give up? apply to DO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medboy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey y'all ...
This is my third year applying and I've interviewed at 5 schools over the years -- waitlisted at 3 of them (2 this year)...hopefully one will come through.

but if they don't, i don't know what to do. if there is anyone out there in my position or similar to it, I would love to hear your thoughts.

Right now, I'm thinking about giving up and just choosing another profession. Three years of frustration has resulted in nothing. Another idea is to apply to DO schools ... but, I'm afraid they might ask me, how come all of a sudden you want to come to DO schools? I can't just say, "cause i didn't get into md schools.."

Please help a brother out.
PM me or respond.

Thanks and good luck to everyone else.

Members don't see this ad.

You must (and I mean MUST) improve your application (i.e. gpa, mcat, ec's, essays... or even better, all of the above) before you apply again. It wouldn't hurt to apply to some DO schools you may be interested at that time. In the meantime, improve those things I mentioned, research DO schools, and send interest/intent letters to the school(s) you interviewed at. If this cycle doesn't work out, talk to the admis directors to see what specifically about your application needs improvement. Good luck!

I don't know why you didn't apply to DO schools the first time. So many people make the same mistake you did. Think about it, you apply your 4th time next year and get in finally to DO school. If you would have gotten into DO school the first time around you would be graduating already and be in your residency.

I hope any premeds reading this realize this and don't make this same mistake that so many do.

Yes apply DO if you really want to be a physician.

Members don't see this ad :)
or apply to carribean if you really want the coveted "MD" letters. but realize that you're much better off going DO than to the oversea schools.

a common thing I see on SDN is people going "OK, i've given up MD, now I'm going DO" with the assumption that the acceptance is in the mail w/ DO schools.

While DO schools are known for looking pass the numbers ... there are other factors that might preclude you from an acceptance

DO letters of recommendations - required by a lot of schools, strongly recommended for all schools. If you go over to the pre-DO forum, you'll see how difficult it is to get a DO letter.

Interview skills - perhaps those are the reasons why you were waitlisted? (you didn't give any stats so right now it is pure conjecture)

Healthcare experience - A MUST for both MD and DO

and you will also need a good answer to "why the sudden interest in DO?" You must formulate them yourself because only you know the answer to that.

thanks for all the input ...

and to answer a couple of questions; my stats were 3.3 and 28 mcat...

I do have clinical experience and some letter of recs, but no DO recs ... yet.

But, I do regret not applying to DO schools earlier in the ball game ... I guess I just did not take the time to learn about DO's since I presumed that I'd get in a MD school ...so for you future applicants out there, put the time and look into DO schools as well as MD's. ..

Adding a little note that don't be stressed out if you can't get any DO's letter. Currently, many DO schools accept students without a letter from a DO physician. However, you may need to shadow a DO physician a couple times so that you can be familiar with DO practice and discuss about this during your interview. I was accepted without a letter, and I had learned in the past that many SDNers were also accepted as long as they had letters from either MD or DO physicians. I'm too on the waitlist at MD school this year, but it would be very stressful for me right now if I didn't apply to any DO schools.

Originally posted by group_theory

DO letters of recommendations - required by a lot of schools, strongly recommended for all schools. If you go over to the pre-DO forum, you'll see how difficult it is to get a DO letter.

No DO letter here, but was accepted to a DO school (had four possible interviews-declined after acceptance)

Originally posted by medboy

I do have clinical experience and some letter of recs, but no DO recs ... yet.

Have you thought about retaking the MCAT to improve your score? 28 is still a strong score, but it possibly may be holding you back. How many schools are you applying to each year? Early in the cycle?

For what it's worth, med admissions office told me MCAT scores of 27-29 are all right. They won't help you (meaning you need a strong academic background to get in), but they won't hurt you either (as say a lower score).

Have you ever sat down and really self-analyzed what went wrong? This is your third time - something must be keeping you back. Your MCAT is ok (unless the breakdown is something like 12, 12, 4). Your GPA, while a bit low, is still acceptable to many schools.

Do you live in a crazy competitive state (i.e. California)? Or perhaps your state doesn't have any medical school and thus must apply as an out-of-stater to all medical schools? You have to address this issue. If there is something, if you don't address it, it might even come back and haunt you (e.g. DO school rejections)

OH - for you and those reading this thread. The following is a list of DO schools and their "DO LOR requirements" if any. The information was obtained from the Association of American Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine. Comments such as "highly recommended" or "preferred" are those of the website, and not mine. If you want more information about a particular school's requirements, visit the school's website and/or contact the school admission dept.

http://www.aacom.org/home-applicants/index.html

Arizone (AZCOM) - require LOR from physician (DO or MD)
Chicago (CCOM) - require LOR from physician (DO strongly recommended)
Des Moines (DMUCOMS) - none stated
Kirksville, MO (KCOM) - a LOR from physican (or a past/present employer)
Lake Erie, PA (LECOM) - DO LOR required (not related to applicant)
Michigan State (MSUCOM) - none stated
New York (NYCOM) - DO LOR highly recommended
Ft. Lauderdale, FL (NSUCOM) - DO LOR required
Ohio (OUCOM) - DO LOR highly recommended
Oklahoma State (OSUCOM) - DO LOR required
Philadelphia (PCOM) - DO LOR is advised, but not required
Pikeville, KY (PCSOM) - require LOR from physician (DO preferred but not required)
Mare Island, CA (TUCOM) - require LOR from physician (DO preferred)
Kansas City, Mo (UHSCOM) - require LOR from physician (DO preferred)
New Jersey (UMDNJ-SOM) - none stated
Maine (UNECOM) - DO LOR highly recommended
Texas (TCOM of UNTHSC) - DO LOR strongly encouraged
Virginia (VCOM) - DO LOR required
West Virginia (WVSOM) - DO LOR required (i think, site is a bit unclear)
Pomona, CA (COMP of Western) - require LOR from physician (DO preferred)

Talking with a TUCOM counselor I found that as long as you have a decent GPA (~3.3 and above) with average MCAT (~29) then the numbers factor would not hold you back.

To have applied x3 without matriculating is very odd, but I am not ruling out the possibility. Were you only applying to top 20 schools? Well the fact is, if you do plan to apply again seriously look at your portfolio and if you dont get in this time around call the places where you were wailisted and find out what went wrong. If you can I would follow their suggestions before the next application cycle.

There are post-bacc's with possible linkage programs. GU-SMP is expensive, but if its your passion every penny should be worth it. There are still options to becoming a physician albeit DO or MD, just persevere and you will succeed. Anyways, the best of luck and wishes! :)

I've posted this elsewhere but what the heck, it may help somebody else...

electrical engineer
GPA 3.58
MCAT 31
cali app

1st year) ~30 apps. 7 interviews. no luv
2nd year) ~11 apps(mostly cali). 1 interview. no luv
3rd year) ~30 apps. 3 interviews. no luv.

4th year) MCAT = 35 <-- retook + better ECs + better ROLs

5th year) ~48 apps. 11 interview offers. went to 6. accept @1, wl@3

I know... I'm probably a social outcast or something. Also, I did have a big black ugly mark that (I hope) healed with time.

Have you talked to the schools that have rejected you over these past 3 years to find out why they rejected you. I can't stress this enough..... Schools are willing to meet with you and discuss what they feel is wrong with your application.

That said....if your numbers are good and you have health care experience then let us look at the other factors that are left.

1. Personal statement - don't ignore this one. This is what sets us apart form the other applicants with similar stats. It must convey a geniune interest and desire to go into medicine and become a doctor. How is yours? Does it paint you in a very postive light and make the adcoms say..."We must talk to this person"? Have you had it read by others?

2. Interview skills - how do you think you came off in your interview. Were you nervous, cocky, distant, indifferent, etc...? Were you able to get your desire to become a doc across to your interviewer?

3. LOR- Are you 100% sure your letters of recommendation are glowing and truely express what your letter writers think of you? Did they know you personally? Did you give them your personal statement before they wrote their letters so they could know why you want to become a doc?

As to applying for a DO spot. You are correct, applicants should read all about the DO profession before they decide to apply to determine if they want to attend a DO school. Lots of people pass up DO schools because they percieve them as lesser schools with below average applicants. That is simply not true. The mean GPA was 3.43, which is quite close to the MD GPA. The MCAT average was lower, 25 but not all that much lower. And year year those numbers seem to rise.

I didn't apply DO the first time I applied because at that time there weren't any DO schools in Virginia. That is why I applied DO this year, because I had my heart set on VCOM which is in Blacksburg, VA. I didn't shadow a DO, but did interview with one to get my letter of recomendation. I did, however grow up with a DO as my family's primary care physician so I was aware of the DO profession. I didn't know what OMM was though, because my family doc didn't do it. OMM is a big difference in the 2 educations, but any more the majority of DOs don't practice OMM in their practice. I don't know if I will, because I don't know enough about it. But I am looking forward to learning about it in school.

Hey y'all ...
This is my third year applying and I've interviewed at 5 schools over the years -- waitlisted at 3 of them (2 this year)...hopefully one will come through.

but if they don't, i don't know what to do. if there is anyone out there in my position or similar to it, I would love to hear your thoughts.

Right now, I'm thinking about giving up and just choosing another profession. Three years of frustration has resulted in nothing. Another idea is to apply to DO schools ... but, I'm afraid they might ask me, how come all of a sudden you want to come to DO schools? I can't just say, "cause i didn't get into md schools.."

Please help a brother out.
PM me or respond.

Thanks and good luck to everyone else.

Focus on your bottom line desire to be a physician. DO schools like to hear this, too, along with the desire to learn about the philosophy behind a DO education.

goodluck!

I got into a DO school this year in VA on my second try. I know it's frustrating for you, but you really do need to focus on what may be your faults. If you have not contacted schools you applied to that did not accept you, that is the best place to start. Find out, improve and re apply if this is what you truly want to do.

As far as applying to DO schools, two big things you want to do are to shadow a DO. I shadowed one for nearly 2 years and when I interviewed at schools, they were very impressed with that because I'd seen osteopathy first hand. The other important thing is to get some solid healthcare experience. I had the bizarre job of being an autopsy assistant for almost 2 years and this set me apart from other applicants because that kind of experience is rare.

Look into these things and I'm sure that you will find your path to success. Good luck