GI Fellowships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mdegra

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I haven't seen any threads just on GI fellowships, so I thought I'd start one. I've seen the top fellowships in the US News and World Report, but I wanted to get a fellow/resident view on the best fellowships out there. Also, for you fellows or residents hoping to be fellows, what is your opinion on the future of GI? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Beside the U.S. World and Report, I'd also check the NIH funding ranking for the department and the size of the GI dept. The future of GI is excellent. GI continue to rate the best IM subspeciality in terms of job security, job flexability, physician satisfaction rate, and compensation.

I'm interested in GI too (as well as primary care); seems like a great choice to me! I have worked closely with fellows in only 1 department as a 4th year so far, but can tell you that the GI fellows at Lahey Clinic Medical Center are outstanding, and most of the attendings are incredibly dedicating to teaching and patient care. Everyone has a great attitude, and the service is very busy and well respected in the northeast. the only downsides I can think of to this program are that it's not a research powerhouse and the location is utterly suburban (which can be boring depending on your likes, dislikes.).2 new fellows a year enter the program; this year's fellows (6 in total) are residency graduates of Lahey (x2), BIDMC, Mt. Auburn, GWU, and Mayo, and med school grads or U Conn, UC Davis, Indiana, U Mass, GWU, and UVM, if that is of any help or interest. Oh yeah, BIDMC's GI program has gotten rave reviews too, but I don't know much about it other than that.

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed at Lahey for GI last year. Although it is not the best program in the city, I would agree that it is a great program. The co-directors there are young, but very nice and full of energy. Dr. Heller I believe was the director I met. They have a good hepatology experience because of the BID liver transplant attendings that migrated there. Consequently, they do the most liver transplants in the area (more than MGH, NEMC, BU.) Do you know if last year's application cycle for GI (for class of 2005) succesfully matched the Lahey residents to the 2 spots? Both Lahey applicants were former Tufts grads. Traditionally 1 goes to a Lahey resident and 1 goes to an outsider.

irlandesa said:
I'm interested in GI too (as well as primary care); seems like a great choice to me! I have worked closely with fellows in only 1 department as a 4th year so far, but can tell you that the GI fellows at Lahey Clinic Medical Center are outstanding, and most of the attendings are incredibly dedicating to teaching and patient care. Everyone has a great attitude, and the service is very busy and well respected in the northeast. the only downsides I can think of to this program are that it's not a research powerhouse and the location is utterly suburban (which can be boring depending on your likes, dislikes.).2 new fellows a year enter the program; this year's fellows (6 in total) are residency graduates of Lahey (x2), BIDMC, Mt. Auburn, GWU, and Mayo, and med school grads or U Conn, UC Davis, Indiana, U Mass, GWU, and UVM, if that is of any help or interest. Oh yeah, BIDMC's GI program has gotten rave reviews too, but I don't know much about it other than that.

I don't know about the 2 fellows coming in for class of 2005, but neither of this year's 2 entering fellows were from Lahey, one was from BIDMC, the other from Mayo. I don't know if Dr. Heller is still the fellowship director, but he is really friendly and wicked smart, I like him. Drs. Obando, Heiss, Shea, and Warner are also great to work with! Lahey really seems to like locals; nearly all the fellows have roots in New England or did their residency in this area. Probably the nicest bunch of people I worked with all year, though the BWH/Faulkner residents are a very, very close second..