GI Fellowship Interview Advice Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

steelblue89

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
As was discussed in the main GI application thread, let’s use this area to discuss interview advice, common questions, helpful links, interview formats, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Interviews vary from place to place (University vs Community).

1) Be prepared for the common questions, and know your CV and PS very well.
- Any question is fair (Is like residency interview), Tell me about your self, why this program, your future plan......

Some or many programs will emphasize the research you have done and how their institution can help/mentor you for future research.

2) Read the website, study the programs history and where or what the graduates from there are doing now (Do they go into academic, private, ASC....)

3) Research track are different and they truly want someone who is both good at basic and clinical research, and to help with grants and future research outcomes (so for these see the grants they have gotten before or currently have)

4) Be your self and see if you can be a fit in the program and how the program will help you reach your future goals (is it Advance, Transplant, IBD, Motility, Private practice, group practice, Academic, research you want after graduation...)

5) Have questions that are real ( for instance if a program rotates in two or three hospitals -- ask if you will be doing admin work or observing or actually doing procedures).

6) Try to see who would be a good mentor for you when you match there

You will most likely be interviewed by (if not all) the PD, the Chief, 3 or 4 attendings and a couple of fellows. Many will ask the same questions, but again each hospital or program has their own way or style of asking you questions to try to understand your goals and if you are good fit for the program.

KNOW THE PROGRAM and most importantly be your self.

Reactions: 5 users
Interviews vary from place to place (University vs Community).

1) Be prepared for the common questions, and know your CV and PS very well.
- Any question is fair (Is like residency interview), Tell me about your self, why this program, your future plan......

Some or many programs will emphasize the research you have done and how their institution can help/mentor you for future research.

2) Read the website, study the programs history and where or what the graduates from there are doing now (Do they go into academic, private, ASC....)

3) Research track are different and they truly want someone who is both good at basic and clinical research, and to help with grants and future research outcomes (so for these see the grants they have gotten before or currently have)

4) Be your self and see if you can be a fit in the program and how the program will help you reach your future goals (is it Advance, Transplant, IBD, Motility, Private practice, group practice, Academic, research you want after graduation...)

5) Have questions that are real ( for instance if a program rotates in two or three hospitals -- ask if you will be doing admin work or observing or actually doing procedures).

6) Try to see who would be a good mentor for you when you match there

You will most likely be interviewed by (if not all) the PD, the Chief, 3 or 4 attendings and a couple of fellows. Many will ask the same questions, but again each hospital or program has their own way or style of asking you questions to try to understand your goals and if you are good fit for the program.

KNOW THE PROGRAM and most importantly be your self.

Very well put. Being a well-spoken and nice, but truly honest version of yourself is the best thing you can do. The moment you come off as fake (pretending you want to be in academics/research if you really don't, pretending you want to live in an area that you really don't, etc.), you have basically ruined your interview.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
does it mean anything if some of the faculty(including Ass PD)with whom you interviewed say, I hope to see you in July!

does it mean anything if some of the faculty(including Ass PD)with whom you interviewed say, I hope to see you in July!

My advice:

Don't change how you would rank that program regardless.

Reactions: 2 users
Is it common to hear during interview that "we would be lucky to have you with us".

Is it reassuring or something common said to all the candidates ?

It's all puffery and pleasantries until you actually match.

Reactions: 3 users

Well that part doesn't sound promising.

Reactions: 1 users
Is it common to hear during interview that "we would be lucky to have you with us".

Is it reassuring or something common said to all the candidates ?
programs use this strategy to keep secondary candidates(candidates outside of top 10, but not too low) interested and have them rank their program high so that the rank order does not slide a lot if first choice candidates dont rank that program high

Reactions: 2 users
I have an interview in research track. Does anyone with experience in research track can help me with type of questions they ask and what are they looking for in a candidate?
Any advice is appreciate.

Thanks

What are everyone's thought about expressing to a program that you will be ranking them #1. I had a good interview with a PD where he told me that I should consider ranking them very highly. I will obviously take that comment with a grain of salt, but I essentially sent him a thank you e-mail saying that I would rank them #1...I have no received a response yet. Would it be worth it to send another e-mail prior to making my match list?

Members don't see this ad :)
What are everyone's thought about expressing to a program that you will be ranking them #1. I had a good interview with a PD where he told me that I should consider ranking them very highly. I will obviously take that comment with a grain of salt, but I essentially sent him a thank you e-mail saying that I would rank them #1...I have no received a response yet. Would it be worth it to send another e-mail prior to making my match list?
Nothing wrong with that as long as you’re honest. If you lie and go somewhere else it really may hurt you later in a way that makes it not worth it.

Be genuine, don't want to burn bridges. I would have worded it "extremely high on my list" to give me wiggle room.

Regardless, people can change thier minds and you need to look out for yourself

Be genuine, don't want to burn bridges. I would have worded it "extremely high on my list" to give me wiggle room.

Regardless, people can change thier minds and you need to look out for yourself
Thanks for the advice. Would sending another e-mail prior to submitting my list be appropriate?

Hi guys!

I am a 3rd year IM resident planning to apply to GI next year. These are my credentials, do you think i have a good chance matching?
J1 visa, USMLE step 1 248, Step 2 259 and pass step 3. In a mid tier big university program, will be chief resident next year. I have 2 pubmed publications and 3 abstracts.

General interview/application advice: even if you are from a top tier residency make sure you accept interview invitations at less competitive places to increase your chances of successfully matching. You would be surprised that even candidates from big name places don't match, possibly due to this reason.

Hi guys!

I am a 3rd year IM resident planning to apply to GI next year. These are my credentials, do you think i have a good chance matching?
J1 visa, USMLE step 1 248, Step 2 259 and pass step 3. In a mid tier big university program, will be chief resident next year. I have 2 pubmed publications and 3 abstracts.

If you’re an AMG you shouldn’t have any trouble matching.

Reactions: 1 users
Generally, but not universally true. I have had a couple of PMs this week from people (neither of them @steelblue89) who were AMGs w/ good appearing apps who didn't match with >15 interviews. YMMV of course, but I wouldn't be so cavalier about this.

Generally, but not universally true. I have had a couple of PMs this week from people (neither of them @steelblue89) who were AMGs w/ good appearing apps who didn't match with >15 interviews. YMMV of course, but I wouldn't be so cavalier about this.
I'm not at a top tier residency program but luckily I matched, my post was regarding friends/colleagues at more well known residencies who didn't.

Hi guys!

If you were an AMG I would say your chances are good.

You did mention you would need a J1, so I am going to go ahead and suppose you are likely an IMG. That being said I would say your chances are reduced but certainly not prohibitive.

Good luck.

Not true. 3 AMGs at my institute did not match into GI this year. They might not have applied broadly but the idea that GI is guaranteed to AMGs is not true.

Not true. 3 AMGs at my institute did not match into GI this year. They might not have applied broadly but the idea that GI is guaranteed to AMGs is not true.

Agreed definitely not a guarantee. But If OP were an AMG with the credentials they listed, mutilple publicAtions, chief year, good scores, and also applied broadly I imagine his/her chances of a match would be quite high.

If you we re an AMG I would say your chances are good.

You did mention you would need a J1, so I am going to go ahead and suppose you are likely an IMG. That being said I would say your chances are reduced but certainly not prohibitive.

Good luck.

Thank you for your advice. Yes, I am an IMG on a J1 visa with above credentials, in addition to 2 QI projects. My letters will be from my program's faculty (GI/chair..etc). Any advice for upcoming match?

Thank you for your advice. Yes, I am an IMG on a J1 visa with above credentials, in addition to 2 QI projects. My letters will be from my program's faculty (GI/chair..etc). Any advice for upcoming match?

Apply as broadly as possible. In quantity and quality. ERAS will take your money and it will hurt but that is a necessary sacrifice. Apply to every single program if possible. You will need a good mix of 'unattainable' 'high level' 'mid tier' and 'low tier' programs. There needs to be university and community programs in the mix. The more diverse the better.

Be proactive
Get your mentors to reach out to thier contacts to bring as much attention as possible to your application in hopes of generating invites. You will get passive invites strictly based on your credentials but drumming up even more invites is always a plus. Don't underestimate this

Accept any and all invites to interview. Cancel smart.
You will likely be faced with the situation where you have conflicting interview days. Try to get those days switched via this forum or through the program coordinator. If all else fails, strategize on which program to cancel. Some programs have only one to two spots and favor internals vs large program with 5 spots. Do the math and cancel the right one.

Rank all programs in your ROL.
I've seen some AMG applicants get cocky and fall flat on their faces because they thought they wouldn't go too far down thier list and ended up not matching. As an IMG you can't risk it. Rank any place you interviewed

That's some general advice. Hope it helps

Apply as broadly as possible. In quantity and quality. ERAS will take your money and it will hurt but that is a necessary sacrifice. Apply to every single program if possible. You will need a good mix of 'unattainable' 'high level' 'mid tier' and 'low tier' programs. There needs to be university and community programs in the mix. The more diverse the better.

Be proactive
Get your mentors to reach out to thier contacts to bring as much attention as possible to your application in hopes of generating invites. You will get passive invites strictly based on your credentials but drumming up even more invites is always a plus. Don't underestimate this

Accept any and all invites to interview. Cancel smart.
You will likely be faced with the situation where you have conflicting interview days. Try to get those days switched via this forum or through the program coordinator. If all else fails, strategize on which program to cancel. Some programs have only one to two spots and favor internals vs large program with 5 spots. Do the math and cancel the right one.

Rank all programs in your ROL.
I've seen some AMG applicants get cocky and fall flat on their faces because they thought they wouldn't go too far down thier list and ended up not matching. As an IMG you can't risk it. Rank any place you interviewed

That's some general advice. Hope it helps
Thank you so much! I appreciate your advice