Glide Year + top schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Archimedes

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Now that acceptances are coming in, anyone here who took a year off get accepted to a top 20 school?

Members don't see this ad.

For clarification purposes, what are the top 20 schools?

TexasSnow said:
For clarification purposes, what are the top 20 schools?

I'm guessing top 20 according to US News' research schools ranking.

And I know someone who's in the middle of taking a year off who got accepted MSTP to UT-Southwestern. It's not such a rarity....If anything, at some ["top 20"] schools, I felt more like an outlier for still being in college and applying to med school.

Members don't see this ad :)
bidster said:
I'm guessing top 20 according to US News' research schools ranking.

well, in that case....

I took time off and got into one (so far) top 20 research school: UT-Southwestern. Personally, I advise people to take time off (as long as you can account for it during the interview!)

Archimedes said:
Now that acceptances are coming in, anyone here who took a year off get accepted to a top 20 school?

No, this never happens. If you are looking to make it happen, though, it might be best not to refer to your time off as a 'glide year.'

If you mean really doing nothing for a year, I have no opinion or answer, but if by gliding you mean not going to school but working at a real job, I can relate to that. I've worked this entire year (no school) and so far have gotten in to two top 20's and 1 top ten. Still waiting to hear from more schools in the next month. :D

DrDarwin, can you elaborate? :(

um glide year = working. probably get a job in a lab or doing some clinical research or something or the other. dunno yet.

reason = 1. bad mcat score 2. I was really confused about whether i wanted to do an MD or Phd or both - couldn't make up my mind really until really my senior year. Now I really really know what I want to do and why, so I feel more secure applying this second round anyway.

For many people, the term "glide year" implies a year of slacking off - maybe only working part time while doing nothing else, or maybe doing less than that - becoming the state's best Halo 2 player, for example. I will apply to medical school the June after my senior year, meaning that I will take a year off. I am very familiar with a few members of an ADCOM at a top 20 school, and they assure me that a year off with good reason will not detract from your application in any way. Good luck :thumbup:

Archimedes said:
DrDarwin, can you elaborate? :(

um glide year = working. probably get a job in a lab or doing some clinical research or something or the other. dunno yet.

reason = 1. bad mcat score 2. I was really confused about whether i wanted to do an MD or Phd or both - couldn't make up my mind really until really my senior year. Now I really really know what I want to do and why, so I feel more secure applying this second round anyway.

I think DrDarwin was being facetious ;)
Tons of people take time off and get into top schools; I know many myself. If anything, it just helps your application (as long as you're not doing absolutely nothing with your time).