Glide year - what to do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

j127

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all. I'm a postbacc student about to start applying for the 2009 cycle. I will be done with my pre-req classes as of July and am trying to figure out what to do during the glide year. I'm thinking a medically related job would be best - does anyone have any suggestions on positions that do not require clinical experience beforehand? I'm also considering taking MPH classes, as I eventually do want to obtain an MPH degree as well. Does anyone know of any schools in california that let non-degree students take MPH classes?

Thanks - any other advice on what to do during this year would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm planning on staying at my software job, TFing gen chem, and continuing my volunteer job as a rape crisis medical advocate. I don't know much about MPH options, sorry! Interesting question though.

During my glide year I worked as a ER technician. Not an EMT, which requires additional training. The hospital trained me on the job.

It provided wonderful experiences that helped me during the first year of med school.

Members don't see this ad :)
A few people I know (myself included...although I am not nearly as close to applying yet as you are) have done AmeriCorps.

I'm not sure if you are familiar with it but its basically a domestic version of the Peace Corps. I know there are placements across the US (in California I believe the placement is in San Francisco..not sure if there are any more)

Its a great experience; you get paid a stipend (not much though), its an 11 month comittment and its pretty flexible (in terms of taking days off for your interviews and such). You also get money once you complete your service (to be applied to school expenses).

If you want to have a health related job and work with the underserved community..look into the Health Corps part of AmeriCorps specifically, that's what I'm doing (in NY) and it does really open up your eyes to a lot of the health disparities going on in the US.

Good luck!

During my glide year I worked as a ER technician. Not an EMT, which requires additional training. The hospital trained me on the job.

It provided wonderful experiences that helped me during the first year of med school.

I think this is a great suggestion. Something like Americorps would probably be good if you're lacking in philanthropic/volunteer ECs.

Essentially, I think it's best to consider how you can help your application. When you start interviewing later this year, it would be great to say "yeah, when I was working as an ER tech at _______ or during the 6 weeks I shadowed Dr. _________ I got some really incredible experience."

Maybe you already have good clinical exposure; my general suggestion is to find what's weak in your app (as it relates to medical work, research, or community service) and beef up on that. I would proceed with caution down the MPH path - not because it isn't terribly valuable (for some people I think it can be) but because you don't want to put so much emphasis on that (through your essays and interviews) that you obscure your interest in the MD. Man, my sentences are not pretty.

Good luck!

Not in Cali, but UNC Chapel Hill offers distance education MPH classes. You would need to obtain admission to the Certificate in Core Concepts of Public Health Program. There is no financial aid. The classes are top notch (same curriculum as residential students) at a top school for Public Health nin the nation. No real grades, however, you get like pass/fail type grades so if you start, finish the certificate. You could do it in a year if you took a few classes at a time.

Hope that helps... www.unc.edu

Also, Johns Hopkins has public health distance ed classes... and it seems like a few schools in florida. Tuition will be your main issue...

Hopefully you can find something residential and cheap... have fun! (took a lot of grad classes in public health... was my passion for a bit)