Gifts for M1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UsurptheBigotry

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I have a family member who just began their M1 year at a medical school in the US and I wanted to get them a gift. I was looking for potential idea's for something that would be appropriate or helpful for them. They already have a good stethoscope and backpack so those two are out of the picture. I was thinking about getting one of those Patagonia jackets embroidered with their name, but would it be appropriate to have it say: Dr. Last_Name, MD/DO? Is it appropriate to wear that during medical school? Any and all gift suggestions would be appreciated, thank you all in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
It would be totally inappropriate for an M1 to wear any tag identifying them as “Dr”.
Better gifts for an M1 would be things to make their life easier—maybe restaurant gift certificates, a subscription to one of the test banks, a crockpot or air fryer, etc.

Reactions: 7 users
Gift cards for restaurants around where they live/school, coffee maker, air fryer etc. things that will make life easier. It would be totally inappropriate to get a jacket with Dr. Anything at this point. And your family would know this and most likely put it away for 4 years. So don’t get that. If he’s living in a cold climate the jacket unembroidered might be appreciated.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone,

I have a family member who just began their M1 year at a medical school in the US and I wanted to get them a gift. I was looking for potential idea's for something that would be appropriate or helpful for them. They already have a good stethoscope and backpack so those two are out of the picture. I was thinking about getting one of those Patagonia jackets embroidered with their name, but would it be appropriate to have it say: Dr. Last_Name, MD/DO? Is it appropriate to wear that during medical school? Any and all gift suggestions would be appreciated, thank you all in advance!
An air fryer and an instapot. Damn things can cook almost anything!

Restaurant Gift cards would great; ditto for Starbucks. I can't tell you how many of my students I've encountered in the local Starbucks; laptops out and Powerpoint on.

Reactions: 4 users
Instacart subscription
Food delivery gift cards

Reactions: 2 users
Air fryer, instapot, nespresso machine, Starbucks gift cards, AirPods, cash, gym membership

Reactions: 3 users
My friends and family got me a Keurig, a huge assortment of different flavors of k-cups, slow cooker, other household items, helped me move, and set-up an apartment wish-list so that they'll know what to get me for Christmas, birthdays, etc.

It was great getting the gifts, but honestly it was their thoughtfulness that's meant the most. We're all talking more now than we used to, and that support system, being in a big city far away from everyone I know, is definitely helping.

I'd ask them before getting them a Patagonia jacket, or other typical med student swag. While it's the craze right now, I know a lot of people who don't wear them for that very reason.

Also don't be afraid to support them randomly throughout the year. Sometimes my family members say they'll be in town and ask me out to dinner, or to a big sports game, or they ask me to go shopping with them and they get me something nice. Or sometimes they straight up just send me money without me asking for it, and say "have a nice week :)". It means a lot.

Reactions: 1 users
Maybe just cold hard cash depending on their circumstances. I know Nespresso machines are popular. Gift card to Starbucks, Amazon. Headphones or AirPods if they don't already have them. I'll second the post above about just occasionally sending cash or a care package to make their day.

Some bougie cute scrubs they can wear during SP encounters and later? Figs, Jaanuu, Medelita... etc. Can be embroidered, too.
Or maybe some fashionable goggles as nowadays goggles are considered part of a standard PPE on every patient encounter - Stoggles is making their presence now.
Or Crocs with bunch of cute buttons that signify medical career.

Reactions: 1 user
I got flanged hearing protection noise cancelling earbuds used in industrial settings so I could really focus while listening to lectures, even in crowded places.

Other game changers for me - robot vacuum, laptop stand, drill, tool set or leatherman to make little fixes around the house.

Also remember they're probably going to be spending 8+ hours at a desk per day so they may appreciate some back support or a luxe office chair.

Personally would be really happy to receive a gift certificate to a nice restaurant in the area. It's hard to convince myself to take myself out for special occasions but it's been so refreshing when I've had the opportunity.

The embroidered jacket is such a lovely thought but many students will buy those through the school or other fundraisers and part of "fitting in" will be having it match with their classmates - same color, font and logos. For personalized gifts perhaps consider a blind monogrammed briefcase, padfolio, business appropriate purse or medical bag.

Reactions: 1 users