GI market in NYC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BTrink

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a current GI fellow in the midwest, and I'll be looking for a permanent position in NYC next year to settle close to family. Is anyone familiar with how challenging it is to get a GI position in NYC, both academics and/or private practice? I do not have additional advanced endoscopy training. I'm committed to the area, but nervous that the market could be tight.

Thanks for any insight you can all provide!
-B

Members don't see this ad.

bump!

anyone know is market is completly saturated? I assume not, and if someone could throughout ballpark salary #'s for academic vs private GI doc, starting and avg salaries...thanks! (NYC only please!)

Members don't see this ad :)
I did residency in Manhattan, the GI guys in private practice did fairly well, but the market is beyond saturated. There are a lot of teaching programs in Manhattan alone (Sinai, NYU, Cornell, Beth Israel/St Lukes Roosevelt, Columbia, Metropolitan) not to mention the outer boro programs like SUNY Downstate and Einstein, plus not far away you have LIJ, NYMC, or NJMS across the Hudson. Then of course there are a ton of private guys. Having grown up in the NYC suburbs and trained in manhattan, I'd say its a great place to train, but I wouldn't want to practice there - in private practice overhead is enormous, the market is saturated, and your cost of living is about the highest in the country (SF has higher housing costs, by NYC is higher everything else), not even getting into the fact that you have NY state and NYC income tax.If you're just looking to be in the area, would strongly consider expanding your radius about 15-20 miles outside the city proper; you'll then be looking at Westchester, LI, and NJ which will have much lower costs of living. I'll probably be headed back east from fellowship next year, probably headed to NJ.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the post, always wondered about this.

I know for Cardiology some of them have to practice Internal Medicine to just keep their doors open. Is this true for GI? What are the salary and average hours like for jobs in Manhattan vs 15-20 miles outside? Also, I have heard that the top academic places for GI are very selective and pay particularly low, is this true?

It all depends on the practice, the number of procedures and patients per day, wRVU, RVU, Bonuses (Quality and Incentives) and partnership.
I have seen some pretty good numbers in Manhattan area and near NYC like 20 minutes drive away. I don't like posting figures but in terms of MGMA close to 85-90%.

Reactions: 1 users
Wanted to see if I could necro this thread.

Same question, have strong family ties in NY, moving there for fellowship. Happy to work outside the city, even commute up to 1hr north/northeast if need be.

Wanted to see if I could necro this thread.

Same question, have strong family ties in NY, moving there for fellowship. Happy to work outside the city, even commute up to 1hr north/northeast if need be.
1 hour around in any direction is a fair game... NY in itself I'd rather not... tons of pvt guys ...only a handful of them have been particularly successful financially ...rest are scraping by... also if someone is advance trained , there are hardly any good avenues...

1 hour around in any direction is a fair game... NY in itself I'd rather not... tons of pvt guys ...only a handful of them have been particularly successful financially ...rest are scraping by... also if someone is advance trained , there are hardly any good avenues...
Thanks for the info.

I'm willing to do affiliate, employed or academics depending on my career progression, not sure at this point. I'm sure the market is tight, I hope going to an NYC fellowship will be helpful.

Won't be living in NYC for fellowship (too pricey, got used to more room elsewhere), but staying nearby is important to me.

Thanks for the info.

I'm willing to do affiliate, employed or academics depending on my career progression, not sure at this point. I'm sure the market is tight, I hope going to an NYC fellowship will be helpful.

Won't be living in NYC for fellowship (too pricey, got used to more room elsewhere), but staying nearby is important to me.
Incomes elsewhere are 600+ .. And they give you red carpet welcome ,kiss your ring etc...because , There is a major shortage of GI. however in nyc things are different and you ll be paid half what you deserve and treated not as great..

Reactions: 1 users
expect 225-250k in the city and around 400k in the 30-45 min radius. you go into poconos/hamptons/bear mountain area and you are talking 500+

Reactions: 1 user
Incomes elsewhere are 600+ .. And they give you red carpet welcome ,kiss your ring etc...because , There is a major shortage of GI. however in nyc things are different and you ll be paid half what you deserve and treated not as great..

expect 225-250k in the city and around 400k in the 30-45 min radius. you go into poconos/hamptons/bear mountain area and you are talking 500+

Sadly saw very early that medicine in NYC/Boston/etc just doesn't equate to reimbursement elsewhere. However, the needs of my spouse in her career and that of my family outweigh reimbursement.

Hudson Valley is a realistic possibility, as is northern Westchester or near CT.

Hamptons GI sounds like an excellent concierge opportunity.

Good info thank you both!