Glasgow vs Michigan vs Tufts !!!

Started by proline
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Which school should I chose?

  • Tufts

    Votes: 13 44.8%
  • Michigan

    Votes: 10 34.5%
  • Glasgow

    Votes: 6 20.7%

  • Total voters
    29

proline

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
if you were deciding among Glasgow vs Michigan vs Tufts, which would you pick and why?

also, is it harder to find a job in States after having attended a foreign school? would going to Glasgow be viewed as not being able to get a seat in the states (and could it make one less competitive for jobs in the US afterwards)? what challenges to students attending foreign veterinary schools face?

thanks!
 
if you were deciding among Glasgow vs Michigan vs Tufts, which would you pick and why?

also, is it harder to find a job in States after having attended a foreign school? would going to Glasgow be viewed as not being able to get a seat in the states (and could it make one less competitive for jobs in the US afterwards)? what challenges to students attending foreign veterinary schools face?

thanks!

I am a Glasgow alumna (2006). It's not any more difficult to get a job than any other US grad. People may have questions about your licensure, but you can quickly assure them that you're OK to practice.

What do you mean "not being able to get a seat in the states"? Do you plan on transferring - if so, I recommend you NOT choose Glasgow. I hated it when people transfered out of my school. It's like they're not loyal...

Challenges include a total different culture, climate, and education system.
 
What do you mean "not being able to get a seat in the states"? Do you plan on transferring - if so, I recommend you NOT choose Glasgow. I hated it when people transfered out of my school. It's like they're not loyal...

Um, that's really a personal decision and has nothing to do with you. This reminds me of the attitude I've seen at certain places I've worked where people who leave the company (for a different job, school, different opportunity, whatever) were referred to by the other employees as "traitors," either jokingly or seriously. That's really something that people need to get over. Just because a situation isn't right for one person doesn't imply any blanket slight about that situation. Others still at that job/school need to realize it's not personal towards them. I feel this is a really destructive attitude.

Also, I believe the reference to "not being able to get a seat in the states" was asking whether people would think they couldn't get into a US school, so went abroad. I assume that if you go to an AVMA accredited school, that this wouldn't even be a thought.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I say Glasgow!! (although I might be a little bias since I'm most likely attending Glasgow Sept '08 😀)

The reason....I like the way the education system is over there. From my understanding, the testing is different....lots of essays, oral exams & negative markings. When you have those types of exams, versus just MC & T/F, I think you end up TRULY knowing everything...rather than studying to memorize (which, let's face it...some people do). Also, Negative markings eliminates the possibility of people guessing the correct answer.
With that in mind, I firmly believe the education system over there will better prepare us and because of that, I think there is potential for Glasgow graduates to out-compete US Vet students for internships/residencies.

Plus, the school is accredited according to 3 different standards: American, British and European. So, basically...you can work just about anywhere in the world without having to take extra exams. (I made sure of that during the interview). I like the idea of that since I'm a wanderer at heart. I don't really know where I want to live in the future and I'm considering Wildlife medicine. So I could potentially end up living in some place like Africa, for example, at the end of all this.

I also like the idea of EMS...which you can carry out in Scotland, the US, or anywhere else (so long as it's approved by the school). I can travel and gain both educational and life experience.

Just my 2 cents...hope it helps.
 
why has everyone chosen the school that they have? why is tufts the most popular option? (just curious of everyone's opinions)
 
a lot of people ask, "why would you go to Glasgow? you have gotten accepted to American schools"

i find that such a weird question. is there a stigma associated with going to a foreign vet school vs an american school (like there is among for med students)? i was just curious. glasgow is a fantastic school for the reasons that a poster previously mentioned. but i just don't understand other people's attitudes...
 
a lot of people ask, "why would you go to Glasgow? you have gotten accepted to American schools"

i find that such a weird question. is there a stigma associated with going to a foreign vet school vs an american school (like there is among for med students)? i was just curious. glasgow is a fantastic school for the reasons that a poster previously mentioned. but i just don't understand other people's attitudes...

People are ignorant of other cultures. They think that America is the best of the best, so if you choose something else you're somehow doing something bad. I think it would benefit these same people to live overseas for a while...the USA is not the only good country in the world. Just my opinion.
 
Go to MSU or Tufts over Glasgow, not because of the school - but the expense. It is extremely expensive to live over there and there is no reason to get into that amount of debt. You can have overseas experiences later (or do some overseas internships/externships). There is a girl at OSU that transferred from Glasgow (which is amazingly rare that we accept transers) due to finances. She ended up losing a whole year because of transferring credits and what not.
 
I am a Glasgow alumna (2006). It's not any more difficult to get a job than any other US grad. People may have questions about your licensure, but you can quickly assure them that you're OK to practice.

What do you mean "not being able to get a seat in the states"? Do you plan on transferring - if so, I recommend you NOT choose Glasgow. I hated it when people transfered out of my school. It's like they're not loyal...

Challenges include a total different culture, climate, and education system.

I agree with VAgirl. Some people have families and finances to think about. They may have loved the school but it might not have been the best choice for them.
 
I would love to attend Glasgow, but I chose U of M because of the extra year of tuition, expense, etc. I have a lot of undergrad debt, and had to go with the slightly less expensive option. OOS for U of M is a lot anyway. But I think that Glasgow is a great choice if you can do it, it's an accredited school, so you should have no trouble in that regard.
 
how do you make a poll?
i want to do one for my choice as well:
Texas A&M (IS tuition)
Georgia (IS tuition)
UPenn (OOS expensive)

any advice is appreciate?
 
People are ignorant of other cultures. They think that America is the best of the best, so if you choose something else you're somehow doing something bad. I think it would benefit these same people to live overseas for a while...the USA is not the only good country in the world. Just my opinion.

Completely agree! If my decision came down to a top US school and a European school, both of which cost the same, I would pick the European school without question. I'm fascinated by their education system over there. I firmly believe the US system is in need of a major haulover. From my understanding, Europeans graduate high school with their bachelors. They learn stuff in 8 grade that we were learning in 11th or 12th!

Yeah, the US doller may tank. But then again...it may not. Nothing in life is a certainty. But, to each their own...
 
From what I've seen and heard about Glasgow, I think it is a really good school. I applied there and was accepted but have sadly decided to attend vet school in the States due to the enormous cost. I've lived abroad several times and really like the testing system at Glasgow but after consulation with a friend who helps newly graduated vets with financial planning / getting out of debt, I just don't think it is a smart business move to get $250K+ in debt, if you can avoid it.

According to my friend, those vets that she works with who have taken out large amounts of loans are really struggling to keep their heads above water (especially those in large animal medicine or doing internships). Keep in mind, she considers $80K+ to be a large loan, and we all know how far that will get you in vet school. Just the interest on a loan of $250K is staggering.

I do believe in investing in yourself and your education but it does sort of scare me when I read on this board about people who think nothing of drawing out thousands of $$ in private loans (and encourage others to do so as well). I think investing in yourself is great but you also have to be able to pay your bills and save for retirement. If you can make the numbers work, more power to you. I couldn't so I'll be living vicariously for now.
 
I do believe in investing in yourself and your education but it does sort of scare me when I read on this board about people who think nothing of drawing out thousands of $$ in private loans (and encourage others to do so as well). I think investing in yourself is great but you also have to be able to pay your bills and save for retirement. If you can make the numbers work, more power to you. I couldn't so I'll be living vicariously for now.

I agree. All vet schools teach the same thing and you will get a great education at any accredited school. Go to the cheapest school possible (be it international or not). You'll thank yourself later.
 
I do believe in investing in yourself and your education but it does sort of scare me when I read on this board about people who think nothing of drawing out thousands of $$ in private loans (and encourage others to do so as well). I think investing in yourself is great but you also have to be able to pay your bills and save for retirement. If you can make the numbers work, more power to you. I couldn't so I'll be living vicariously for now.

It's always going to come down to whatever's best for the individual. I'm fortunate enough to only need to take out a loan of $120-150K for Glasgow because of my savings. Granted, I would prefer to put my savings into a new home after graduation, but I'm willing to do whatever necessary to achieve my goal of becoming a vet. CSU was my #1 choice...had I been accepted, I would be shelling out $52K/year....which is more per year than Glasgow. Glasgow just has the extra year. Having the life experience of living abroad makes paying for that extra year worth it, IMO. Again...this is my personal belief. Not trying to push people into paying for something they can't afford. Like I say...to each their own.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
People are ignorant of other cultures. They think that America is the best of the best, so if you choose something else you're somehow doing something bad. I think it would benefit these same people to live overseas for a while...the USA is not the only good country in the world. Just my opinion.

While this is true for some people, I think that is a vast oversimplification of why people view it as a second choice. Just look at how many people go abroad for undergrad and have an amazing experience (i'm talking about undergrads of all career paths)

Its hard to move overseas, and a lot of people have friends, families, some even husbands, children, and many have pets, all of which tie them to the US. It also tends to be more expensive due to many having an extra year, some not being accredited, and having to either ship things overseas or have to buy all new things. for many these reasons, plus more, for some people going overseas is a second option if they can get into a US school.

That being said, its wrong/presumptuous of people to assume that because an overseas school is a second choice for them, it is for everyone else as well. i think that that is more often the problem than what you stated. People often just look at the end product, that is a vet license, rather than the experiences that are acquired while at vet school, forgetting that going abroad has a lot to offer.

In all of the people I have talked to who would prefer going to a US school (at my school and at interviews), I have never heard someone imply its because the US is better/other countries are inferior. I haven't heard of people thinking that people with a foreign veterinary degree are not as good vets.

The desire to stay with whats familiar may limit a persons world experience, but shouldn't be viewed of as ignorance or intolerance.