Global DPT programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MuscleAndBones4Life

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm currently making a list of PT schools I'm interested in applying to this summer. Does anyone know of schools with global/study abroad semesters? I know a bunch of schools have alternative spring break trips and such, but I'm looking for a whole semester or clinical. Global PT is one thing i'm passionate about and would like to learn about. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey all,

I'm currently making a list of PT schools I'm interested in applying to this summer. Does anyone know of schools with global/study abroad semesters? I know a bunch of schools have alternative spring break trips and such, but I'm looking for a whole semester. Global PT is one thing i'm passionate about and would like to learn about. Thanks!
Food for thought, when I went on an interview to one of the schools, Briar Cliff University, one of the current students is considering to go to clinics in Australia.

I know Elon's program has a number of 8 week clinicals they offer abroad. They even were in the middle of working with some students to start new clinical affiliations abroad while I was interviewing there in December. I was very impressed.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's fine if you want to do a clinical rotation overseas - in fact, I'd encourage it. However, if you plan to work as a PT in a different country after graduation, you may want to re-think your plans. Most first-world countries have a high unemployment rate (higher than ours) and fiercely protect their job market. Getting a work permit will be very difficult. In addition, there are more barriers, and rightly so, anytime something medical is involved. I used to work for the UN in a lot of different countries and have first-hand experience with this stuff.

The University of Mary has a two week service experience in Guatemala (PT, wheelchair fitting, and home building), and we are expanding this to include Peru. We have just started a clinical site in Peru, with our first student going there in March and April.