Giving Up

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wellwatcanwedonow

Reaction score
; today marks one month of radio silence. I know this is a long haul, but I just can't help but feel hopeless as all my peers are receiving interviews from my top schools. I thought I was a very strong applicant but this process has been the most humbling.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 5 users
It’s humbling for all of us. I may be doing a third cycle, so I can appreciate how you must be feeling.

Think of it this way: is there anything else you could contribute to the world with the extra time you have on your hands?

People have many talents and silence from med schools is not a slight on your character. See if you can invest your time into one of your other talents and maybe something spectacular will come out of it. The extra time you have now due to not hearing back may end up being the best time of your life.

Also, the cycle is not even close to being over. You can get an interview in march and still matriculate.

There’s still time till Thanksgiving for LizzyM’s rule.

Best of luck

Reactions: 2 users
I totally feel you, I've now been in ice cold silence for a little over two months. No Rs, No IIs, nothing.

Of course there's the Thanksgiving Rule, but it doesn't change how nerve-racking silence is. I've found comfort in focusing on the things that I can control. While I can't control my fate this cycle anymore, I can work on myself not only as an applicant, but also as a person to be the best overall me I can be come 2024.

Our time will come eventually. Be that this year, the next, or three years from now. Let's keep pushing. Good luck :)

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Don't construe silence as a referendum on your application for at least another month. Schools are still sending out interview invites. Good luck, all!

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
LM 74.5; today marks one month of radio silence. I know this is a long haul, but I just can't help but feel hopeless as all my peers are receiving interviews from my top schools. I thought I was a very strong applicant but this process has been the most humbling.
Patience is a virtue, the need for instant gratification is not.

You might get an II tomorrow, or in March.

In the meantime, work on improving your app, and coping skills.

Reactions: 4 users
One of my former students got in after 5 cycles. They're a happy, successful practicing physician!

• Wow
Reactions: 5 users
I am still reviewing applications for II's so the season is not over yet. Last year, I reviewed apps until February.
My fellow app reviewers at our school and I all average 45 minutes to an hour (sometimes longer) per app. I can tell you that after a 12-13 hr day in the ICU with no breaks, reading thru an app will not be a priority when I get home at 8 PM.
I understand it's quite difficult to wait, we were applicants once upon a time too (in my day, we relied on the USPS, talk about waiting!). Be assured we thoroughly (holistically) review each and every app sent our way.

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 9 users
OP: didn't you get an II in September?I presume you interviewed by now.

This is not a contest of who gets the most interviews.
yes, I was lucky to have interviewed in September. However I have not received any since then and I guess its the anxiety around the waiting creeping up. Certainly grateful for the opportunity to interview though.

I am still reviewing applications for II's so the season is not over yet. Last year, I reviewed apps until February.
My fellow app reviewers at our school and I all average 45 minutes to an hour (sometimes longer) per app. I can tell you that after a 12-13 hr day in the ICU with no breaks, reading thru an app will not be a priority when I get home at 8 PM.
I understand it's quite difficult to wait, we were applicants once upon a time too (in my day, we relied on the USPS, talk about waiting!). Be assured we thoroughly (holistically) review each and every app sent our way.
i appreciate the insight, thank you! focusing on other things has helped curb the difficulty of waiting though.

question if i may-- do you recommend update letters?

Reactions: 1 user
i appreciate the insight, thank you! focusing on other things has helped curb the difficulty of waiting though.

question if i may-- do you recommend update letters?
I don't get to see them and don't know if the folks on the committee wants them or not. This is a question you should ask when meeting with the dean of admissions at the interview session.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users