Glasses or Contacts for Interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TIGIBedHead

Fever to Tell
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm not in the application process yet, but I'm anticipating for next year. For those who have a choice between glasses and contacts, which do you prefer for interviews? For me, contacts are more natural and presentable, but glasses would probably make me look smarter. I'm already avoiding re-highlighting my hair until after interviews next year because I don't want to look any less bookwormish than I already do. I'll probably go with contacts, but I wonder how much of an impression glasses can make on an interviewer when it comes to judging intelligence.

Members don't see this ad.

Whatever you look cutest in, obviously :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Please tell me you're kidding.

mashce said:
Whatever you look cutest in, obviously :D

This will surely help my case for admission ;)

With the reason you cited for wanting to wear glasses vs contacts, and the fact that you are holding off on the hair re-highlighting, it sounds like you are going for the ultra-nerdy look. I'm not so sure that this will give you a leg up in interviews? Aren't interviews more about seeing what other sides you have besides the bookwormish stuff? Obviously if this is your natural look then no matter, but why try to pull off a nerdier look? Why not just be whoever you are?

But I guess if you REALLY want to pull the nerd thing off you should get some masking tape and put it on the middle of your glasses. Get some frames with thicker rims and use a little pomade to slick back your hair. awesome. :thumbup:

Good luck, I'm sure you will do great no matter what your look (as long as it is presentable)

Thundrstorm said:
Please tell me you're kidding.

Thundr, I wish I were, but there are some professors out there who will assume things about intelligence based on looks. I have one male professor in particular who seemed surprised that I could answer questions in class. He's always quizzing me on very basic things just to make sure I'm following.. He doesn't do this to most of the other students. I don't see reason for this treatment other than the fact that I don't look like most of the pre-meds in my class.

spoon said:
With the reason you cited for wanting to wear glasses vs contacts, and the fact that you are holding off on the hair re-highlighting, it sounds like you are going for the ultra-nerdy look. I'm not so sure that this will give you a leg up in interviews? Aren't interviews more about seeing what other sides you have besides the bookwormish stuff? Obviously if this is your natural look then no matter, but why try to pull off a nerdier look? Why not just be whoever you are?

But I guess if you REALLY want to pull the nerd thing off you should get some masking tape and put it on the middle of your glasses. Get some frames with thicker rims and use a little pomade to slick back your hair. awesome. :thumbup:

Good luck, I'm sure you will do great no matter what your look (as long as it is presentable)

I like the masking tape idea :D Yea, I'm not gonna purposely nerd myself up for interviews, but I wonder how much stereotypes based on appearance factor into the process.

TIGIBedHead said:
I like the masking tape idea :D Yea, I'm not gonna purposely nerd myself up for interviews, but I wonder how much stereotypes based on appearance factor into the process.

Well I think you have a good point. I hadn't considered that maybe you are worried about this from personal experience :) I think you have a valid concern about some people. However, I have been on many interviews and there are super-smart bookwormish looking people, blonde bombshells, southern belles, whatever, and everyone seems to be treated very professionally. However, I am not in the interview rooms and I don't know how some member of the old boys network would view less "intellectual" looking candidates. However, as for glasses vs contacts, I definitely agree with the poster who said do what makes you feel more comfortable. Comfort goes a long way in helping you exude confidence on interview day.

TIGIBedHead said:
I'm not in the application process yet, but I'm anticipating for next year. For those who have a choice between glasses and contacts, which do you prefer for interviews? For me, contacts are more natural and presentable, but glasses would probably make me look smarter. I'm already avoiding re-highlighting my hair until after interviews next year because I don't want to look any less bookwormish than I already do. I'll probably go with contacts, but I wonder how much of an impression glasses can make on an interviewer when it comes to judging intelligence.

Wear whatever makes you feel more confident. If wearing glasses makes you feel smarter, you should wear them. When I wear glasses, I feel dopey and homely so I avoid that for interviews. It's more how you carry yourself that affects the interviewer's view of you.

Can you see it now?

The scene is the adcom app review meeting:

Adcom 1: So we have spoon here...solid app...good interview...but something was missing...anyone?
Adcom 2: Was it a pair of Foster Grants, sir.
Adcom 1: Yes...yes, it was. Dump her. NEXT!

There have been numerous studies done that suggest that more attractive people have better success in interview/selection/subjective type atmospheres. I think that any attempt of yours to "nerd-down" will only accomplish exactly the opposite of what you're looking for. Be conservative, but look your best, speak your best, and own the room. You want to stand out, not blend in.

gdbaby said:
Can you see it now?

The scene is the adcom app review meeting:

Adcom 1: So we have spoon here...solid app...good interview...but something was missing...anyone?
Adcom 2: Was it a pair of Foster Grants, sir.
Adcom 1: Yes...yes, it was. Dump her. NEXT!

it's so strange you say that, because my last rejection letter came in a big envelope...i tore it open and was disappointed to find the rejection, and puzzled to find a foster grant catalogue...

spoon said:
it's so strange you say that, because my last rejection letter came in a big envelope...i tore it open and was disappointed to find the rejection, and puzzled to find a foster grant catalogue...
HA! Was it in big type so you could read it WITHOUT your glasses (hint, hint)?

Okay...wow. I think your application, grades, tests scores, essays, LOR should do their job of stating your intelligence. If you want to come across as intelligent at an interview, speak articulately and with confidence. You will be so much more impressive if you look attractive AND sound intelligent. Don't nerd yourself down if that's not who you are. The point of the interview, generally, is to see if you're likeable, personable, etc. As one of the above posters said, studies show that attractive people tend to be perceived as more intelligent, kinder, more capable, etc. Again, if you want to seem intelligent, behave as someone who is intelligent would.

Screw the glasses vs. contacts deal. The real question is where the hell are you going to stash your pocket protector?!

Def. Contacts. Haven't you seen Gattaca. People with glasses aren't perfect and hence can't gain admission.

Note: Completely kidding. I do not endorse discrimination against those without 20/20 vision. :)

little_late_MD said:
There have been numerous studies done that suggest that more attractive people have better success in interview/selection/subjective type atmospheres. I think that any attempt of yours to "nerd-down" will only accomplish exactly the opposite of what you're looking for. Be conservative, but look your best, speak your best, and own the room. You want to stand out, not blend in.

Yes- psychologists will tell you that more attractive people come off as more likable and credible in studies. That is why anchormen and women are cast aside when they start to show their age. While you would hope professional interviewers wouldn't be swayed by these popular biases, they might. By making yourself nerdy by losing the glasses and the highlights, you are probably moving in the wrong direction.