Gift idea for new anesthesiology resident?? (HELP, I'm not a doctor)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docinthefamily

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So a family member of mine is graduating from med school next month and has been accepted into a top rated anesthesiology residency. I want to get him a nice gift, and I was thinking of something along the lines of an engraved stethoscope.

The problem is I have no idea what kind of stethoscope to get him. There are so many different varieties.

I saw this page:
http://www.stethoscope.com/index.cfm?event=CatDisplay&CategoryID=14

But I don't know which to get him. Do you anesthesiologists use a certain kind? If one of you folks would be kind enough to help me out, that would be great. I appreciate it. :)

Members don't see this ad.

A better gift would be an xbox 360 or a PS3...

If you had to pick, find out what kind of stethoscope they have now, and then get either the same one engraved, or one thats slightly better engraved.

So a family member of mine is graduating from med school next month and has been accepted into a top rated anesthesiology residency. I want to get him a nice gift, and I was thinking of something along the lines of an engraved stethoscope.

The problem is I have no idea what kind of stethoscope to get him. There are so many different varieties.

I saw this page:
http://www.stethoscope.com/index.cfm?event=CatDisplay&CategoryID=14

But I don't know which to get him. Do you anesthesiologists use a certain kind? If one of you folks would be kind enough to help me out, that would be great. I appreciate it. :)

Great thoughts, but here is the reality.

a) hdtv
b) money
c) ruths' chris gift card
d) offer to help with moving costs, vacation, rent, etc (directed money)

Stethoscopes during intern year get vomit, blood, feces, urine, and more on them. Littman's rock, but as a "nice gift", especially in light of their existing steth, I would say go for something more practical.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't use my personal stethoscope anymore for the very reason that it's too nice to use in the OR, where it could easily get misplaced, stolen, and soiled by the various bodily fluids we're barraged with daily. Most hospitals have cheapo ones for us to use if/when we feel like we need to use one.

Agree with the above posters, give something more practical. My parents got us patio furniture, which I'm enjoying right now out on our sunny deck. :cool:

iPod with a speaker system would be a great present for an anesthsiologist, if they dont already have one. It is fun, and can be used in the OR and home.