Giving Up My Cali Residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

I'm going to be honest with you, if your stats aren't super competitive to begin with, California schools are going to be difficult. That being said, I don't know what your definitely of "super competitive" is, and if you apply early and you're dedicated to serving as a primary care physician or to serving inland California, Davis and Riverside deeply value that.


How would one determine this though? I'm not disagreeing but am more curious. Seems like too subjective of a criteria to base admissions on. How would I as a hypothetical adcom at UC riverside be like, this person definitely wants to do PC! Are there like specific scholarships given out or specific tracts to apply for? While my main goals as a future physician haven't changed (be an expert, IM, etc.) my field of interest constantly varies which is why I didn't mention anything in the PS about it. I could have technically said I wanted to do family med and then could have gone on to be a GI scope-monkey as they call them.
 
Last edited:
How would one determine this though? I'm not disagreeing but am more curious. Seems like too subjective of a criteria to base admissions on. How would I as a hypothetical adcom at UC riverside be like, this person definitely wants to do PC! Are there like specific scholarships given out or specific tracts to apply for? While my main goals as a future physician haven't changed (be an expert, IM, etc.) my field of interest constantly varies which is why I didn't mention anything in the PS about it. I could have technically said I wanted to do family med and then could have gone on to be a GI scope-monkey as they call them.
UCR isn't chartered for Primary Care. It's mandate is to produce physicians for the IE. To the degree that they are successful, they can expect their support to continue (and grow).
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How would one determine this though? I'm not disagreeing but am more curious. Seems like too subjective of a criteria to base admissions on. How would I as a hypothetical adcom at UC riverside be like, this person definitely wants to do PC! Are there like specific scholarships given out or specific tracts to apply for? While my main goals as a future physician haven't changed (be an expert, IM, etc.) my field of interest constantly varies which is why I didn't mention anything in the PS about it. I could have technically said I wanted to do family med and then could have gone on to be a GI scope-monkey as they call them.
It's honestly not that great of a way to run admissions, but whether they're committed to primary care can be seen more so by EC. Are they doing research in X, or are they volunteering in underserved clinics? Obviously many people do both, but usually an applicant is more accomplished as a research/academic or more accomplished as a caretaker/potential primary care candidate.

I wouldn't try to predict what "answer" schools are looking for. My best interview resulted in a waitlist (and likely reject) and my worst interview resulted in an acceptance + merit (similar tier schools too). So as much as people say the interview matters, I have a feeling they're already somewhat inclined to accept or deny you. If the process were logical how would someone explain being invited to interview on the first day, glowing recommendations from interviewers (practically begging me to come, with them voluntarily sending notes to admissions/checking up on me) and no acceptance in the end?
 
If the process were logical how would someone explain being invited to interview on the first day, glowing recommendations from interviewers (practically begging me to come, with them voluntarily sending notes to admissions/checking up on me) and no acceptance in the end?
It's a committee decision.
A unanimous decision is required at many places.
 
It's a committee decision.
A unanimous decision is required at many places.
Right, and I guess my point is that things don't turn out the way you expect them to because of a lot of variables that are out of your control to an extent. Not "sky is falling nothing matters" but more like "your LizzyM is a reasonable approximation of where you might end up, but there is nothing that can be done at a school level to predict or assume your odds of success are high".

I borderline insulted my interviewer by accident, and still got in. Does that mean you should insult interviewers? Probably not, but maybe instead of being offended he felt like I was being genuine, and after hearing applicant after applicant regurgitate the same canned answers he was glad to find someone that wasn't afraid to speak his mind.
 
Hi all,

I am moving to Oregon next month for work and am currently applying. I have the option to change my residency, but wanted to get some advice. I am a CA resident with low stats. I'm not sure what to do!
 
Hi all,

I am moving to Oregon next month for work and am currently applying. I have the option to change my residency, but wanted to get some advice. I am a CA resident with low stats. I'm not sure what to do!
Your OOS list will need to be targeted to your stats and strengths.
Even if OR recognizes you as IS (not necessarily a given) they only matriculate 21.1% IS