hospital Program, Columbus, OH
6. Wright State University Program, Dayton, OH
7. University of Tennessee Program, Memphis, TN
8. Baylor University Medical Center Program, Dallas, TX
9. University of Texas at Houston Program, Houston, TX
10. University of Wisconsin Program, Madison, WI

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all, I wanted to use this thread to discuss on GI applications for 2009. I am from east coast and applied mostly to East Coast programs with the count at 45. I am an IMG but an US Citizen with 1 research publication and 3 poster presentations.
How about others? Is there a separate thread for the 2009 applications?

thought I'd say hello.. my first post here and I am an AMG in the midwest applying to between 40-50 programs. Haven't applied yet but got the application complete.. waiting for ERAS doc office to finish uploading the MSPE (deans letter) / transcript / photo. Can we still apply to the programs while they are taking their own sweet time to upload the docs?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi treitzdr, You can apply. I think programs keep downloading and once everything is ready with your application they will review. Sometimes they review even before everything is uploaded so that they can start screening. Some of the programs told me that they keep downloading until their deadlines and reached and then would review. So, it all depends on each program. Do you have any research background?

Thanks for the reply. Submitted to some programs today for a trial run.. will finalize more today. Yes, I have couple of publications and three projects right now, one which missed the DDW deadline unfortunately. Oh well.

Is it necessary to submit the MSPE and med school transcript to all programs even if they do not mention the requirement on their webpage?

It wouldn't harm is providing your MPSE to all programs.

is there a new thread for GI fellowships appliants for the year 2009? or is this thread just dead?

seems to be dead. the interview thread two years ago was only one page.
Have you heard anything so far about invites?

there is no progress yet. i think programs wii start reviewing in the begining of jan

No interviews yet.
Anxiously waiting!!!

as gi2008aspirant mentioned, the floodgates will likely open after the holidays.

Any of you have input on or are applying to Case Western Reserve - little emphasis on research per their webpage..

Any of you have input on or are applying to Case Western Reserve - little emphasis on research per their webpage..
Going by last year's response, expect to start hearing by mid Jan up until even October, if they are not going through the match. I actually had an interview invite in October from a program I had applied in Dec last year !!
I did not apply to Case Western.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all....just submitted by ERAS application today!! TOO LATE? Anyways, ended up applying to 73 (YES, 73!!) places...wallet feelin' a whole lot lighter!! Well..family already knows not 2 expect Christmas gifts this year! :laugh::laugh: HOw much do programs look at Board scores and such? Programs are also stating they prefer step 3 scores too? Is that right? Have you guys taken your step 3 already?

AHHH!!! :confused::confused: So many questions....now the pain in the ass waiting game begins!!

Good luck people!

See ya in the forum

nah I don't think you're "too late" .. seems the PDs will not really review them til after New Years anyway. I haven't seen any programs require step 3 for the application process. Just took my step 3 earlier this week.. piece of cake compared to the previous steps. The CCS was actually very fun given that we are internal medicine folks and working up patients is our game. good luck folks.

When applying to fellowships, namely GI, do they look closely, screen and/or evaluate based on Step scores from medical school (assuming you one attended a US med school)??

Thanks
Blue

When applying to fellowships, namely GI, do they look closely, screen and/or evaluate based on Step scores from medical school (assuming you one attended a US med school)??

Thanks
Blue

I'm sure with the competition, GI PDs will use step scores. Some places explicitly say that applications have an average of >200 on steps 1/2.(Baylor Houston and U.colorado) ... i.e. do not bother if you do not have that. That's my 2c.

Hi there! Does anyone receive call during this post-Christmas holiday? I am waiting for calling since Dec 1st. I see that there were many calls for other specialties.

As far as I know that U Conn has already selected their fellow since they used out-of-match.

BTW, an old question “what does the fellowship committee look for?” the residency program that you came from? Or research? Or publications? Or recommendation letters? Or USMLE scores? Or the medial school you graduated?

Hi there! Does anyone receive call during this post-Christmas holiday? I am waiting for calling since Dec 1st. I see that there were many calls for other specialties.

As far as I know that U Conn has already selected their fellow since they used out-of-match.

BTW, an old question “what does the fellowship committee look for?” the residency program that you came from? Or research? Or publications? Or recommendation letters? Or USMLE scores? Or the medial school you graduated?

check this out: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=9489&d=1198796965

it'll tell you what fellowship PDs are looking for. good luck.

Hey....nice link to the article....had some good insight into fellowships and the type of guidance we get in residencies....

THANKS!

Going by last year's response, expect to start hearing by mid Jan up until even October, if they are not going through the match. I actually had an interview invite in October from a program I had applied in Dec last year !!
I did not apply to Case Western.

I hope u r doing well this year. I know that u r a hepatologist. I am sure this match will be better for you. I wanted to ask u about the NIH hepatology fellowship. Do u think it will be helpful to get GI fellowship ? is it too competitive to get? Do you think doing research is better? I know that their fellows have done extremely well in the past? Any idea? advice?

Hey all. Just joining the conversation, but wanted to start the buzz. I got an offer from Yale today. The gates have opened!

Hey all. Just joining the conversation, but wanted to start the buzz. I got an offer from Yale today. The gates have opened!

congrats! Yale wasn't on my list. When did you send your application in?

no interviews, no rejections so far. anyone else?

I am very anxious. It has been silent so far from every program. I thought that there may be flood of either rejection or interview after holiday. However, it is still quite.

Congratulation to FutureGIDoc06! I also applied Yale. But, I did receive any call from them. It seemed that I was rejected since they already sent out invitation.

Anyone has any news, please let us know!

Hey all. I haven't heard about anyone being rejected. Do they send formal rejections? I only mention this to help everyone gauge...I got another interview at NYU yesterday.

I think some programs are opening the gates, but on the whole it's rather quiet out there from what I gather, so keep your heads up. Next week may bring great news! In talking to someone just today, apparently, it's still very early to hear from GI programs. Best of luck all!

Thanks very much for FutureGIDoc06 nice words. I meant that I was assuming that I was rejected by Yale since I did not receive any response from them.

Anyway, congratulation to FutureGIDoc06 again for NYU interview. If I did not make mistake, FutureGIDoc06 already received two calls.

I understand different specialty program has different schedule, but I saw a lot of interviews from other specialty. Therefore, I am little anxious.

Dear all,

I can add that
1. Scott and White
2. U of Florida
3. Louisville

have all sent out invitations to my collegues at BCM...

Can someone pl clarify....Many programs for GI fellowships for 2009-2010 are accepting applications beginning sep 2008??....does that mean a new application will be required when these programs open?
I would really appreciate some input.
I am sending in my application now
Thanks

Dear all,

I can add that
1. Scott and White
2. U of Florida
3. Louisville

have all sent out invitations to my collegues at BCM...

Any news today? I still have nothing (no interview and no rejection). Anyone has news from UVA?

Hi, there, it is still quiet for me. How you guys got anything yet? I think this is week is critical.

A applied and matched last year. It's still very early. I think the "peak" of the interview invitations was probably late January through mid Feb but I was getting invites into April. Don't fret yet!

:thumbup:, thanks, Ileus.

has anyone got rejection or invitation, if we share the information , it may guide us in a right direction in terms of what to expect.

New to the discussion, but thought I'd add to the conversation.

I've also heard from Louisville and Florida (Gainesville) as well as Indiana and South Florida.

Good luck to everyone. It definitely helps to hear what programs are offering and when.

A buddy of mine has heard from Yale, Penn. Another from MGH.

As a heads up, apparently many of these programs have "secondaries." Hopkins and some others want a lot more information, or redudant information from ERAS.

-S

Nothing for me yet. Applied in 65 programs, mostly the ones with more than 2 positions. I am a IMG US citizen. Does anyone know the chances of an IMG? What do programs look for? I hope to get few interviews calls. Any help is appreciated.

Goodluck

Hey all...haven't heard anything yet...applied to 77 programs! Still some programs haven't even downloaded applications yet (8 programs) even thought I submitted them in December 20th....

Got a phone call from one place not participating in ERAS and they stated that the PD will be evaluating this and next week for potential candidates for interviews....U of Kansas stated that they review until end of January and send out interviews by mid-feb...

As nervous as I am, I think the majority of the interview offers will be in mid jan to mid feb with interviews in mid feb til late may...just a hunch though....

also, got a couple of generic emails sent to all applicants in the mailbox...think I went into afib when I saw the mailbox in red, just to have the letdown of knowing that they were generic emails....

****If you guys have any input as to how many people a particular place interviews, please let us know******

I'll start....

U of Kansas: interview approx 30 applicants for looks like 3 positions

Medlaw06, thanks for your info.

I feel I am in the dark, alone, and anxiously searching for any light. I am sure many applicants are also constipated..just like us, but not making any sound (passing gas):sleep::sleep:. I hope more will join us.

Last year this thread was much more active. Come one, let's hear more...:smuggrin:

I heard from a couple over the last couple of days

1. Baylor College of Medicine (my home program)
2. Duke

that's what I know for now...

Interviews offered: but I wouldn't sweat it because I called some programs and some say they offer interviews in batches, so they haven't gone through all the applications yet. Also, most interviews will be offered in the next couple weeks...;)

1. Boston University
2. UVA

I am so disappointed! Are you who received call for interview AMG or IMG? I am IMG. I have not heard anything so far.

For GIJOES, you mentioned that you called several programs and was told they offered interviews in batches. Does it include UVA? I also applied UVA.

I am so disappointed! Are you who received call for interview AMG or IMG? I am IMG. I have not heard anything so far.

For GIJOES, you mentioned that you called several programs and was told they offered interviews in batches. Does it include UVA? I also applied UVA.

Sorry to disappoint you, but don't get discouraged, it is still way too early in the interview season and many programs need to go through the stacks of applications. I am an AMG and did not receive calls, but rather invites through email...good luck to you GIfan:)

Hey guys...did you guys submit a photo?

I haven't....just curious....

Hey guys...did you guys submit a photo?

I haven't....just curious....

You probably should send your picture in, because if programs invite you for an interview, they need it for identification purposes...otherwise, anyone can interview in your place and they would never know if you are who you say you are.

I called one program and was told that they were still reviewing the application. The interviews were sent in batches. They have different tracks (clinician track and research track). So far, they have not reviewed research track. They only sent out interview for clinician track. Therefore, I think that we may still have to wait (even though it is truly painful).

Summary of Interview Offers...based on previous threads, personal and friends receiving interviews.

Note: This is not to say that these programs have offered all their interviews, they might be offering more after they go through the rest of their batches. Also, much more programs will offer interviews once their deadlines for applications ends...usually by the end of Jan.

1. MGH
2. Penn
3. Yale
4. Duke
5. Baylor
6. UT Houston
7. Univ of Florida
8. South Florida
9. UVA
10. Indiana
11. NYU
12. BU
13. Louisville
14. Scott and White

Hello,
I am also joining you to have fun till the end of June.:thumbup:
Well can we all post our dates of application submission just to figure out who gets any reply from a program so that we can compare when to expect a reply.(the earlier u apply the earlier ur application will be reviewed)
Congratulations to all of u who got early interviews invitation.:)

submitted on two different dates
to first group of programs on 12/01/07
and to Second group of programs on 12/26/07