Give hope to a beaten down P4?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tired farmer

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I haven't really been on here much since applying for pharmacy schools four years ago or so, and don't even remember my old user name. Figured I'd come back as I remember the forum being helpful.

Apologies in advance for the long post, and my poor grammar (i am so tired right now)

So, I'm a P4 student going to school in Chicago (one of the SIX schools in my state right now), and doing my rotations.

I got into pharmacy because I liked the idea of working in the retail setting. All my other jobs had been in retail, I loved science, and I loved the idea of helping people on such a personal basis.

I have had a job at a community for over 4 years now, and I love everyone I work with, and really enjoy it there. I always thought that's what I would be doing.

Then the years of pharmacy school started to go by.... I still liked my job (still do to this day), but the mood of the speakers coming in started to change. It went from the "JOBS ARE EVERYWHERE OMGG!!" to the, "set yourself apart and hope for the best" kind of talks. Companies cut back on the loans they gave out, and even started to eliminate the "student" pay category.

I do not recall the last time I worked with a pharmacist, staff, floater or otherwise that recommends going into retail anymore. Pharmacist and Tech hours are being cut, reimbursement rates are getting lower and lower, people are talking about getting rid of medicare. Then theres this whole MedCo, Express Scripts merger, remote verification systems that are making the retail world more and more irrelevant and getting rid of more and more jobs, and the 6 pharmacy schools are not helping.

Then I start rotations and get a lot of the "well your doing a residency right? You're not just going to work at CVS or something are you?"

I hate that such a huge portion of our profession is viewed like that. Don't get me wrong, I am incredibly impressed by the clinical pharmacists at hospitals, I love that they are treated like a professional as opposed to getting yelled at because the prescription took 20 minutes instead of 15 minutes to fill.

I do not think I want to go through with a residency. I'm still young, and probably in the top 10% or so in my class, so its an option that might be attainable if I so choose.

I just feel like I am so burnt out. I miss all the friends school as caused me to stray away from. I am getting married soon after I graduate, and want so bad to just have a "life" again.

Part of me wants to try retail, hope that I can do it without having it suck the life right out of me, and want to try and change the profession for the better (i know that sounds ridiculous". The other part of me see all the things that clinical pharmacists do, and see how they are treated as part of a health care team and how happy... or at least extremely satisfied with the work that they are able to accomplish on a daily basis, and contrast that with a pharmacist in the retail setting working 12-14 days without a break and being yelled at all day, while corporate tries to eliminate every "clinical" bone in your body.

So, my question is.... For someone who is deeply concerned in the direction our profession is headed, and cares about the advancement of it..... can one be happy working in retail/ will retail even be a major player any more, or will mail order/remote dispensing take over?

Or are residencies the only way to go to be happy?

Members don't see this ad.

Right or wrong, residency training does give you more options. You can always work in retail if that's what you want. Going from retail to "clinical" pharmacy is much harder.

One year of residency for 40 years (you said you're young) of better opportunities? Nothing is guaranteed in pharmacy or in any other career, but it seems like a short sacrifice for a long payoff.

currently, all the jobs i see through my buddy require residency (in my saturated area)

imo, retail is tough, some people love it others dont....if you dont like retail, residency might be a good option.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't do a residency because you think you have to.

It seems like you are mostly happy with retail. There isn't anything wrong with that. I think there will always be jobs in retail, you may just have to be flexible with your location...Walgreens/CVS are not getting rid of pharmacists....maybe cutting hrs, and moving to central fill...law still requires a pharmacist.

No one can say what the future holds though.

First of all my sympathy goes out to todays pharmacy grads. It is much different than when I got out back in 2000. That was the time of 10g sign ons,extra weeks vac etc... . I'll stop reminiscing and get back to reality. I spent 10 yrs working for the life sucking chains and 1 month ago got sick of it and left. I found a position in a clinic working with other health care profs,9 to 5 mon-fri, no holidays and no weekends. Roughly the same pay. If I was a new grad today I would look first into going to work for an independent on path to possible ownership. Look for smaller operations that supply nursing homes and correctional facilities. Kaiser Permanente is a good option. The smaller operations are the true innovators and give you the most chance to use your knowledge without having a residency. Your second option should be smaller chain grocery stores such as Wegmans or Harris Teeter. They don't have to slave drive their pharmacists as much because they have a big front end. Your last option should be the pharmacy destroying life sucking chains such as CVS, Wags,Rite-Aid. They have taken the profession to new lows. Hope this helps.

So, I haven't really been on here much since applying for pharmacy schools four years ago or so, and don't even remember my old user name. Figured I'd come back as I remember the forum being helpful.

Apologies in advance for the long post, and my poor grammar (i am so tired right now)

So, I'm a P4 student going to school in Chicago (one of the SIX schools in my state right now), and doing my rotations.

I got into pharmacy because I liked the idea of working in the retail setting. All my other jobs had been in retail, I loved science, and I loved the idea of helping people on such a personal basis.

I have had a job at a community for over 4 years now, and I love everyone I work with, and really enjoy it there. I always thought that's what I would be doing.

Then the years of pharmacy school started to go by.... I still liked my job (still do to this day), but the mood of the speakers coming in started to change. It went from the "JOBS ARE EVERYWHERE OMGG!!" to the, "set yourself apart and hope for the best" kind of talks. Companies cut back on the loans they gave out, and even started to eliminate the "student" pay category.

I do not recall the last time I worked with a pharmacist, staff, floater or otherwise that recommends going into retail anymore. Pharmacist and Tech hours are being cut, reimbursement rates are getting lower and lower, people are talking about getting rid of medicare. Then theres this whole MedCo, Express Scripts merger, remote verification systems that are making the retail world more and more irrelevant and getting rid of more and more jobs, and the 6 pharmacy schools are not helping.

Then I start rotations and get a lot of the "well your doing a residency right? You're not just going to work at CVS or something are you?"

I hate that such a huge portion of our profession is viewed like that. Don't get me wrong, I am incredibly impressed by the clinical pharmacists at hospitals, I love that they are treated like a professional as opposed to getting yelled at because the prescription took 20 minutes instead of 15 minutes to fill.

I do not think I want to go through with a residency. I'm still young, and probably in the top 10% or so in my class, so its an option that might be attainable if I so choose.

I just feel like I am so burnt out. I miss all the friends school as caused me to stray away from. I am getting married soon after I graduate, and want so bad to just have a "life" again.

Part of me wants to try retail, hope that I can do it without having it suck the life right out of me, and want to try and change the profession for the better (i know that sounds ridiculous". The other part of me see all the things that clinical pharmacists do, and see how they are treated as part of a health care team and how happy... or at least extremely satisfied with the work that they are able to accomplish on a daily basis, and contrast that with a pharmacist in the retail setting working 12-14 days without a break and being yelled at all day, while corporate tries to eliminate every "clinical" bone in your body.

So, my question is.... For someone who is deeply concerned in the direction our profession is headed, and cares about the advancement of it..... can one be happy working in retail/ will retail even be a major player any more, or will mail order/remote dispensing take over?

Or are residencies the only way to go to be happy?

I think there will be retail jobs but I do not see anyway the working environment/conditions will improve, things will be competitive but there will be jobs.

If you like retail and want to practice there for your career, then go for it, do what makes you happy!

Thanks everyone, and congrats Member 414055 on your nice new job.

Lets all hope the profession starts to turn itself around for the better

You'll still be able to get a retail gig at this point. New grads I know are still being hired, though not in the most "desirable" areas, though some got chicago. I assume that you just started rotations, so you'll have to give yourself a few clerkships before yoiu know if residency is for you.... trust me, you'll know! If not, don't worry too much there was some good advice given above. Just be glad you're graduating next year and not later!

I hate that you sound so down. Pharmacy is a scary field right now I agree. I graduated 2 yrs ago. I was die hard residency from the start and applied and did not match. It is a very competitive thing, these residencies. I had 2 job offers in 2010 (Martins and CVS). I took CVS, and honestly they loved me, told me I was great etc....the love thing was not mutual. They treated me like crap and worked me to the bone. I did have friends do retail and they love it...even with CVS, I was just unlucky with my store, I think. I applied for residency and somehow matched this time. I started in July. I really enjoy what I do. There is a future for pharmacy but it will be clinical. The jobs in retail will be there but you need to stands out. As far as residency goes, it is hard and like rotations on crack. So man up if you want to do it. You will be a slave for a year. The only thing that gets me through is loving what I do. So, if you are unsure do retail...you will know soon if clinical is for you. Do not do a residency b/c you think you have too, you will not make it, if you hate it. Hang in there. The good pharmacist will still have jobs, the not so good ones....sorry for ya. Stand out is my best advice to you. Also, if you do apply to residency apply to like 8-10. P.S. chicago area sucks for jobs...move:)

I am a current 4th year on rotation and I am going through the same dilemma in my head. Thanks every one for the advice!