Girls Interview Clothing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stucka21

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry if there is already a thread for this, but I couldn't find one and I'm in need of some quick suggestions, please!

I have 2 questions for the girls about interview clothes. First off, is it okay to wear a pair of "dressy" black flats (that have a heel of <1/2 inch) rather than a pair of heels? I hurt my ankle 2 weeks ago, and I'm doing fine now but would rather to feel comfortable during my interviews. Plus I'm not that good walking in heels all day!

Secondly, I don't plan on wearing any jewlery except for small sterling silver ball post earrings. Do you think they would be acceptable? I don't have to wear them, but I feel like they add just a little touch without being gaudy.

Suggestions would be great! Thanks everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sorry if there is already a thread for this, but I couldn't find one and I'm in need of some quick suggestions, please!

I have 2 questions for the girls about interview clothes. First off, is it okay to wear a pair of "dressy" black flats (that have a heel of <1/2 inch) rather than a pair of heels? I hurt my ankle 2 weeks ago, and I'm doing fine now but would rather to feel comfortable during my interviews. Plus I'm not that good walking in heels all day!

Secondly, I don't plan on wearing any jewlery except for small sterling silver ball post earrings. Do you think they would be acceptable? I don't have to wear them, but I feel like they add just a little touch without being gaudy.

Both will be fine. Good luck!

I have 2 questions for the girls about interview clothes. First off, is it okay to wear a pair of "dressy" black flats (that have a heel of <1/2 inch) rather than a pair of heels? I hurt my ankle 2 weeks ago, and I'm doing fine now but would rather to feel comfortable during my interviews. Plus I'm not that good walking in

See below

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I wore flats at my interview because I was not good at wearing heels..I don't think it would matter too much as long as they don't look too sloppy..:) Good luck!

I agree that both would be fine. I'm not wearing any jewelry - mostly because I normally don't and I would feel funny if I wore some just for interviews.

I am going to wear heels. I found a really comfy pair of pumps and I've worn them a few times to test them out. I should be good all day.

How about makeup? I normally don't wear any, but thought maybe I should wear a little to look a little more polished.

to the op both flats and small earrings will be just fine.

the most important thing is to be comfortable

and seap - i am not a big makeup wearer as well, i do not wear any (who has time??). but i did put on a touch of base, some neutral eyeshadow and blush and a soft lipstick color for my interview. i did not go with anything overly bright since i do not normally wear makeup and i do wear the hypoallergenic physicians formula since i find my eyes water if i wear makeup other than that one.

Dressy flats and small earrings are fine. Make sure your shoes are comfortable because most interviews include a tour (read "lots of walking"). A few pieces of conservative jewelry are fine.

Do make sure you wear a suit, either pant or skirt suit in a conservative dark color.

*Don't wear just a khaki skirt with a striped button down shirt
*Don't wear a white outfit
*Don't wear one of those trendy new short set suits that actually involve wearing a pair of shorts on the lower half of your body.

Yes, I have seen all of the above done at a med school interview.

What are people doing with their hair? Up? Down? Pulled back?

Are you carrying a purse?