Global Vet Issues?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

russellang

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was getting ready for interviews and have noticed a few people say that in the interviews they were asked about global vet issues.

Now Im sure you can talk about avian influenza, animal welfare, One health and food safety since they are applicable in the states and worldwide but I was looking for any website suggestions for specific examples of global vet issues.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I talked about vets being the first line in fighting zoonotics. They asked for an example, and I talked about how vet's help prevent rabies through vaccinations, education, working with the state for testing of suspicious animals, etc. I'm not sure if it's what they were looking for, but they moved on afterwards and didn't come back to it.

Don't have specific websites to refer you to, but if you wanted to have a topic to talk about, another good one would be food safety, and all the juicy political issues that come up with imports/exports.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't have specific websites to refer you to, but if you wanted to have a topic to talk about, another good one would be food safety, and all the juicy political issues that come up with imports/exports.

Could you explain more about this? I'm interested in food safety, but I guess I haven't really kept up with issues regarding imports and exports and how that relates to veterinary medicine?

Just want to bump this thread for those of us interviewing for the C/O 2017!! Any ideas?

Food animal medicine with the booming population, and of course zoonosis is still a big issue. I recently did a project on the transfer of MRSI/MRSA between pets and owners. Anybody have specific issues they can think of?

How about the big drought in the midwest this year and what that is going to mean for the pork and beef industries. Aka bacon shortage.

I signed up for this when I was interviewing to stay up to date on some things

https://www.smartbrief.com/avma/index.jsp?campaign=avmafooter

:love: SmartBrief

Maybe things like diseases (zoonotic or just in certain species) being carried around the world by people traveling with pets and shipping animals around - it's happening more and more, and places that don't have quarantine restrictions need to be sure that diseases aren't being brought in, or at least monitor that.

Or how about population health of important wild species? Economically important fish species, for example.