Gift Ideas for 1st Year Student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aphil02

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
One of the female staff at our firm is leaving to attend medical school in California and I'm looking for an appropriate farewell gift. Since most of our younger staff go on to law or business school, typical gifts are leather portfolios or similar -- but I don't think that would be a practical a gift for a medical student.

Any ideas for gifts around $150? My backup plan is a caduceus pen from Tiffany, but something useful would be better.

Since I'm not in med school, I have no idea what comes in handy...

Members don't see this ad.

One of the female staff at our firm is leaving to attend medical school in California and I'm looking for an appropriate farewell gift. Since most of our younger staff go on to law or business school, typical gifts are leather portfolios or similar -- but I don't think that would be a practical a gift for a medical student.

Any ideas for gifts around $150? My backup plan is a caduceus pen from Tiffany, but something useful would be better.

how about a nice stethoscope? http://www.allheart.com/ has a nice discount...the Littmann seems to be popular...good luck :)

Members don't see this ad :)
get her a nice coffee brewing system. whether or not she likes coffee, she'll be drinking it on a regular basis anyway. she'll save money on starbucks too. :thumbup:

Reactions: 1 user

I thought the caduceus was the same as the rod of Asclepius. Oh well...

A caduceus (/kəˈduːsiəs/, -ʃəs, -ˈdjuː-; kerykeion in Greek is a (sometimes) winged staff with two snakes wrapped around it. It was an ancient astrological symbol of commerce and is associated with the Greek god Hermes, the messenger for the gods, conductor of the dead and protector of merchants and thieves. It was originally a herald's staff, sometimes with wings, with two white ribbons attached. The ribbons eventually evolved into snakes. It is sometimes mistakenly used as a symbol for medicine, by those confusing it with the rod of Asclepius, which features only a single snake and no wings.

My school gave us a stethoscope for free, so I'd hold off on that one. Actually I'd hold off on any medical equipment types of things. A nice coffeemaker coupled with a good portable mug might work. I'm drawing a blank, too -- it's hard especially if you don't know what she has.

Here are my first year essentials --
1. nice, insulated coffee mugs
2. nalgene style water bottles
3. a good backpack

That's about it.

Would a gift certificate be horribly inappropriate? I know some people think they're horrible and all. The thing about being a student, though, is that you're broke and extra money for entertainment or decoration always works. I would have loved to have gotten a gift certificate for target, pier 1, starbucks, panera, movie tickets, etc.

My co-workers gave me a gift card for the med school's bookstore. I did find it helpful, though a gift certificate to abebooks.com might be a better value. Of course, since my colleagues were library staff, it wasn't any kind of $150. I'm glad you're sending your colleague off in style!

Would a gift certificate be horribly inappropriate? I know some people think they're horrible and all. The thing about being a student, though, is that you're broke and extra money for entertainment or decoration always works. I would have loved to have gotten a gift certificate for target, pier 1, starbucks, panera, movie tickets, etc.

Or a gift certificate for a really good shoulder massage at a local spa.... Hunching over books (or, more often, hunching over while staring at a computer screen) can take a toll on your upper back.

I love my cappucino maker and it saves me a TON of money. A Littmann cardiology stethoscope is always nice. I use amazon.com to buy books ALL the time, so a gift certificate would be nice. I second (third) the really good insulated coffee mugs - I have three and I use them often. This is probably too personal for the original poster, but if there are any parents or significant others looking for ideas on here - I was so glad I invested in high thread count sheets, a down comforter, and down pillows before med school - makes my bed a haven from med school stress.

My school gave us a stethoscope for free, so I'd hold off on that one. Actually I'd hold off on any medical equipment types of things. A nice coffeemaker coupled with a good portable mug might work. I'm drawing a blank, too -- it's hard especially if you don't know what she has.

Here are my first year essentials --
1. nice, insulated coffee mugs
2. nalgene style water bottles
3. a good backpack

That's about it.

Not everyone drinks coffee... I can't stand the stuff. I survive on tea. Travel mugs are awesome, especially the Oxo no spill type.

Gift certificates are great... like to REI or something. I've bought so much stuff there since I started med school -- 2 back packs -- and random stuff for recreation.

Members don't see this ad :)
My school gave us a stethoscope for free, so I'd hold off on that one. Actually I'd hold off on any medical equipment types of things.

i still think a stethoscope is a great idea...my PI bought me a Littman Cardio III, which is around the price range the OP is asking, much nicer than anything you'll get for free at school, and for me has great sentimental value. the rest of my lab chipped in and bought me a bunch of medical equipment (you may not want to do this though...my lab is mostly clinicians and they knew what to get). i also like the idea of gift certificate for books, esp given your price range, OP

My co-workers gave me a gift card for the med school's bookstore. I did find it helpful, though a gift certificate to abebooks.com might be a better value. Of course, since my colleagues were library staff, it wasn't any kind of $150. I'm glad you're sending your colleague off in style!
Same here. That was a great gift, and got me more than a semester's worth of books and supplies.

one of those american express giftcards

If you're gonna go with a coffee maker, I suggest getting one of those "pod systems". They're much easier, quicker, and cleaner than making a whole pot of coffee. It helped me a lot this year, especially since I leave the apartment at the last possible minute.

I received a sweatshirt with my school logo on it as a gift following my acceptance to med. school. I thought this was a great idea; I really appreciated the gift.

Maybe a gift card from amazon, BN, or starbucks??

My vote is for the littman cardiology stethoscope...that's the kind of gift you'll open and say "wow, THANKS" and mean it.

My vote is for the littman cardiology stethoscope...that's the kind of gift you'll open and say "wow, THANKS" and mean it.

And I will add to have their name put on it... go ahead and put such and such, MD.

They might catch some flack from friends in medical school, but they very well could have those same ears for 20 years. All the other gifts mentioned are small and appreciated, but lets face it that GC and the such are kind of meaningless....

Just my .02

and i absolutely did...i also got stopped by many students and profs on the way to my car, telling me what a fabulous and generous gift I just received (i myself really don't know the diff yet b/w a cardio III and any other :laugh:)

Tiffany pen is superb, it might become a really significant gift in case that person is sentimental enough, I personally would appreciate such a gift. The type of a gift also depends on the personality, his hobbies, tastes, etc. I am very geeky and I was gifted with a remote control toy on my Birthday, and all of my friends know I want a drone on the next one huh. Drone might become a great present for both techno and creative guys, as they usually allow to film not bad HD movies from the highest points above the ground. Modern quadcopters (The 10 Best Drones Reviews in 2017 in the Market) can boast with excellent maneuverability, flawless assembly, long time of fly and really good cameras. Just make sure the manufacturer provides with quality products only, don't go for cheap Chinese analogues.

I've noticed that many people have recommended getting her a stethoscope. If you choose to do so, do some research first to make sure that her school does not already provide one. Often times the medical school has a preference and gives incoming students a stethoscope as either a gift or part of their

Edit: Offering to buy her a subscription to Sketchymicro / Pathoma / other medical-school specific studying apps might be a good idea. Those are within your price range

Reactions: 1 user
The person who the gift is for has already completed medical school,6+ pgy years and probably even paid off loans.

Reactions: 6 users
a legit Rx of Xanax with refills to sleep

The person who the gift is for has already completed medical school,6+ pgy years and probably even paid off loans.

probably is burnout by now too with worsening sleep issues

i read all stuff and i appreciate the knowledge you have shared. keep up the good work!