Letter of Intent "Top 3/Top 2"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Emh_omega-323

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently writing an update for a school that openly states they highly value LOIs and solicited them from interviewees. I love this school and it's definitely among my top 2 or 3 choices. I can't honestly say I will definitely go there if accepted and don't worry, I'm not going to lie.

That said, I'm worried "you're in my top 2" sounds too much like "you're not number 1." Is it still worth including in the letter or is it better to leave out. Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm currently writing an update for a school that openly states they highly value LOIs and solicited them from interviewees. I love this school and it's definitely among my top 2 or 3 choices. I can't honestly say I will definitely go there if accepted and don't worry, I'm not going to lie.

That said, I'm worried "you're in my top 2" sounds too much like "you're not number 1." Is it still worth including in the letter or is it better to leave out. Any thoughts?
Clarify: did you interview at all of your top 2-3 choices, and one of them is this school that wants love letters? How long ago was the interview?

Top 2-3 of the places I interviewed. The school that wants love letters does non-rolling decisions (out Feb) and I interviewed back in October.

Members don't see this ad :)

Better to leave that phrase out. Like with dating, saying "I love you, but not as much as this other person I've also been chatting with" isn't going to go well. But otherwise, give the school whatever they want to hear: I love your innovative curriculum, PBL is totally my jam, I can't wait for mandatory attendance and virtual anatomy (note: it's just not the same imo), I've always wanted to live in the middle of nowhere, and driving to 10 different hospitals for clerkships sounds absolutely delightful as I'll get to see so many systems, whee! Just my thoughts.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 9 users
In one or two sentences (without using any of the jargon phrases I'm using in this reply), I would also re-emphasize your unique/diverse background and perspective as a valuable addition to the school's learning environment. Remind them of the alignment of your mission fit and core values with the opportunities the programs highlight (or a few they should be).

Would this be your first or second time to send a LOI to these programs? For the one that you speak of that wants attention, be strategic in case you need to write another LOI right before decisions are made (say 4 weeks from now).

That said, I'm worried "you're in my top 2" sounds too much like "you're not number 1."
That's a good way of having them reply, "Have fun at the other school, and good luck"

Intent means intent, not interest. This isn't like trying to get someone to go to the prom with you.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Sounds like Mayo: just send them a letter of interest and let them know you are highly interested in attending. You do not need to use that phrase

Reactions: 1 users

Don't say they are among your top X. Just talk about the things that you find exciting and attractive. When writing that letter, think as if this is the only school that accepted you and provide all the reasons you'd love to attend.

Linda

Last edited:
Agree with above, I would avoid any sort of language that compares to other schools, and just use something like "If accepted, I would be thrilled to attend XSOM."

Reactions: 2 users
We all know Mayo is a weird bird, so if that is the school say whatever you want to in order to stroke their egos.

Otherwise, I would not say top x in a letter unless x=1

We all know Mayo is a weird bird, so if that is the school say whatever you want to in order to stroke their egos.

Otherwise, I would not say top x in a letter unless x=1
It is in fact Mayo. Didn't use the wording but I realized they were pretty explicit about update letter = not in your top, letter of interest = top 3, letter of intent =1 in their solicitation email. So made a personalized email with flattery and labelled it a letter of interest.

Reactions: 1 users