You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Gift for White Coat Ceremony?
Started by ralph_wiggum
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
An accessory for their coat would be appropriate. Price range?
Low range: a USB rechargeable LED flashlight is invaluable. Maybe add a nice pocket ruler (kind of cheap?)
Mid-range: an acoustic stethoscope (Littmann Cardiology or equivalent). Many schools provide an stethoscope to new students, though. Also, a gift subscription to a local gym, but only if it is convenient for them.
High-range: not really needed but a Welch Allyn diagnostic set is nice
Very high range: pocket ultrasound or Dermascope (for a budding Dermatologist)
Some of the above are absurd, but your presence at the ceremony is probably the best gift.
Low range: a USB rechargeable LED flashlight is invaluable. Maybe add a nice pocket ruler (kind of cheap?)
Mid-range: an acoustic stethoscope (Littmann Cardiology or equivalent). Many schools provide an stethoscope to new students, though. Also, a gift subscription to a local gym, but only if it is convenient for them.
High-range: not really needed but a Welch Allyn diagnostic set is nice
Very high range: pocket ultrasound or Dermascope (for a budding Dermatologist)
Some of the above are absurd, but your presence at the ceremony is probably the best gift.
If their school doesn't provide one, a stethoscope is the traditional gift. Littmann 3M cardiology IV is nice, but a Littman classic or MDF cardiology (which is what I used) would be reasonable. Another consideration is a tablet/iPad.
I wouldn't necessarily recommend a Welch Allyn diagnostic set, simply because the vast majority of medical students won't get much use out of it.
I wouldn't necessarily recommend a Welch Allyn diagnostic set, simply because the vast majority of medical students won't get much use out of it.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
No. Why would you bring them a gift?
If their school doesn't provide one, a stethoscope is the traditional gift. Littmann 3M cardiology IV is nice, but a Littman classic or MDF cardiology (which is what I used) would be reasonable. Another consideration is a tablet/iPad.
I wouldn't necessarily recommend a Welch Allyn diagnostic set, simply because the vast majority of medical students won't get much use out of it.
I’d wait on te cardiology IV. They walk off way too easy.
Clarifying, you are an acquaintance of the family of the new student? What's wrong with an Amazon (or similar) gift card?
In my opinion, a gift is very kind but not required.
If you want to get something, I'm in agreement with a gift card. I imagine most medical students would have a stethoscope already, either provided by the school or purchased.
If you want to get something, I'm in agreement with a gift card. I imagine most medical students would have a stethoscope already, either provided by the school or purchased.
Starbucks cardI'm attending a White Coat Ceremony in a couple weeks for someone we're very close to, but not my son/daughter. Should I bring a gift? If so, I'd be very grateful for suggestions.
Very fair.I’d wait on te cardiology IV. They walk off way too easy.
I will just say to OP/general audience that I (granted, as a neurologist) personally consider the MDF line of stethoscopes to be, factoring in cost, superior to Littmann, and no one is going to steal them. Littmanns are a fashion statement.
Since I'm a neurologist, I'd say relatively cost-efficient (and fashion-conscious) tool to be gifted would be a Tromner reflex hammer. They are relatively inexpensive, much superior to whatever cheap plastic thing med students have, and (especially in the alternate colors) look good sticking out of a white coat pocket, even if rarely used.
Kindness and token recognition of the milestone.No. Why would you bring them a gift?
Graduating is a milestone.Kindness and token recognition of the milestone.
The don’t hand out medals at the start of a marathon.
BS. Qualifying for the Boston Marathon is an accomplishment in itself.Graduating is a milestone.
The don’t hand out medals at the start of a marathon.
Might as well argue that graduating med school is not a milestone and only finishing residency is worthy. Families and friends should feel free to celebrate along the way in life.
To each their own.BS. Qualifying for the Boston Marathon is an accomplishment in itself.
Might as well argue that graduating med school is not a milestone and only finishing residency is worthy. Families and friends should feel free to celebrate along the way in life.
Speaking from personal experience the only (and best) gift I got for my white coat was a bunch of pre-prepared frozen meals my grandmother cooked up. Collectively those meals along with my instant pot to cook them will cover dinners for the next 6-8 weeks minimum.
Ofc if you're are not cooking talented many other things to go for, but can't ever go wrong with a gift card. We don't ever have a lot of money at this point in our careers.
Ofc if you're are not cooking talented many other things to go for, but can't ever go wrong with a gift card. We don't ever have a lot of money at this point in our careers.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Similar threads
- Locked
- Replies
- 164
- Views
- 12K